1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

* * * - -
3 votes

if this tablet is rooted, do you get to move apps to sd card?

• Please log in to reply

cbill

cbill

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:56 PM #11

To all of you interested in the mSD access problem, the guys in the SGT 7+ forum have found a "fix" for this problem. The SGT 7+ runs Honeycomb, but the fix is a simple permission change, and therefore might work on the SGT 2 7.

I am going to explore this possibility, and encourage all of you familiar with modifying android script to do the same. The link below will take you to the thread. The fix seems very simple, so perhaps it will work on the SGT 2 7 ICS. Unfortunely most of my background is with WINDOWS, so, while I know what needs to be done, at this point I am not sure of the process needed to do it. Hopefully some of you more experienced modders can check this out and let us all know if it is helpful.

http://forum.xda-dev...ghlight=sd card

Cbill

Edited by cbill, 11 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

• 0 Likes
Cbill "Even old men like their toys!"
------------------
SGT 2 7; SGT 7+ (returned, no ICS);Transformer 102,ICS ; Xoom,ICS; Nook Color, mSD/CM9; LG OV (root)

cbill

cbill

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:15 AM #12

Regarding moving files to the extSD; I have just verified that the App "Filemanager HD" will do this. To test it I made a folder named "Apps" in my extSD, and copied my "Youtube" apk to that folder from "system".

This does Not mean that apps will run from or store data to the extSD. but it does provide the ability to move general data to the extSD from within the phone. This App is made by "Rythem", and I believe it is available through the "Play" store. I point out that I have only transfered one file, and am otherwise unfamiliar with this App. Perhaps others can test it and chime in.

Cbill
  • 0 Likes
Cbill "Even old men like their toys!"
------------------
SGT 2 7; SGT 7+ (returned, no ICS);Transformer 102,ICS ; Xoom,ICS; Nook Color, mSD/CM9; LG OV (root)

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:52 PM #13

This isn't a soap opera. Cut the drama out now please.

Back on topic....
  • 0 Likes

OP themango

themango

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:58 PM #14

so you delete posts? i wanted to try out this miles guys app he said works but now its deleted. all because 1 guy cant see a post and not respond.
  • 0 Likes

mmilestone

mmilestone

• 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:03 PM #15

Thank you.

To those wanting to move apps to sd, here's an app you could actually use -> Link2SD it's in the Play Store and the dev has his own site at http://www.link2sd.info/

Just read the instructions, read the instructions again, make sure you've read the instructions, then go.
I've used it. It works as long as you don't use it for apps with widgets and system apps.
Some apps might not work with it but a lot of others do work seamlessly.

Now, before you all do so, you acknowledge responsibility for your actions on your own device and not hold developers, me, nor any other helpful (or unhelpful) members, responsible if you end up with a $249.00 Brick. :-O

You basically have to partition your external SD card. On first use, the app would let you select which partition to use for the moved/linked apps.

I used ext2 for a 2.17 GB second partition(although 1Gb would have been okay).

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • 0 Likes

GRZLA

GRZLA

Android Beginner

• 310 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:12 PM #16

Thank you.

To those wanting to move apps to sd, here's an app you could actually use -> Link2SD it's in the Play Store and the dev has his own site at http://www.link2sd.info/

Just read the instructions, read the instructions again, make sure you've read the instructions, then go.
I've used it. It works as long as you don't use it for apps with widgets and system apps.
Some apps might not work with it but a lot of others do work seamlessly.

Now, before you all do so, you acknowledge responsibility for your actions on your own device and not hold developers, me, nor any other helpful (or unhelpful) members, responsible if you end up with a $249.00 Brick. :-O

You basically have to partition your external SD card. On first use, the app would let you select which partition to use for the moved/linked apps.

I used ext2 for a 2.17 GB second partition(although 1Gb would have been okay).

Posted Image

Posted Image

That screenshot shows you have moved apps to enternal memory not external. The internal storage on this device is labeled the sdcard. You can move apps to that with this but you will be partitioning the internal memory to do so. You should be moving the apps to extsdcard, that is the literal name of it. If you use root explorer you can find it under mnt/extsdcard.

I wouldn't recommend this application.

Edit: Why is your external SD card mounted as sdcard in mnt? It looks like it is on something external but it is hard to tell.

Edited by GRZLA, 23 May 2012 - 03:25 PM.

• 0 Likes

mmilestone

mmilestone

• 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:34 PM #17

In order to use this app, you have to have an external SD Card which you will partition with your PC using a Card Reader ( NOT with your phone).
Set one partition to FAT32 (for your regular external SD use) and the other partition to either ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.
I recommend ext2 as it is compatible with more roms or stock rom.
I used EASEUS Partition Master for that task,
Once done partitioning, put your external SD Card back into the device.
Install the Link2SD app then run it.
On first run, it will ask you which partition you want to use for your moved apps.
Don't be an idiot - Select the right partition (ext2, in my case) so you wouldn't end up like GRZLA.
If you select the wrong partition you would end up moving those apps back to the internal sdcard like a dumbass.

As soon as you've selected the partition you want, it will prompt you to reboot. If not, reboot anyway for good measure.

After the reboot, give it a few minutes to fully load all apps then run the Link2SD app.
It may give you a dark screen like nothing is happening --- just wait. If you feel it is taking too long, select the Menu then go Back.
It will then show you a list of apps. Beware of moving widget apps.
In each app, make sure you select Create Link, and not Move to SD

There is also a "Multi-Select" option in the menu so you can move all your games/apps in one go.

Edited by NatemZ, 29 May 2012 - 11:17 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP themango

themango

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:53 PM #18

thanks this worked great, no more space probs.
  • 0 Likes

quangnhut123

quangnhut123

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:34 PM #19

Use link2sd for best way to move !
  • 0 Likes

CXENTE

CXENTE

• 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:14 PM #20

It didn't work for me?? ,, what settings do I need too put on it,, like example (EXT2) logical on half 7GB, and FAT32 (primary) on other 7GB?? ..or both logical?? . a little help ..:-)
  • 0 Likes