1 votes

Creating a Droid 2 Unbricking Method

• Please log in to reply

OP vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:09 AM #1

I have a friend that got bricked doing the 4.5.621 update (completely stock, unrooted). I would like to create the same unbricking method that was there for the d2g before the official sbf was released.

I believe I know how to do this but I need some help from the community. I need dumps (dd of the block device) of a stock unmodified system, boot, and recovery from a d2 that received the 4.5.621 update. If you don't know how to do this, reply in the thread and I can help you. I would post step by step directions but I don't know which block device each of the partitions is on. I do know how to find out though. No need to clutter the thread with useless information if you already know how to do this.

If someone can get me these files, once I test on my friends d2 I will post my modified sbf and instructions so other people with this problem can unbrick their d2s.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  • 3 Likes
Remember - Remain respectful to others as you would wish to be treated.
Please read the RULES before posting.

nomad5133

nomad5133

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:13 PM #2

I will praise you if you can succeed in doing this!! :o

My phones bricked and had to buy a droid 4, but I'd like to have my D2 as a good backup lol
  • 0 Likes
Current: Motorola Droid 4 - Stock GB
Retired: Motorola Droid 2 - Stuck on stock .621 update no root :(

OP vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:55 PM #3

well... on the phone that had the failed update, I was able to still get in to recovery so I just flashed the update again and phone is fine. However, 621 can't be rooted, so I have no way of pulling the needed files. I will have the Droid 2 for a few more hours if someone comes up with a method for me to pull boot, system, recovery without being rooted or a new temp root for 621.
  • 0 Likes

nomad5133

nomad5133

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:08 PM #4

Might wanna talk to x13thangelX I think he got a system dump from someone!

http://rootzwiki.com...21-system-dump/
  • 0 Likes
Current: Motorola Droid 4 - Stock GB
Retired: Motorola Droid 2 - Stuck on stock .621 update no root :(

robertdismonet

robertdismonet

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:21 PM #5

I hope you find a way to create this fix! And I'm sure everyone else that is stuck with a recently bricked Droid 2 will appreciate this! I'd try and donate to you if you do find one! :tongue2:
  • 0 Likes

OP vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM #6

well I will have my D2 for a day and do have a way to do this. The question is if I have time. Have a very busy day job. Will do my best though folks
  • 1 Likes

ljbaumer

ljbaumer

Android Beginner

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:30 PM #7

I have an old DROID 2, I updated to the HTC Rezound but if you need a testing device PM me and I will see what I can do to help out, I can't send it to you but if you tell me what to do I can do it for you, I am good with ADB, Logcat, and other testing items.

Good Luck,
Ljbaumer
  • 0 Likes
"Do you realize if it weren't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight?"

Hopefully what I said in my post helped you out! If it did then please click the like this button on my post! :lol:
I just started using twitter so please follow me @ljbaumer99!

tejas5

tejas5

Average Android

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:48 AM #8

Do I have a phone with the software configuration that would be of any use to you finding a way to allow us to root once again our Droid 2 phones with the latest Verizon updates? If so, tell me what I need to do to provide you with what you need. Obviously, with CWM installed I've done some manipulating at times with getting root, both using my PC and at one time just the phone itself without the PC, but I think the last time was with my PC and Pete's Motorola Root Tools, whereas before when I flashed back I used RSDLite. If I can help just step me through it, but I really don't want to brick this phone as my other one is an old Windows Mobile that I have not used for over a year and a half.

System Version:
4.5.621.A955.Verizon.en.US

Model:
DROID2

Android Version:

Baseband Version:
BP_C-01.09.15P

Kernal Version:
2.6.32.9-gb9e12dd
mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1

Build:
4.5.1_57_DR4-51

Current Recovery:
ClockworkMod 5.0.2.0

Previously rooted but has been broken since OTA update

Custom Logo installed still working
Custom Boot Animation installed still working

After shutdown it always boots to the custom logo followed by stopping at the ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0 screen
which offers
- reboot system now
- apply update from sdcard
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- install zip from sdcard
- backup and restore
- mounts and storage
- advanced
- power off

I then normally just press the camera button on the side with it on "- reboot system now" and it boots up just fine showing the custom logo and custom boot animation but without any problems.

I have on several occasions selected "- wipe cache partition" when I thought the phone was sluggish, but I've been reluctant to try anything else for fear of bricking the phone.

When I run rootcheck it shows that I have BusyBox installed but no useable superuser and no root, as root is not properly configured or was not granted. The BusyBox is version 1.19.0git

Thank you for trying to help us out with this even though our phones are starting to become dated!

tejas5
  • 0 Likes

OP vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:58 AM #9

you should be able to just push a Superuser install zip if you have clockwork. I DO have a root method, but it is destructive (wipes data). The root method was discovered at XDA. I will give credit when I post. Major progress over the last few days. Luckily I still have my Droid 2. I hope to have something posted tonight or tomorrow.
  • 2 Likes

MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable

Super User

• 312 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM #10

Data shouldn't be a huge deal. Most people who were rooted before probably have Titanium, so they can always restore apps that way. I'm sure everyone will deal with the necessary headaches to get root back. No doubt the work you guys have put in will be greatly appreciated.
  • 0 Likes
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."