- - - - -

CM9 vs. AOKP vs. Gummy

• Please log in to reply

OP Jabberwockish

Jabberwockish

Every day I'm galumphin'

• 165 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:40 PM #1

I finally have some time to try something new on my D2G (i.e., I won't be in too bad a jam if I screw something up and render my phone unusable for a couple days), but I don't want to spend a lot of time switching back and forth between multiple ROMs, so I thought you kind folks might be able to help me choose one.

I've been following development of the "big three" ICS ROMs (CM9, AOKP, and Gummy—I am not interested in MIUI; I'd sooner use an actual iPhone), and it looks like all three have matured enough to meet my needs as a daily driver. I'd like to know more about the pros and cons of each, though, especially in comparison to each other.

So if you feel like chiming in, please tell me: Which is your favorite flavor of ICS, and why?
  • 0 Likes
Before you ask a question, try searching for an answer. If you still need help, ask your question the smart way.

BlueGrizzlies

BlueGrizzlies

• 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:31 PM #2

I've tried all 3. Of the two, I'd say Gummy and AOKP are superior to CM9 just for the fact they add more features to the base ROM and usually get all the improvements made to CM9 as well.

Gummy and AOKP are pretty similiar in my opinion (a number of users of Gummy claim that it's pretty damn fast); the big reason I use AOKP over Gummy is because AOKP's lockscreen options are a little more robust (I like having the ability to always have the slide unlock and having the ability to have the lockscreen delay work after you turn off the screen yourself...and the toggles are nice too).

However, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Edited by BlueGrizzlies, 26 April 2012 - 08:32 PM.

• 0 Likes

INeedaDroid2GROM

INeedaDroid2GROM

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:20 PM #3

I've tried all 3. Of the two, I'd say Gummy and AOKP are superior to CM9 just for the fact they add more features to the base ROM and usually get all the improvements made to CM9 as well.

Gummy and AOKP are pretty similiar in my opinion (a number of users of Gummy claim that it's pretty damn fast); the big reason I use AOKP over Gummy is because AOKP's lockscreen options are a little more robust (I like having the ability to always have the slide unlock and having the ability to have the lockscreen delay work after you turn off the screen yourself...and the toggles are nice too).

I've been stuck on deciding also. I'll try Gummy.

Edited by INeedaDroid2GROM, 27 April 2012 - 06:20 PM.

• 0 Likes

ParkerNisbet1

ParkerNisbet1

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:26 PM #4

I agree with BlueGrizzlies, that AOKP is better... But both are excellent roms right now so you can't really go wrong with either. I have flashed all four roms (including MIUI), but have stuck with AOKP.

Edit: Sorry I never added why. For me it seems to have a better battery life and a little more customizability than Gummy, along with the fact that it is very smooth and I have yet to find any glitches. I have only changed this rom slightly with a APN to allow MMS, but otherwise it is golden!

Edited by ParkerNisbet1, 30 April 2012 - 08:28 PM.

• 0 Likes

Cstryon

Cstryon

Android Apprentice

• 295 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:12 PM #5

I agree with BlueGrizzlies, that AOKP is better... But both are excellent roms right now so you can't really go wrong with either. I have flashed all four roms (including MIUI), but have stuck with AOKP.

Edit: Sorry I never added why. For me it seems to have a better battery life and a little more customizability than Gummy, along with the fact that it is very smooth and I have yet to find any glitches. I have only changed this rom slightly with a APN to allow MMS, but otherwise it is golden!

What is an APN and how did you use that to get mms?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

bikedude880

bikedude880

You can haz Developer Status

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:18 AM #6

Might be too much info:
http://en.wikipedia....cess_Point_Name

And to quote the appropriate part:

More specifically, the Access Point Name (APN) identifies an IP Packet Data Network (PDN), that a mobile data user wants to communicate with. In addition to identifying a PDN, an APN may also be used to define the type of service, (e.g. connection to wireless application protocol (WAP) server, multimedia messaging service (MMS)), that is provided by the PDN.

So essentially the APN identifies what services you can use on the network.
  • 0 Likes
Click 'Like' or Donate if you've enjoyed my work and snarky sense of humor.

Droid2 Global: Running Android the way it was meant to, free from the bonds of Motorola software.

Got a problem with my responses? Read this: http://www.catb.org/...ions.html#intro

Cstryon

Cstryon

Android Apprentice

• 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:07 PM #7

Might be too much info:
http://en.wikipedia....cess_Point_Name

And to quote the appropriate part:

So essentially the APN identifies what services you can use on the network.

Interesting

• 0 Likes

ParkerNisbet1

ParkerNisbet1

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:08 PM #8

Here is the website I used to create my APN... (http://www.jayceooi....e-internet-mms/) Search up your particular location and wireless provider and create the corresponding APN. For my phone, you can find APN settings in Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names
This may differ by phone (and rom running) but otherwise this should be all you need.

Edited by ParkerNisbet1, 01 May 2012 - 08:09 PM.

• 2 Likes

iamjackspost

iamjackspost

Android Beginner

• 74 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:46 AM #9

Thanks for the info! I'm on gummy right now, and this fixed the mms problem.
  • 0 Likes

ExodusC

ExodusC

Android Apprentice

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:20 PM #10

After making the new APN as suggested (on AOKP) I can receive MMS just fine, but my sending is sporadic- someone has to MMS me first, then I can send while their message is downloading- at least that's how it seems to be working.
  • 0 Likes