Android OS Forum banner

[How-to] [SBF] unbricking & root D2g 629

166K views 274 replies 101 participants last post by  ntzx 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thread updated again&again,please reread it again&agian(Orz)

last edit:some one from china just released offical 629 sbf
sbf extracted file signature info
RDL3.smg: signature not found!
RDL1.smg: signature not found!
CG31.smg version is 2
CG33.smg version is 1
CG34.smg version is 1
CG35.smg version is 2
CG39.smg version is 1
CG42.smg: signature not found!
CG47.smg version is 2
CG61.smg version is 1
CG64.smg version is 1
CG65.smg version is 1
CG66.smg: signature not found!
edit 4-18:made some stupid dummy move,system flash twice while unbricking and may have chance to appear "no signal"&"can't mount sdcard" beacuse of wrong "devtree",so I repack a new sbf and rewrite steps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Font Screenshot Number Circle
Rectangle Office equipment Font Parallel Screenshot

Yeah,629 is rooted!
And yes,we got a way to unbrick the downgraded 629 d2g which stuck in BL and showing this below

It works, confirmed on a verizon flashed (pre-flashed firmware from warehouse) .629 phone, which likely means it will work even if VZW gives you a pre-flashed phone or flashes your phone in store. Thank you!
Thanks for the info!

Read carefully all below this before you do anything to your phone
Unbrick or 629 root just follow the steps below
1.Use RSD to flash offical 608 sbf(dont worry about downgrade,it will unbrick after the next step)
2.Use RSD to flash this repacked 629 sbf(it will flash 629 BL=2 signed boot,recovery,cdt)
3.reboot to recovery,wipe data&cache(Not required if you have important data in it,but if you stuck at bootanimation loop then you have to wipe it)
4.use superoneclick to grant root access(or any zergrush script)
5.install otarootkeeper(can be found in play store,it's free),backup su,then unroot
6.reboot to recovery,reapply 629 OTA update.zip,reboot.(thanks silver6054 for the ota zip link)
How to boot recovery&apply zip update:
1.Press X + Power and hold to power up the phone(if your phone is on,power off first),release until you see the recovery
2.Press Vol up&down at the same time to unlock the bootmenu
3.Choose the moto-signed OTA zip file and apply the update
4.reboot
7.open otarootkeeper,restore su

Then it's done.

PS:Tested with 2 OTA 629 device for rooting&2 bricked 629 downgraded phone unbricked
PS2:SBF repacking tool comes from here,many thank to Skrilax_CZ http://modmymobile.c...-22-2011-a.html
PS3:Now confirm reflash offical 608 sbf+repacked 629 sbf can made a full reset like normal offical sbf.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, I think a number of us want to hear other's experience! I really want this to work but I am not willing to risk my currently working (but unrooted) phone trying until some guinea pigs, I mean people, try first. As Davepemer says, it would be good to know if it can restore a bricked phone, as those users have little to lose.

#8 ·
Hi, I have D2G brick, I tried a new set of SFB (608bl 1.sbf =) and not me. When the flash is just ending so Restarts the phone and then stops bootloader error message:
bootloader
D0.11
Err: A5, 70,70,00,1 F

It just does not work.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you ..... I almost enjoyed that the problem is resolved.
Hornet99
PS: My English is not very good, sorry.

#9 ·
ad2)
Hi, i bricket my D2g by new sbf release by verizon. After that iam still loking for repair. Now i try this solution by User "Average Android" But its not working for me. Telephone restarts at the near end of flashing rom and restarts, after that show me till she same error of bootloader.
thanks Hornet99

#11 ·
Hi from bosnia
me2,[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]almost enjoyed that the problem is resolved. [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
is there hope now for unbrick d2g? 629 is rooted right? so we need w8 for official 629 sbf again or some master hacker can make full 629 sbf?[/background]

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
#15 ·
Attention here ,guys.
The poster is my friend. The post, it means that he found the way to root 2.3.4/4.5.629 on d2g, not unbrick the MEM-MAP Blank Error device. To follow what he posted, make sure your device is working on. 629 and not bricked.
Sorry for both him and my badly English.

#21 ·
The repacked .608 SBF is not available from Dropbox. Whoever has it, reupload and share the link, please. Thanks in advance.

#30 ·
So, let me get this into something I can understand a little better...

We are flashing .608, bricking the phone..
Then we are flashing the hacked .629 bootloader to unbrick it, at which point, we are on .608?
Then we are rooting .608, and then installing OTA rootkeeper...
Then we are updating back to .629, then using rootkeeper to reapply the SU binaries?

I'm hoping that is what I read.

So, if I am correct, we are basically doing what the smart folk who installed rootkeeper did before updating? Just, post-update?

#31 ·
Also - is this a "real" downgrade? Or will you always have what I'm guessing is the new bootloader/kernel (but then you wouldn't be able to root it at .608 before re-upgrading...)?

Can we SBF back to Froyo and .608 at will using the normal SBF files?

Can anyone explain what exactly that repacked sbf does to the phone?

Been following this .629 situation for a while. I'm surprised there's only a trickle of posts happening on this. Is it just that everyone's sitting back and waiting?

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
silver6054, what's much more important is that this lets you use custom ROMs and provides a failsafe: you can always SBF back to 4.5.608 and then flash this new partial SBF in case something goes wrong.

I also now possess the same combined .608+.629 SBF image that was mentioned earlier, which can be, I guess, used to flash it in one go. Retrieved it from some Chinese forums. This new custom SBF linked in the original post seems to be that .608+.629 SBF image with .608 content removed.

#35 ·
silver6054, what's much more important is that this lets you use custom ROMs and provides a failsafe: you can always SBF back to 4.5.608 and then flash this new partial SBF in case something goes wrong.
Yes, true (at least for those interested in ROMs which is probably the majority of rootzwiki users!) However, I was so happy to finally get voice/data back that I didn't try a custom ROM.

#38 ·
Well... sbf'd to .608, did the mini hacked sbf... had to factory wipe to get out of a boot loop... oh well... it's for the best, I needed a fresh start, my SD card mounting was being iffy... anyway... started to root and wondered why the heck it wasn't rooting through pete's or superoneclick... heh... guess who the idot who forgot to turn on USB debugging was... anyway, pete's didn't work for some reason, but SOC did. ran ota rootkeeper and am currently downloading the .629 update. I wish I had kept a copy of the update.zip, as wifi is not currently working. hopefully it will after the update, like silver6054 experienced.

then comes the installing of my apps, one by one lol. I didn't use TiBu, because I don't mind losing app data all that much.

Will check back in after the update to see if root is still there.

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
2.35 is Droid 2 isn't it, this is for D2G, are you asking for this method ported to Droid 2?
edit:
or rather modified for Droid 2, using D2 SBF and update .621

#41 ·
Firstly I want to say thank you this patch. The mere fact that I got the phone to boot into something working is amazing. My question is what exactly does the file do? and what does that mean for custom roms? How would you go about installing a Custom Rom from this point forward?

Thanks again

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
check this out http://and-developer.../partitions:cdt
and I dont use custom rom based on 2nd init(like cm)
so you have to test it yourself
btw,since I've confrimed offical 608 sbf+repacked unoffical 629 sbf=normal sbf reset,there should be no need to worry about bricking the phone again(unless moto update the cdt.bin again and you accepted the ota = =|||)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.