Rate this Topic

1 votes

ICS(Miui, CM9, AOKP, or Gummy)

• Please log in to reply

OP jagrave

jagrave

• 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:07 PM #1

I don't think this has been asked yet, but if it has, my apologies.

Out of those, which is recommended for stability, battery life, and speed?
I know that they share some of the same bugs and all have a certain level of customization, but I think I read that AOKP has the most customizations. So, all around, which is the most recommended?

Thanks for the help and info.
  • 0 Likes

albinoman109

albinoman109

Developer!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:13 PM #2

My AOKP build for sure. The battery life is amazing.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

OP jagrave

jagrave

• 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:24 PM #3

My AOKP build for sure. The battery life is amazing.

AOKP-DX-KANG Beta2-482012.zip is that the one you're talking about? it's the one that has some extras.
  • 0 Likes

albinoman109

albinoman109

Developer!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:30 PM #4

AOKP-DX-KANG Beta2-482012.zip is that the one you're talking about? it's the one that has some extras.

Thats a test build. I would suggest the build in the op.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

bmt11

bmt11

Super User

• 261 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:32 AM #5

MIUI roms usuaully have considerably better battery life but with the new V4(ICS one) it's probably still too early to say that conclusively.

MIUI and Gummy for the droid x are on official release schedules now so that can go either way for stability, normally it would be good but if something is added to the pipeline that doesn't play along nicely with out particular phone it could cause issues. But they will get updates more often either way which is good if you're a "crack flasher".

AOKP easily has the most customizations(other than UI from MIUI) but it's also the youngest in the development for the X.

CM9...well I've been bored with cyanogenmod roms for awhile so I can't really give an unbiased report.

Speed has been pretty much consistent across all that I have tried.

I'd personally recommend gummy for the stock look or MIUI if you get bored of that, I run the latter as my phone rom and the former in a slot as my main one.

Edited by bmt11, 15 April 2012 - 01:37 AM.

• 0 Likes

innesness

innesness

StrawberryDroid

• 171 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:49 AM #6

I've flashed every Droid X ICS ROM on this site, haha - and I'd definitely recommend at least flashing Gummy 1.0 to try it on. The speed, stability & features on this baby are amazing, not to mention the awesome team constantly pumping out fixes/updates.

If you're looking more for customization & battery life specifically I'd recommend AOKP since it edges Gummy out, but very slightly from my experience.

Edited by innesness, 15 April 2012 - 03:53 AM.

• 0 Likes

Goose306

Goose306

Goosie Pizzle

• 2,582 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:51 AM #7

MIUI roms usuaully have considerably better battery life but with the new V4(ICS one) it's probably still too early to say that conclusively.

MIUI and Gummy for the droid x are on official release schedules now so that can go either way for stability, normally it would be good but if something is added to the pipeline that doesn't play along nicely with out particular phone it could cause issues. But they will get updates more often either way which is good if you're a "crack flasher".

AOKP easily has the most customizations(other than UI from MIUI) but it's also the youngest in the development for the X.

CM9...well I've been bored with cyanogenmod roms for awhile so I can't really give an unbiased report.

Speed has been pretty much consistent across all that I have tried.

I'd personally recommend gummy for the stock look or MIUI if you get bored of that, I run the latter as my phone rom and the former in a slot as my main one.

I'd agree most with BMT here. For speed and stability I'd say either Gummy, CM9, or MIUI are going to be the most reliable at this point.

Personal opinion, I also agree I have gotten tired of CM a bit myself as well. I still do like some YACK goodness if I go back to GB (that and DefX have become my fallbacks when I just need everything to *work*) but I feel CM9 lacks in features what the rest bring to the table. This is in no way a slight to the dev's (heck most of the dev's who brought CM9 up and coming are doing other ICS work now) and I know without CM9 first we probably wouldn't have ICS on the X yet, but I just feel its more of the plain jane of the options available now.

Personally for either of those three, I saw the best reliability and battery life on Gummy, hands-down. When on Gummy running Boostedassv2 and underclocked to 800 it was still plenty snappy and I was getting around 48+ hours battery life. Battery life is the most subjective subject in the world when it comes to ROM flashing, so obviously YMMV, but after putting all of them through their paces I can comfortably say for me Gummy was the best for that.

Finally, that being said AOKP is by far and away the most customizable. As Angel said, the better question to ask is what can't you customize rather than what can you customize, because the list is shorter. There is two different builds, B28 which is Albino's and B31 which is Angel's; Angel's is also getting updated whenever there is a new build out whereas Albino's is just staying built on B28 as-is now. I've been running Angel's B31 build and while I can't say battery life is the same as Gummy I'm also running 36+ hours on it now that the caches have settled in. The only thing that is really "broken" compared to other ICS is the home key which can be fixed pretty easily. Now that I've been running AOKP and getting used to it, I'm falling in love with it pretty heavily. Just everything that can be done, got my weather in my drop-down, got a landscape lockscreen (I'm almost always in landscape so that makes it much easier for me, and its the last thing I needed in landscape). I dunno. Just everything is there and customizable the way I want it. Sure, I could always want *more* but its AOKP, so it'll probably be coming sometime down the pipe... ;)
  • 0 Likes

rudyy

rudyy

Supporting Member

• 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:52 PM #8

I've been on a number of ICS ROMs since Christmas, and my dx seems happiest on AOKP. FWIW.
  • 0 Likes

Ardon

Ardon

• 40 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:55 PM #9

I prefer Gummy and Angel's Aokp builds. Cant really decide on which one i want to stay on so im constantly switching lol

Sent from my Droid X
  • 0 Likes

woohoo033

woohoo033

• 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:40 AM #10

I keep hearing people say battery life is great on AOKP and Gummy. Does this mean that they are similar? I don't have an extra phone to play around with and I can't have much downtime with mine, so I would like to pick one that I will be using for awhile.

Gummy 1.0 just came out and soon Thangel's B32 of AOKP will be out.

Edited by woohoo033, 16 April 2012 - 07:43 AM.

• 0 Likes