[ROOT] Pantech Burst + Leaked Firmware

• Please log in to reply

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:46 PM #1

update:
attn1 has provided a working recovery http://tau.shadowchi...-presto.img.zip to install it use fastboot
"fastboot flash recovery cwm-5.0.2.7-presto.img" adb works while in recovery, just not in windows.

Original announcement + instructions:

http://www.androidpo...is-stupid-easy/

This is an at your own risk kind of thing.

Pantech Burst (aka Presto) Root
By Attn1, IOMonster (thecubed) and jcase

Special thanks to designgears, Rootzwiki and the testers.

This phone came with multiple hurdles, which resulted in two different root methods. The original required wiping the device, so we widthheld it for a few days as we knew this could come once we figured out the weird boot images. IOMonster stepped up, noted the needed for padding and odd ramdisk load address. Now we have a no wipe, simple and safe root for you.

Root Boot Image: (use fastboot boot prestoroot.img not fastboot flash)

http://goo.im/devs/j.../prestoroot.img

adb reboot bootloader
... wait for fastboot screen to show on phone
fastboot boot prestoroot.img
... wait for android to fully boot
adb reboot
.... Install Superuser app off the market.

Now for the leaked firmware, this was used in the original root method but is no longer needed, but might be worth playing with. It does wipe your device and will unroot it. This firmware may break things, I do not recommend flashing it at this time.

Provided by Rootzwiki & its super duper secret connection. To flash follow the instructions in the .doc file

ro.build.display.id=GRJ90
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.P13684.20120301.035104
ro.build.version.sdk=10
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.5
ro.build.date=Thu Mar 1 03:51:28 KST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1330541488

Leak Firmware:

http://goo.im/devs/jcase/14_P9070_FFW_SW_with_ins.zip

• 1 Likes
Please don't PM me here, I will not likely read it as I do not check often.

cdudeman

cdudeman

Android Beginner

• 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:23 PM #2

Awesome work guys!
  • 0 Likes

blandy

blandy

• 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:09 PM #3

Any chance this might work with the Pantech Element tablet that AT&T has been bundling with the Burst?
  • 0 Likes

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:10 PM #4

Any chance this might work with the Pantech Element tablet that AT&T has been bundling with the Burst?

I'm willing to work with people who have the element, just need someeone to get ahold of me and give me remote access.
  • 0 Likes
Please don't PM me here, I will not likely read it as I do not check often.

roman220

roman220

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:42 PM #5

I'm willing to work with people who have the element, just need someeone to get ahold of me and give me remote access.

I have element and could give remote access and help. Contact me (contact details in PM)
I already tried all known exploits without success, I think only way is exploiting att update system.

UPD: app from burst image works with element bootloader and founds a p4100. We need an image )

Edited by roman220, 11 April 2012 - 07:59 AM.

• 0 Likes

attn1

attn1

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM #6

I have element and could give remote access and help. Contact me (contact details in PM)
I already tried all known exploits without success, I think only way is exploiting att update system.

UPD: app from burst image works with element bootloader and founds a p4100. We need an image )

stop in the following IRC channel: http://webchat.freen...nels=#burstroot

I might be able to get this done for you.
  • 0 Likes

hect510

hect510

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:39 PM #7

Thank you, i signed up to this fourm to thank you, ^_^ but i find everything on here intresting
& quick question how long does it take to load up because i have been waiting half a hour alread (i think i messed up loading the image :scared: ) regardless thanks for helping bring the long awaited root :rolleyes:
  • 0 Likes

attn1

attn1

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:19 AM #8

The kernel source builds just fine. I'll be looking at some changes before long. As far as custom ROMS go, how does CM9 sound? I scored another Burst new in box (stilll sealed) today for dirt cheap. jznomoney has said he'd like to work on CM9 for it, but right now can't spend money on another phone. This leaves me with an extra Burst. I am not giving it away.

The goal has been reached, and jznomoney has his Burst.

Edited by attn1, 23 April 2012 - 05:32 PM.

• 0 Likes

greasyspoon

greasyspoon

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:16 PM #9

ATT just pushed that new firmware to my burst. It is still rooted. Any idea what changes it made? The firmware told me nothing.
  • 0 Likes

KSava

KSava

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:10 PM #10

Thank you, i signed up to this fourm to thank you, ^_^ but i find everything on here intresting
& quick question how long does it take to load up because i have been waiting half a hour alread (i think i messed up loading the image :scared: ) regardless thanks for helping bring the long awaited root :rolleyes:

Thanks to the original poster as well!

And -- I also have the same issue. It is just hanging on <waiting for device>. I do have USB Debugging on. What I do is plug in my phone via USB to my computer, and then follow:

adb reboot bootloader
... wait for fastboot screen to show on phone
fastboot boot prestoroot.img

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure my drivers are okay.

Edited by KSava, 06 May 2012 - 01:14 PM.

• 0 Likes