47 votes

[ROM] Official CyanogenMod 9 Nightly Build Discussion

• Please log in to reply

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:32 PM #7791

I'm still here, haven't moved to CM10 yet... Mostly I just read the thread these days - not much to report back...

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk HD

What's keeping you from switching over?
  • 0 Likes

ktklein72

ktklein72

Android Apprentice

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:39 PM #7792

Truthfully just some free time. Need a few uninterrupted minutes to read up on the process and gather all the correct links. Any deficiencies in moving from 9 to 10 (ie things not working in 10 that are in 9)?

Sent from my Eclipsed DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2.4.13
  • 0 Likes

Froyo

Froyo

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:25 PM #7793

I was running a CM9 build from July 2012, it was running fine minus the camera not working but I had a lot of useless junk and apps I didn't use so I decided to uninstall CM9 and start fresh with the latest nightly. After uninstalled with ACMEUninstaller, I followed the instructions from this site: http://liliputing.co...od-9-alpha.html

I used all the files mentioned (ACMEInstaller3, moboot_0.3.5.zip, update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip, gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip). For CM9 I used cm-9-20130512-NIGHTLY-tenderloin.zip since it was the latest. It installed fine ACMEInstaller3 with the exception of gapps which didn't get installed for some reason. I booted into CWM to install the gapps zip manually (install from sdcard) and the installer finished successfully. However when I boot back into CM9, the gapps are not present. Anyone have ideas what the problem could be?
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:33 PM #7794

Truthfully just some free time. Need a few uninterrupted minutes to read up on the process and gather all the correct links. Any deficiencies in moving from 9 to 10 (ie things not working in 10 that are in 9)?

A through read of this OP should get you more than up to speed: http://rootzwiki.com...s-edited-52413/

I was running a CM9 build from July 2012, it was running fine minus the camera not working but I had a lot of useless junk and apps I didn't use so I decided to uninstall CM9 and start fresh with the latest nightly. After uninstalled with ACMEUninstaller, I followed the instructions from this site: http://liliputing.co...od-9-alpha.html

I used all the files mentioned (ACMEInstaller3, moboot_0.3.5.zip, update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip, gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip). For CM9 I used cm-9-20130512-NIGHTLY-tenderloin.zip since it was the latest. It installed fine ACMEInstaller3 with the exception of gapps which didn't get installed for some reason. I booted into CWM to install the gapps zip manually (install from sdcard) and the installer finished successfully. However when I boot back into CM9, the gapps are not present. Anyone have ideas what the problem could be?

That guide is kind of outdated. Follow the instruction at this link and I think you will do fine:

Nevertells Advice for Installing CyanogenMod the Old Fashioned Way
  • 3 Likes

ktklein72

ktklein72

Android Apprentice

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:58 AM #7795

So yesterday Google updated their native Calendar app. However Google Play shows it not installed. The stock Google ICS calendar that comes bundled with the ROM (or GApps pkg) seems to be separate. I installed the new calendar app from GPlay and so now I have both versions installed. Is it safe to use ES File Explorer to uninstall the native ICS version?

Sent from my HP TouchPad using TapaTalk 2.4.13 (since TapaTalk HD is sub par!)
  • 0 Likes

DroidTouchpad_22

DroidTouchpad_22

• 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:14 AM #7796

Hey no one has seen with the 20130429-UNOFFICIAL from jcsullins there is UMS (USB Mass Storage) enabled.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:46 AM #7797

So yesterday Google updated their native Calendar app. However Google Play shows it not installed. The stock Google ICS calendar that comes bundled with the ROM (or GApps pkg) seems to be separate. I installed the new calendar app from GPlay and so now I have both versions installed. Is it safe to use ES File Explorer to uninstall the native ICS version?

Sent from my HP TouchPad using TapaTalk 2.4.13 (since TapaTalk HD is sub par!)

One never knows for sure the side effects of doing something like that, but one easy way to fine out. Make a nandroid backup and then remove the unwanted apk. If bad things happen, just restore the backup.
  • 0 Likes

ktklein72

ktklein72

Android Apprentice

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:49 AM #7798

I thought about that then started thinking when I flash the next rom update and gapps pkg it would probably just come back. I think this needs to be a mod by the devs to remove it from the rom as a system app.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:46 PM #7799

I thought about that then started thinking when I flash the next rom update and gapps pkg it would probably just come back. I think this needs to be a mod by the devs to remove it from the rom as a system app.

You can always remove it from the gapps file. However, if you flash the update to the same Rom you are using, there is no reason to flash the gapps again. Also, if you test it out now, you will know how to remove it easily again. Just sayin' :P
  • 1 Likes

Froyo

Froyo

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:03 PM #7800

That guide is kind of outdated. Follow the instruction at this link and I think you will do fine:

Nevertells Advice for Installing CyanogenMod the Old Fashioned Way

Thanks for the help, however it turns out user error is to blame here. Turns out I was looking for the wrong app icons to detect gapps was installed, I was looking for Gmail and Google Maps icons, and I thought the Play Store was part of Android not part of gapps. Stupid me.
  • 0 Likes