Android OS Forum banner

Developer's Day

14K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  DHO 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What? Developer's Day!
When? First of every month
Why? Because we owe devs who make the Galaxy Nexus even better every day.
What to do? Give a donation

Think of the pure awesomeness we get from our favorite ROMS, kernels, themes, mods, apps, and other acts of brilliance. Most of the developers give away their work for free, and most get nothing to very little in return. One example.

I think most of us would be happy to pay $50 a year for all of the features they provide. So what I recommend is on the 1st of every month we give a few dollars to our favorite dev of the previous month. Maybe give $2-$5 a month via donations, or buy a donate/developer's apps. Seriously if you cannot afford $2 a month, then how do you have a Gnex?

In the past, I have given $40-50 to a single dev who's ROM I chiefly use. But, this is cheating the kernel, bootloader, app, theme, and other dev's, who I am proud to use their work. I suspect most people either do the same thing, or do not donate at all.

How did I come up with the idea. I'm just reading my emails while flashing, and the shitty place I work gives us a free small cup of coffee for Doctor's Day (March 30th). Tangentially, it reminded me I am long over due to give my favorite kernel provider a few bucks and it really does feel nice when someone says "Thank You" instead of complaining about everything!

So please support your developers!

See less See more
#3 ·
I was actually thinking of posting this.
But rather posting it as a YOU MUST DONATE $1 today thread.
Just to make it a small "insignificant" amount that could potentially make the devs a decent bit of cash that day.
Pick your dev...
And donate!
This, however, is a much better idea.
Sticky!?!

Imo is next on my list.
I've Donated to DroidXChat , Wizard0f0z, Roman, Zaphod-Beeblebrox, Jrummy, Kejar31, and I'm sure a couple others.
We appreciate the devs.
Show your support...and throw 'em a RedBull, eh?

#4 ·
Bump for justice. We can't keep enjoying all the awesome code thrown at our faces without the dev talent we're lucky to have here and now. Personally I think we're on the precipice of something great; where we can influence a change from huge companies streamlining the user experience to maximize their profit, to funding better, more competent coders who understand what users want cause they themselves are the users part of these types of user-centric communities. I'm not trying to demonize big companies, without which, we wouldn't have such amazing technologies; but let's get the word out that the tech and Android enthusiasts WILL PAY out of appreciation, so more enterprising coders come our way, and so the devs we have now stay around. Anyone who benefits from custom code here knows how much better things are given the proper after-market dev work, let's pave the way for a technological Renaissance as a byproduct (yes devs, what your doing now is primitive in the measure of time, but essential for the future of how we enjoy our devices/ F*** CarrierIQ, WE should be in control of our devices.). We've got to start somewhere, so let's show our current devs some appreciation. I hope this doesn't make me look absolutely bat sh!t crazy haha, but I feel quite strongly about open software and worry that future generations won't have such cool experiences/freedoms, so let's make it better for them, and us in the short term, shall we?

#13 ·
I donate twice a year to the devs I use most or contribute the most to AOSP type roms. Usually June and December. It's just easier for me to give one lump sum twice a year and they are usually more appreciative when they see $20 - $50 at a time. I do think more people should donate if they have the means to. So good idea here!

#21 ·
Nice :)
Good to see some dev love.

Recently have given to Droidtheory x2, Imoseyon, Koush x2, Franco.
Not sure who to spread the love to,.. yet :) AOKP team maybe up.

#25 ·
i have donated to my Favorite devs but one thing that went a long ways was only one dev thanked me. Some gratefulness does help and go a long way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.