Please read before posting.
Then search the forums and google it first.
Please do not skip this step. Many times someone will post a question
in the Forum that can be answered with a 2 minute Google search.
Where do I get the latest Build and GApps?
Google "AOKP FAQ" to get here.
Try the official download sites first. If they are overloaded, try the mirrors.
These will be updated as soon as a build gets released. Give it an hour or so.
The mirrors have to download the file and upload before it's available.
34. Do I need to reflash GApps?
Yes. Flashing a ROM formats /system where GApps are stored.
27. Which Google Apps (GApps) package should I flash on JB Build 2?
GApps JB 7/26
I don't have time to read 10 pages everyday. I just want the latest build.
If you join my AOKP New Build Notification Group,
I download each build, flash it, test it and if it works,
I upload it to 3 mirrors and email you a link. 265 members so far!
Where is the changelog?
There isn't one. But the Gerrit Log is the next best thing.
It's sort of hard to understand, but you might be able to figure it out.
Click on "merged" at the top left to see what goodies are coming.
Best option for now.
Should I wipe?
This is the most asked question.
It's Impossible to know the full ramifications of OS tweaks.
You might say chances are 80% in your favor for a Dirty Install
But don't try it unless your willing to take those odds.
And please don't post in the forums if you didn't wipe.
Try a Dirty Re-Flash of ROM or GApps before you do anything drastic.
The MD5 File hash is wrong.
Team AOKP Dev Steve Spear: I would argue there is no point checking the md5.
If the file sizes are the same, the download is fine. Even if the download was
corrupt, zips have built in error detection and would fail to flash. The myth that
your build isn't running smoothly due to bad download is nonsense.
How Do I choose a CPU/ IO Scheduler Setting?
Ondemand:Uses CPU busy time to answer "how critical is performance right now?".
It jumps to maximum frequency when CPU is busy and decreases the frequency
gradually when CPU is less loaded. Falls short on battery saving and performance on default settings.
Conservative: Scales up slowly to save battery. It increases and decreases CPU speed more gradually.
Interactive: Snappier, less battery.
Performance: Sets min frequency as max frequency. Use this while benchmarking!
1) Noop Advantages: Battery friendly Disadvantages: Lower performance.
2) Deadline. Advantages: Nearly real time. Disadvantages: unpredictable.
3) CFQ. Advantages: Balanced performance. Best performance after deadline. Disadvantages: Scanning takes longest to complete.
How do I add Widgets to the Navbar?
Settings/ RC/ NavBar. Choose a button action or Long Press action/ Toggle widgets.
Scroll to the bottom and choose your widgets.
To see them, go to nav and swipe left.
To close Widget bar, swipe down.
How does the Statusbar brightness control work?
With auto brightness turned off and the notification drawer up,
Longpress statusbar, THEN slide. Usually won't work with a quick swipe.
What is the theme engine?
It's a built in theme changer. Themes can change the colors, wallpaper and icons.
You'll find it in Settings/ Themes just under ROM control.
Can't I just flash a theme like I always have?
Yes. But a flashed theme has access to system settings and is more risky.
The theme engine uses APK's which only swap images so it's much safer.
How do I use the Theme engine?
There are only currently a few available. There will be many more as themers APKize their work.
HERE and HERE are a few that work well.
Or check the Theme Mod thread HERE.
23. Computer doesn't recognize my phone. Can't access my SD card
It could be one of 2 things: In B35, MTP is turned off by default again. It will be fixed in the next build.
Or Fast charge is enabled. It disables the USB connection.
Turn off Fast Charge and disconnect/ Reconnect your phone.
What's FAST CHARGE and do I need it ?
It turns off the usb connection to force a slightly faster charge
Not as fast as the wall charger. It's in Rom control/ Performance.
What is the statusbar Fast Charge notification?
It shows up at boot if you have it enabled in ROMControl. The setting in ROMControl just determines if FastCharge is on at boot.
Then you can 'Toggle' it in Notification tray. Keep in mind FastCharge does not change/toggle if you are connected to your computer.
You'll have to Unplug the phone, change your toggle, then plug back in and it'll go into the new mode.
This is also relevant to a reboot while plugged in. The Kernel sets up the connection on reboot
before it can see the 'Fast Charge' setting from ROMControl. Thus, if you reboot while plugged in,
even if FastCharge is on .. it actually won't be
37. When I go to Settings/ Accounts/ sync there's no option to add a Google account
33. I'm having trouble with Google+
Uninstall with titanium backup/root explorer from /system/app, reboot and re-download from Store
29. Dialer rotates/ won't rotate.
Check both dialer rotate settings:Phone/ settings/ dialpad settings/ Enable Sensor Orientation
and Phone/ Settings/ Enable Landscape.
You may have to check/ uncheck or reboot to get changes to stick
2. I searched google and read the FAQ. Now what?
You are are probably better off posting in the forum dedicated to your phone.
Be very detailed about what steps you took, exactly what you were running
before you flashed, if you wiped, exactly what you flashed, what settings you chose.
Any one of these steps, though they seem small, can give you problems.
3. Love the ROM, but could you add (Feature to the next build?
Search to see if anyone has asked for this. Then ask in your forum. If enough people ask, it just might happen.
4. How do I install a new build?
1. Make sure you're on the latest CWMR: Latest Clockworkmod Recovery
2. MAKE A NANDROID How to use Clockworkmod Recovery
3. Wipe data/factory reset in recovery -- a must if coming from a stock-based ROM
4. Flash ROM
5. Flash GApps
7. Login to google
8. Reboot again
5. Best way to restore apps with Titanium Back up?
- Open TiBu.
- Menu/ Preferences/ App processing mode/ AUTO Direct
- Create backup (Menu/ Batch/ backup/ Click the gray Run button: Backup all user apps) Do not backup or restore system data
- Choose Pause active apps/ Run the batch operation
- Back/ Menu/ More/ Create "update.zip."
- Under "Titanium backup will be install as: "choose “System application”
- Move update.zip to root of the sdcard
- Flash the ROM, GApps and BEFORE rebooting,mount /system
- Choose install zip, and select the zip you created
- Skip the initial device setup screen Tap top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left corners in that order
- Launch TiBu and do Menu/ Batch/ Restore all user apps plus data
- Settings/ Accounts and Sync/ Add your Google account
- More info: Titanium Backup Wiki
6. Weather isn’t showing up
Enable "Google's location service" in the Location Services control panel,
or set a custom location. Enable weather in rom control. Enter Zip Code, then "Get weather."
7. What’s the difference between Build [X] and Build [Y]? See the changelog at the top of the Release Page.
8. Can't hear the voice dialer prompts on bluetooth
Try this:Experimental Blue tooth Voice Dial Volume Fix
This raises the prompts volume to the same volume as voice calls.
Should work on any 4.0.3 phone/ROM.
If the VoiceDialer app was modified, you will lose these changes.
Full post: Blutooth Volume Fix Post
9. Error says apps "Not compatible with this device”
or “My apps” says something isn’t installed but it is?
Could be your Pixel Density: Settings/Rom control/general UI should be 320.
10. The call screen buttons are on the side of screen, instead of the bottom
Go to Settings/Display/Auto-rotate screen
11. Only half the screen shows on calls
Try disabling infinite scroll. Nova Menu/ Desktop/ Infinite Scroll
12. My Maps/ Store/ Gmail stopped working.
Fix permissions in CWMR.
Uninstall maps updates/clear cache and data.
13. I’m getting bugmailer reporting a crash or bug
This feature, if included in the ROM, is accessed by pressing both the volume keys and the power button at the same time.
It is difficult to know where this comes from because it doesn't show immediately.
Also, it will vibrate a few times quickly when it is compiled, but ONLY if the screen is on and UNLOCKED.
If you just happen to trigger it when turning the screen on briefly to check the time, the report will be triggered,
but won't appear until the next time you unlock the phone after it has compiled.
It is a developer feature so that devs can allow users to easily send bug reports on-demand.
The ROM developer can include an email address there to send it to or if they don't,
it just fills in your email address since it assumes you want it for yourself.
14. Some Google Apps are missing
Gmail, YouTube, Maps, Voice, Videos, Currents, Google+: Not going to be included since they're in the Store,
and distributing region-locked apps is prohibited. If your country/carrier dosen't allow them, use Market Enabler.
Wallet: Won't be included since it's a commercial product (legal issues)
Car Home: not stock. Google hasn't released an ICS version.
They've been messing around with it since 2.2.
You can copy the APK out of gapps-gb-20110828.
ThinkFree: Nobody seems to know. Nothing seems to be dependent on it so it was excluded.
TagGoogle: Tag.apk (part of AOSP) fulfills the same function, apparently.
It's not included so that non-NFC devices won't malfunction.
LatinIMEDictionarypack: The ROM should supply this, or an equivalent.
CalendarGoogle: Not needed thanks to the sync adapter in the GApps pack.
Keep in mind, this pack is multi-ROM, multi-device, multi-build compatible.
It's designed to work on any device and any ROM running ICS,
including AOKP, CM9, RootzBoat, etc. It's also supposed to be used globally,
so it won't include region-specific items (Google Voice/Music/Videos etc)
Roman Birg adds, “it's your phone, use whichever GApps package you want.
But please don’t submit bugs if you're using different ones or encouraging users to do the same.
When you use different GApps package than the tested ones, you're essentially changing the whole base of the ROM.
Other GApps packages add and remove apks randomly. It might work, but that's not the point.
I've changed what's in the base ROM so it complements the GApps package perfectly so you have everything you need.”
15. How do I enable power button as camera button?
Camera/ Settings (left side, to the right of zoom slider)
3 Settings buttons on left/ Power shutter.
To use: Start camera, long press power button
16. I’m having trouble configuring Google Voice as your voicemail service
On Verizon: Dial these activation codes:
*71 [Your Google Voice number]
*90 [Your Google Voice number]
*92 [Your Google Voice number]
More Here: Set up Google voicemail for your mobile number
17. When I flash the ROM I get a Status 7 error (assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "toro" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "toro" E:Error in /sdcard/ (Status 7) Installation aborted.
Make sure you are using the latest CWMR. Check MD5.
18. Owner information (Security Settings) not showing up on lock screen
Owner information won't show up if you have the battery percent on the lockscreen.
19. I’m getting 2 notifications for each text
Apps/ Messaging/ Menu/ Settings/ Notifications/ Uncheck: Display message notifications in status bar
20. I'm getting error "System has been denied super user access"
Start the Superuser app. You should see the "system" entry (with our pink unicorn) in the "Denied" section.
Tap on it, then tap on the reverse-mode icon (the icon to the left of the trash bin). This will put system in the
allowed list. Or Superuser auto-response is set to deny? Click on the wrench, Then Automatic Response.
Make sure you are not on "Deny".
21. I want to install a new Boot Animation
Use ES File Explorer, Copy to /data/local/. Then it won't be replaced when you flash a newer ROM or kernel
22. The "Recents" apps are side by side instead of along the right side
Enable horizontal recents window is checked: ROM Control / General UI / Horizontal recents window
24. I want Quick-torch
Rom Control/ Lockscreen Options/ Enable fast torch. With screen off, long-press power button to turn on, release to turn off
25. Long-press power button to turn on Quick-torch doesn’t work
With screen off, hold the power button down for several seconds.
If that doesn't work, try pressing the power button 3 times quickly, hold it down the 3rd time.
If you do not have a security lock, lockscreen toggles actvate the normal torch. Also try disabling then re-enabling.
28. I keep losing my 3g or 4g data. I have done several fresh installs
with data/system wipes to no avail.
Might be Juice Defender. Restore your settings.
30. How do I use Hide Nav Bar Option?
Settings/ Rom control/ Power Menu options/ Show Navigation Bar toggle
Then Long Press Power button/ hide Navigation Bar
31. Where do I get the stock Phase beam Live wallpaer?
32. When I Hide NavBar my game looks stretched/ Squished
Start game first. Then hide nav bar.
36. I toggled "swagger" and I can't figure out what it does
You now have swagger
38. I can't set a wallpaper on the Lock screen
ROM Control / Lockscreen. might have to hit menu, reset wallpaper
39. I get a black semi transparent box over the picture when adding a contact to home screen
its the inverted contacts/dialer
40. Battery indicator is stuck on 100% or some other number.
Remove battery indicator from the lockscreen, lock the screen, unlock it, and put battery indicator back.
If that doesn't work, attach charger and check system settings/battery to verify it is charging.
If it does, it's a lockscreen bug. If it doesn't, you might have a faulty device.
41. How do I make the STATUSBAR Transparent?
Rom Control/ Staus Bar/ General/ Transparency
43. I would like an image in my post. And not a massive one that fills the whole screen.
Go to http://imgur.com/
drag/ drop your image anywhere on home page and click "start upload".
Resize image. The image below is 371x660.
Save, Left click, not right click "BBCode (message boards & forums)"
to copy to clipboard and paste it in your post.
Edited by brainfire, 19 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.