• Please log in to reply

OP motcher41

motcher41

Android Lover

• 143 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:42 PM #1

Better way by RWNube:
Here is what should work:
Open Root Explorer, browse to /system, mount R/W, long press build.prop, and select Open in Text Editor.
Find the line:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EP4:user/release-keys
Change this line to whatever the new ROM's equivelent build.prop's line is. I suspect that just "EP4" needs to be changed to "FP1".
Save the changes to the build.prop file.
Restart twice or more. I had to restart 3 times to get data back.

Edited by motcher41, 26 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

• 6 Likes

lpjunior999

lpjunior999

• 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:16 PM #2

This is for stock, rooted roms? I haven't gotten an OTA notification on Tweakstock, but I wasn't sure how stock it had to be to get the notification.
  • 0 Likes

OP motcher41

motcher41

Android Lover

• 143 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:00 AM #3

Yes you would need root access. Quite a few tweakstock users have got the notification since it is a stock rom only modified some.
  • 0 Likes

stueycaster

stueycaster

Average Android

• 262 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:19 AM #4

I haven't got the notification. Do you think maybe it's because I'm on PB&JTime kernel with Ext4? Do you think I will get it? I plan on hanging onto what I have now. I like it too much to mess with it. The only change I've made is I now have the FP1 modem. I'm always looking for improved signal because of crappy signal where I work.
  • 0 Likes

neyenlives

neyenlives

Average Android

• 334 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:13 PM #5

f-ing thanks, i have been telling this to bug off a couple days now......it had auto downloaded it, so i got rid of the zip file in cache too
  • 1 Likes
SGSIII on CM10 as my DD

find me on irc.freenode.net #verizons3

ukrkoz

ukrkoz

Android Apprentice

• 68 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:36 PM #6

If you don't want the ota right now and sick of the popup do this to fix it....go to system/etc/security and rename the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak it shouldn't ask you to dl the update anymore until u rename it back without the .bak
If you have already downloaded the updated find it in the /cache directory and delete it as well.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

wisdom is great! now, dumm it it down for me. how do I get there? step by step, PLEASE? as I had re-stocked my phone, and the very moment I went back to tweakstock, I got OTA warning back.
  • 0 Likes

dwitherell

dwitherell

Consummate tinkerer

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:49 AM #7

Yes you would need root access. Quite a few tweakstock users have got the notification since it is a stock rom only modified some.

Seems its happening to Eclipse users as well... :P
  • 0 Likes
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!

Posted Image

ick

ick

Android Beginner

• 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:05 AM #8

Thanks for this. I like my TweakStock just fine and don't want Verizon involved with anything more than providing the airwaves.
  • 1 Likes

RWNube

RWNube

Android Beginner

• 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:09 PM #9

It seems like I was able to find an interesting OTA notification kill method:
I have a GC FE 2.0 setup I like to use sometimes, and the OTA was annoying the balls out of me. Note that the new update hasn't rolled out to me yet. But on GC FE 2.0, the methods you guys described above did not work. I could not not an update file in cache. Instead, I did the following steps as described below and I have no update notification anymore. All the other threads regarding the GC FE 2.0 OTA update notification just turned into a "install GB, FE sucks" fest. :/

Open Root Explorer, browse to /system, mount R/W, long press build.prop, and select Open in Text Editor.
Find the line:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EP4:user/release-keys
Change this line to whatever the new ROM's equivelent build.prop's line is. I suspect that just "EP4" needs to be changed to "FP1".

Disclaimer: Since I actually haven't tested this method with the new update, I don't know if it will work. Somebody will need to find what the line in build.prop for the new FP1 update is. You should be able to pull the build.prop from the new ROM or find somebody that has taken the update to get you the value of that line. Also, if puppies die because you did this, it's not my fault.

Edited by RWNube, 24 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.

• 5 Likes

dwitherell

dwitherell

Consummate tinkerer

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:11 PM #10

It seems like I was able to find an interesting OTA notification kill method:
I have a GC FE 2.0 setup I like to use sometimes, and the OTA was annoying the balls out of me. Note that the new update hasn't rolled out to me yet. But on GC FE 2.0, the methods you guys described above did not work. I could not not an update file in cache. Instead, I did the following steps as described below and I have no update notification anymore. All the other threads regarding the GC FE 2.0 OTA update notification just turned into a "install GB, FE sucks" fest.

Find the line:

Disclaimer: Since I actually haven't tested this method with the new update, I don't know if it will work. Somebody will need to find what the line in build.prop for the new FP1 update is. You should be able to pull the build.prop from the new ROM or find somebody that has taken the update to get you the value of that line. Also, if puppies die because you did this, it's not my fault.

Yup, you're right :-)
  • 0 Likes
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!

Posted Image