- - - - -

Screen Unresponsive In CM9

screen unrespo
  • Please log in to reply

OP Andysan

Andysan

• 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:14 PM #11

Bump - still no fix identified for this by anyone with this issue please?
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,601 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:36 PM #12

Bump - still no fix identified for this by anyone with this issue please?

You need to explain more about what you have installed, how you installed it. Did you upgrade from CM7 to CM9? If you did, how did you do it? What date nightly do you have installed? Have you ever tried uninstalling and reinstalling CM? Have you ever tried installing just CM9 and Gapps without downloading any other applications to rule out the possibility of this being caused by a rogue application? Are you using Trebuchet as your launcher or something from the Play Store?

You have to understand, you are the only person I see with this problem, so if it is not hardware, then it has to be something you are doing or some app that is causing the issue. Thousands of TouchPad owners are running CM and not having your problem. And because you seem to be the only person having this problem, don't expect much if any help from the developers.
  • 0 Likes

Hunterdiver

Hunterdiver

Android Lover

• 101 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:25 PM #13

I have a similar issue on both my touchpads, it started happening after I installed Modern War ... so my assumption is Modern War is causing this for me on the TP. Modern War works OK on my phone.
I'm not fussed about this as I am using the TP's for fun but it may help you identify where your problems lay
  • 0 Likes

Zzed

Zzed

Android Experiment

• 250 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:05 AM #14

In my view there is little value in looking for work-arounds on older versions, when the fix may have been made on the latest nightly.

I had these issues with the CM9 alpha's, even in alpha 2. Most of my issues were resolved using the later Nightly updates. You never stated that you tried the nightlies or what version. Many have their best baseline performance in the 20120707 nightly. My best fall back was the 20120717, but I'll stepping out on a limb... I'm all for using the 20120819.

My early testing on this version is very positive. Make a backup of your Cm9 alpha 2, then try it.If things don't go right, re-flash with Dalvek wipe, cache wipe, factory reset... then test.

In the worst case, you restore your backup to your previous state. In the best case, your issue is resolved.
  • 0 Likes
Zzed <<< enjoying the tasty Ice Cream Sandwich & Jelly Beans on the Phablet
Posted Image
Posted Image
AT&T SG Note II & HP TouchPad - webOS v3.05-86 & CM9 Official Nightly 20121007 (formerly CM9 a2, a1, a0.6, a0.5, a0, CM7 a3.5, a3, a2.1, a1a)

OP Andysan

Andysan

• 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:34 AM #15

You need to explain more about what you have installed, how you installed it. Did you upgrade from CM7 to CM9? If you did, how did you do it? What date nightly do you have installed? Have you ever tried uninstalling and reinstalling CM? Have you ever tried installing just CM9 and Gapps without downloading any other applications to rule out the possibility of this being caused by a rogue application? Are you using Trebuchet as your launcher or something from the Play Store?

You have to understand, you are the only person I see with this problem, so if it is not hardware, then it has to be something you are doing or some app that is causing the issue. Thousands of TouchPad owners are running CM and not having your problem. And because you seem to be the only person having this problem, don't expect much if any help from the developers.

Hi nevertells, Zzed,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand that I can't expect Dev's to devote time to an issue that only I am stuck with. With regard to other users experiencing this issue, both Touchpad_Noob, Moshe5368 (XDA Dev), Bharakrama (XDA Dev), trunzoc (XDA Dev) and even yourself I believe (post 3854 in the big CM9 thread here on RootzWiki) have all reported this issue on a number of occasions, so it isn't just me.

I have tried the following nightlies, this issue is present in all of them and has been from day one when I installed CM9 - it has not manifested over time, hence I do not believe it to be a rogue app:

Alpha 2
~ + a couple of others I have since erased the zips for

I agree I have omitted the relevant details as per your post, so for the record;

I did not upgrade from CM7 - first experience of Android on my HPTP was CM9 Alpha 2.
Currently running 0729 nightly.
I am launching from Play store.
Have yet to perform a full system wipe but will probably try that now and report back findings.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,601 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:04 AM #16

Hi nevertells, Zzed,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand that I can't expect Dev's to devote time to an issue that only I am stuck with. With regard to other users experiencing this issue, both Touchpad_Noob, Moshe5368 (XDA Dev), Bharakrama (XDA Dev), trunzoc (XDA Dev) and even yourself I believe (post 3854 in the big CM9 thread here on RootzWiki) have all reported this issue on a number of occasions, so it isn't just me.

I have tried the following nightlies, this issue is present in all of them and has been from day one when I installed CM9 - it has not manifested over time, hence I do not believe it to be a rogue app:

Alpha 2
~ + a couple of others I have since erased the zips for

I agree I have omitted the relevant details as per your post, so for the record;

I did not upgrade from CM7 - first experience of Android on my HPTP was CM9 Alpha 2.
Currently running 0729 nightly.
I am launching from Play store.
Have yet to perform a full system wipe but will probably try that now and report back findings.

OK. so YOU have seen a couple of others who appear to have this issue. That is still not a significant enough number to generate any interest from the developers. I personally have not seen any except you.

We are still not on the same page. Trebuchet is the stock launcher that comes with CM9. What I was asking was are you using a different launcher downloaded from the Play Store like Nova Launcher, Go Launcher or something else. BTW, have you verified that this does not happen in WebOS?

By full system wipe, I want you to run ACMEUninstaller and then reinstall the latest nightly and latest gapps. Do not set up your Google account using your previous information. Create a new Google account for testing purposes. Do not install any apps from the Play Store. Test this install to see if the problem still persists. If it does and you have verified that it does not happen in WebOS, then we are done. There is nothing else that you can do but live with it or get rid of the TouchPad.

Edited by nevertells, 21 August 2012 - 11:07 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Andysan

Andysan

• 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:16 AM #17

OK. so YOU have seen a couple of others who appear to have this issue. That is still not a significant enough number to generate any interest from the developers. I personally have not seen any except you.

We are still not on the same page. Trebuchet is the stock launcher that comes with CM9. What I was asking was are you using a different launcher downloaded from the Play Store like Nova Launcher, Go Launcher or something else. BTW, have you verified that this does not happen in WebOS?

By full system wipe, I want you to run ACMEUninstaller and then reinstall the latest nightly and latest gapps. Do not set up your Google account using your previous information. Create a new Google account for testing purposes. Do not install any apps from the Play Store. Test this install to see if the problem still persists. If it does and you have verified that it does not happen in WebOS, then we are done. There is nothing else that you can do but live with it or get rid of the TouchPad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have the same issue? Other people reporting the same issue right inside this thread.

I wonder if JC's touch pressure zip is to fix an issue I started getting since installing the 7/7 nightly? Intermittently the screen stops responding to taps. I have to press the power button to sleep the pad and wake it back up to get screen touch response working again. Any one else experienced this?

Apologies for the misunderstanding - yes, using Trebuchet - my CM9 is basically stock, no kernels or launchers other than the default - just CM9 with apps layered on top. I have verified that this does not happen in WebOS, it started happening only in Android at around the first day that I flashed CM9 ever (Alpha 2). It has persisted across all builds since.

I don't agree with you when you say that if it happens after a factory reset then its just something to "live with". I'm not asking a Dev to give up their time to fix it, I never have thus far. I am curious, based on the fact that you posted having the same issue yourself several months back if you happened to fix it (if you did I would then politely enquire as to how you fixed it so that you can do the same). If I am truly the only person with this issue then thats cool, I will continue to try and troubleshoot it and if I can resolve it will feedback to the community.

I was only trying to ask for help for an issue thats wrecking my TP experience - I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but there's no need to get shouty.

Edited by Andysan, 21 August 2012 - 11:16 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Andysan

Andysan

• 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:53 PM #18

To anyone still following on, followed nevertells advise and completely started again from scratch and it happened after about twenty mins of using the stock browser. I think i've tried not using that app before so am just going to assume that this is either a software bug or a hardware issue that only manifests itaelf within Android
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,601 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:46 AM #19

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have the same issue? Other people reporting the same issue right inside this thread.

Apologies for the misunderstanding - yes, using Trebuchet - my CM9 is basically stock, no kernels or launchers other than the default - just CM9 with apps layered on top. I have verified that this does not happen in WebOS, it started happening only in Android at around the first day that I flashed CM9 ever (Alpha 2). It has persisted across all builds since.

I don't agree with you when you say that if it happens after a factory reset then its just something to "live with". I'm not asking a Dev to give up their time to fix it, I never have thus far. I am curious, based on the fact that you posted having the same issue yourself several months back if you happened to fix it (if you did I would then politely enquire as to how you fixed it so that you can do the same). If I am truly the only person with this issue then thats cool, I will continue to try and troubleshoot it and if I can resolve it will feedback to the community.

I was only trying to ask for help for an issue thats wrecking my TP experience - I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but there's no need to get shouty.

Sorry if you took the uppercase emphasis as shouting. Suppose I'll use italics or underlining next time. To be truthful, I don't remember the incident you quoted. It must have been a one time thing that either cleared itself after the install settled in or after I reinstalled the rom again. I was using 7/7 nightly up until I started using the 8/4 one without any real problems. It was one of the more stable nightlies I've used. I'm now using 8/19 and so far so good.

Did you try setting up a new Google account like I suggested?

I've really run out of ideas. Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion.
  • 0 Likes

OP Andysan

Andysan

• 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:59 PM #20

Sorry if you took the uppercase emphasis as shouting. Suppose I'll use italics or underlining next time. To be truthful, I don't remember the incident you quoted. It must have been a one time thing that either cleared itself after the install settled in or after I reinstalled the rom again. I was using 7/7 nightly up until I started using the 8/4 one without any real problems. It was one of the more stable nightlies I've used. I'm now using 8/19 and so far so good.

Did you try setting up a new Google account like I suggested?

I've really run out of ideas. Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion.

Hey nevertells,

Sorry if I misinterpreted you there man. :)

Yeah, did all as you said, no joy. Only thing I can think is that its the stock ICS Browser as that was the only app I ran when I factory reset (I had to run something to give me something to poke provoke the issue you see). Hopeful that this will fix is but guess probably not.

Thanks for your help anyway.
  • 0 Likes