1 votes

[MOD] BLN for Droid Charge

• Please log in to reply

OP jt1134

jt1134

MILF

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:41 PM #1

Oh haidar

While working on CM9, I became weary of using a lights HAL module taken from a Samsung ROM and decided to write my own. Whilst doing so, I added BLN (backlight notification) functionality. @tonsit on IRC was kind enough to test it on a Samsung ROM and reported it worked there as well, so here it is for anyone who may find it useful.

http://www.mediafire...iwad3y03xxx9a3z

I'm lazy as hell, so the zip is untested, and its updater-script is as lazy as I. You'll need to mount /system in mounts&storage before flashing for the module to be installed. All it does is replace /system/lib/hw/lights.s5pc110.so. If the zip doesn't work, extract the file and replace it manually ;P

It is only configurable by using AOSP's 'pulse notification light' setting, so once installed, you can only disable it by reinstalling your old lights.s5pc110.so from Samsung. BLN Control and similar apps will have no effect. Perhaps TW ROM devs can add a setting to Samsung's Settings.apk to configure it. Ask them. I'll include it in a later update to CM9.

I've verified that the device still goes into deep sleep while the lights are lit, so battery drain should be minimally affected. The lights are NOT very bright, and brightness CANNOT be increased, so pl0x don't ask, kthx.

Source code here: https://github.com/j...blight/lights.c

Enjoy.

Edited by jt1134, 09 March 2012 - 11:42 PM.

• 1 Likes

lane32x

lane32x

Average Android

• 117 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:16 AM #2

jt, you're the man!
Most b/c this is the most humrously, bruttaly honest post I have ever read from a developer.
I actually laughed audibly when I was reading about your "laziness."

Paraphrased: "blah blah blah, here's a relased, blah blah blah, it might work blah blah good luck"

Thanks for another cool mod.

Oh haidar

While working on CM9, I became weary of using a lights HAL module taken from a Samsung ROM and decided to write my own. Whilst doing so, I added BLN (backlight notification) functionality. @tonsit on IRC was kind enough to test it on a Samsung ROM and reported it worked there as well, so here it is for anyone who may find it useful.

http://www.mediafire...iwad3y03xxx9a3z

I'm lazy as hell, so the zip is untested, and its updater-script is as lazy as I. You'll need to mount /system in mounts&storage before flashing for the module to be installed. All it does is replace /system/lib/hw/lights.s5pc110.so. If the zip doesn't work, extract the file and replace it manually ;P

It is only configurable by using AOSP's 'pulse notification light' setting, so once installed, you can only disable it by reinstalling your old lights.s5pc110.so from Samsung. BLN Control and similar apps will have no effect. Perhaps TW ROM devs can add a setting to Samsung's Settings.apk to configure it. Ask them. I'll include it in a later update to CM9.

I've verified that the device still goes into deep sleep while the lights are lit, so battery drain should be minimally affected. The lights are NOT very bright, and brightness CANNOT be increased, so pl0x don't ask, kthx.

Source code here: https://github.com/j...blight/lights.c

Enjoy.

• 0 Likes

streetlightman

streetlightman

Android Beginner

• 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:10 AM #3

just tried it, works great. thanks for your hard work JT.

For the next person:
I unzipped the file
renamed my current file to have a .bak extension
then copied the new file over
rebooted and it worked fine!
  • 0 Likes

JihadSquad

JihadSquad

Super User

• 296 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:04 PM #4

What exactly does this do? I flashed it in cwm and when I text myself nothing happens
  • 0 Likes
I will DIE for our cause!

streetlightman

streetlightman

Android Beginner

• 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:32 PM #5

What exactly does this do? I flashed it in cwm and when I text myself nothing happens

Basically when you receive a notification, the menu, home, back, and search button light up telling you that you have a notification. try not flashing it in CWM and unzipping the .zip on your computer and doing it manually. after you do it, reboot
  • 0 Likes

JihadSquad

JihadSquad

Super User

• 296 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:46 PM #6

Basically when you receive a notification, the menu, home, back, and search button light up telling you that you have a notification. try not flashing it in CWM and unzipping the .zip on your computer and doing it manually. after you do it, reboot

Well i .bak'd the old file and i checked in es, it is there now. I am in a well lit area so can't see the buttons.
  • 0 Likes

scarygood536

scarygood536

Android Beginner

• 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:50 PM #7

This work like a charm for me and i flashed the zip. It just sucks the charge's backlight sucks. I've been looking into getting the camera light to flash like the iphones when i get a notification. I'm going to have to learn code though :\
  • 0 Likes

JihadSquad

JihadSquad

Super User

• 296 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:16 PM #8

This work like a charm for me and i flashed the zip. It just sucks the charge's backlight sucks. I've been looking into getting the camera light to flash like the iphones when i get a notification. I'm going to have to learn code though :\

You really want that LED to flash when you get a notification? You could see that through pants
  • 0 Likes

scarygood536

scarygood536

Android Beginner

• 31 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:58 PM #9

You really want that LED to flash when you get a notification? You could see that through pants

for me i keep my phone on me with the verizon case\clip. i would be able to see if it flashed because it is so bright and i work in dark areas. I wouldn't want it to be too persistent. Maybe like an initial flash followed by reminder flashes every 15-30min
  • 0 Likes

adm746

adm746

• 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:41 PM #10

Works great. Intalled in cwm once with system mounted and once with unmounted cuz I was too lazy to look up the instructions :P

Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes