OP Shayes

Shayes

Average Android

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:50 PM #1

Posted Image

http://shayessays.co...g-galaxy-nexus/

please leave a comment!

BIG EDIT:
the way i saw it was that regardless of the rom, the phone will drain a lot or a little depending on how much or how little you use your phone. but thats not a test on the ROM itself, which is exactly what i was curious about, but in fact a test on how often you use your phone. So, although at one point i tried testing the battery usage as a function of how long i did certain everyday tasks (e.g. Facebook, texting, Angry birds, etc..), i noticed that this did not do an accurate job of testing the battery use by the OS. And honestly, whatever little differences i saw in data between different roms for these types of tests could be considered a margin of error for the test itself. So theres no value in that data. Over time, i realized that the only way to accurately test a ROMs battery usage was allowing the OS (and only the OS) to be running, but making sure that no other battery drains were active, like the display being on, the radios changing towers, etc etc. So thats why i tested the way i did. It was just a test for those people who already have their own ways of increasing phone life (extended batteries, juice defender, undervolting, etc) but had no way of choosing the most battery efficient OS, because there was no way of finding out which ROM is quantitatively the most efficient.

As for kernels, i agree it would have been a better test to include kernels, but in retrospect, that would have taken way longer because the only true way to test for it would be to test each kernel with one rom, then test the best kernel with every rom. but then honestly, who knows if that would even be a fair test because who knows if a dev makes a rom specifically (or only) for a certain kernel. so that wouldnt be fair to the ROM itself. If you wanna test for kernels too, then go for it, but i aimed to only test for the ROMs that are presented to us by the devs. i didnt wanna do any more modding to the phone because i dont think most of us really care to go as far as to flash different kernels in addition to the roms. some people just wanna flash a rom and be done. and this test was done for those types of people.

As for stock rom, i really wanted to know how much better custom roms were on battery life, in general, compared to stock. But by the time i realized how to conduct this test the way i wanted to, i had already unlocked, rooted and flashed a rom. So, at the time, i either didnt know or didnt want to do the work to go back to stock, and i figured it wouldnt matter anyway, because nobody who cared about custom roms would have a stock phone anyway lol.

But if someone out there still has a factory set galaxy nexus LTE/CDMA, with no mods whatsoever, i would encourage them to carry out this test to as strict a setting as possible and report back the results with screenshots. Thanks.

Edited by Shayes, 09 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

• 4 Likes

doublea500

doublea500

Android Lover

• 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM #2

i suggest you try stock 4.0.4. google fixed the android os problem for the most part. now it takes up around 3%
  • 0 Likes

hotshotz

hotshotz

• 37 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 PM #3

I can believe that. When I was using liquid smooth as my daily driver I had awesome battery life.

Now I switched to axioms crossbreed and battery life is still good but can't top liquid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

mentose457

mentose457

Typical Interwebz Troll

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:59 PM #4

If you are testing the battery drain from the rom wouldn't they need to be using the same kernel?
  • 1 Likes

mightybrick

mightybrick

Super User

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:00 PM #5

You should give BAMF a try. I'd like to see how it compares.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

OP Shayes

Shayes

Average Android

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:02 PM #6

If you are testing the battery drain from the rom wouldn't they need to be using the same kernel?

this is what im not too sure about, so if someone knows about this, as i note in my article, please comment!
  • 0 Likes

GRZLA

GRZLA

Android Beginner

• 310 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:39 PM #7

this is what im not too sure about, so if someone knows about this, as i note in my article, please comment!

Your data is no good due to the fact that you didn't use the same kernel on each ROM. On top of that, Android OS is a reporting issue. It reports an incorrect number and has been a bug since Froyo or even earlier.

The problem with your test though is that with each rom you may be using your phone more or less, which can skew your results. Is this a test to see how much "battery drain" is coming from Android OS in battery or just battery drain in general?

What did you do with each ROM to determine their battery life? Was there a set of tasks you performed on each one or is this just with you using it whenever?

Edited by GRZLA, 08 March 2012 - 01:44 PM.

• 1 Likes

exarkun

exarkun

Android Lover

• 221 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 PM #8

Your data is no good due to the fact that you didn't use the same kernel on each ROM. On top of that, Android OS is a reporting issue. It reports an incorrect number and has been a bug since Froyo or even earlier.

The problem with your test though is that with each rom you may be using your phone more or less, which can skew your results. Is this a test to see how much "battery drain" is coming from Android OS in battery or just battery drain in general?

What did you do with each ROM to determine their battery life? Was there a set of tasks you performed on each one or is this just with you using it whenever?

Maybe you should read the link with all the details...

Regarding kernel, I would assume that Shayes used the stock kernel or the one that came with the rom.
  • 0 Likes

akellar

akellar

Android Addict

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:26 PM #9

Maybe you should read the link with all the details...

Regarding kernel, I would assume that Shayes used the stock kernel or the one that came with the rom.

You assume wrong according to his response above.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

OP Shayes

Shayes

Average Android

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:42 PM #10

You assume wrong according to his response above.

no he assumes correctly. I made no changes to the kernel between rom changes, so the kernel for each one was just the kernel that the dev used in each of their roms.

consider this a test for those of us who wont be constantly switching kernels. then the battery comparison should just be between the roms as compiled by the devs.
  • 0 Likes