- - - - -

Touchpad dead battery reference.

• Please log in to reply

chicoatc

chicoatc

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:19 AM #51

Had this issue today did a live chat with palm. Plug the device into the wall charger and press the power button + center button for 15 seconds should get a low battery image and it will charge :D

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I was toast. I did so many combinations of buttons, chargers, and nothing except this worked! Thank you for saving my TP!
  • 0 Likes

chicoatc

chicoatc

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:23 AM #52

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I was toast. I did so many combinations of buttons, chargers, and nothing except this worked! Thank you for saving my TP!

As a side note, this was after charging my TP for at least 8 hours on 3 different chargers. I use this trick to get the TP to turn on, and viola, I have 100% battery! So the POS charged while plugged in, but just refused to turn on. I guess I will have to remember to charge it and don't let it below 25% again.
  • 0 Likes

jps12872

jps12872

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:02 PM #53

My HP Touch-pad went dead after a charging glitch It went completely dead and not responsive with any chargers

##### My Setup #####
HP Tochpad with Android 4.0.3 - Ice Cream Sandwich ClassicNerd Butta v4.0.2

##### Fixes that didn't work for me #####
Tried charging with touchstone charger 12hr charge (Nothing still dead black screen no lights at all.)
Chargering with Stock USB Cable with Stock Power Adaptor 12-16hrs (Nothing still dead black screen no lights at all.)
Trired Both Charging Methods and device was still unresponsive

## Tried the charging methods above in conjuction with ##
## Holdings many diffrent buttons combinations below ##

Power + Home button (Holding 20sec - 1min)
Power + Home + volume up and down (Holding 20sec - 1min)
Power + Volume (Holding 20sec - 1min)
Power only (Holding 20sec - 1min)
Home button only (Holding 20sec - 1min)

All combinations you can think of and nothing worked.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

##### The steps I recall I did right before the device showed life #####

1. Plugged in Stock USB Cable into USB Port on computer
2. Plugged mini USB into HP Touchpad (still nothing)
3. Tried holding HOME button pressed and tapped Power button 30-40 times in rapid persesion
4. Stop and waited (Noting Happend)
5. Unplugged USB from computer and then plugged into the Stock Power adapter thats was already
Plugged into a Power Strip.
6. Saw Home Button start blinking as soon as I plugged it in to the power adaptor.
7. Waited for about 2-3min and then screen cam on with low batter symbol.
8. I let the Touchpad charge for about an hour and checked it and it was booted into android.

The total down time for my touch pad was about 1 day 1/2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a video of what my touchpad looked like during this process unfortunately didn't record me doing these actions
or catching the home button blinking. I didn't grab the cam in time.

My Youtube post
http://youtu.be/q3k_QD1eglQ

My XDA Forum post
http://forum.xda-dev...41#post27550441

Edited by jps12872, 18 June 2012 - 12:40 AM.

• 1 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,656 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:14 AM #54

Try this before you take your tp apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got this solution off another forum and tried it. Worked liked a charm. I was about to throw my tp out the window.

I hope this works for you. I just used an htc usb with the htc wall charger. Juiced the tp just enough.

My HP Touch-pad went dead after a charging glitch It went completely dead and not responsive with any chargers

##### My Setup #####
HP Tochpad with Android 4.0.3 - Ice Cream Sandwich ClassicNerd Butta v4.0.2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a video of what my touchpad looked like during this process unfortunately didn't record me doing these actions
or catching the home button blinking. I didn't grab the cam in time.

My Youtube post
http://youtu.be/q3k_QD1eglQ

My XDA Forum post
http://forum.xda-dev...41#post27550441

Lessons learned here, don't let your TouchPad charge fell below 20% before charging it back up. Install JC Sullins charger fix here:

http://goo.im/devs/j...0607-signed.zip

If you don't install the charger fix, never, ever boot your TouchPad into CM while the wall charger is plugged in, it won't charge.

BTW, after market and cell phone chargers at best put out 500mA of power same as plugging into the PC. There has to be a special circuit in the charger or the charging cable for it to charge at the full rate on a TouchPad.

Edited by nevertells, 18 June 2012 - 08:18 AM.

• 0 Likes

isaacbro

isaacbro

Average Android

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:50 PM #55

I sent in two HP Touchpads after using chat support saying neither one charged. We tested with wall charge, usb charger, did the adapter reset thing and still nothing. They both had Android 7 installed. Both came back in under a week, fully charged and reset to WebOs. SWEEEEET. When these die after the warranty I'm getting a Samsung.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,656 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:42 AM #56

I sent in two HP Touchpads after using chat support saying neither one charged. We tested with wall charge, usb charger, did the adapter reset thing and still nothing. They both had Android 7 installed. Both came back in under a week, fully charged and reset to WebOs. SWEEEEET. When these die after the warranty I'm getting a Samsung.

Why did they get into that condition?
  • 0 Likes

nathlas

nathlas

• 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:09 PM #57

DO NOT turn your TouchPad off and then plug it in to charge! Here is what will most likely happen, plugging it will start it back up and unless you have Moboot set to boot to WebOS, your TP will boot into CM9 and will not charge. I have tested this many times on mine and several friends TP's and it happens every time. If you need to charge your TP while in Android, leave it on, plug it in and tap the power button to put it to sleep. You might want to turn off wifi to allow your TP to charge faster.

I can't speak to any other rom or kernel other than CM9. If you are running AOKP or Bricked, CN or CherryKang, you might want to test this and report back what you find.

Hopefully the CM team will resolve this, but until then, if you want to avoid at least one cause of charging issues, heed this warning.

Hi guys.

Before sleeping I left the TP on the touchstone to charge and the clock appeared so I knew that touchstone was charging as it should .

Then I turned off the power button and when I woke up the TP was completely dead.
I tried every hard reset combination .....not working. I tried every charging method* for some minutes...not working.
I know that my original charger is working because my HP Pre3 is charging perfectly on connect and I suppose that touchstone is working as TP is getting warm on the back .

My TP is running the cm-9-20120623-NIGHTLY-tenderloin version.

I presume that is a drained problem as resets are not working. Not even the plug mark is appeared...(could it be something else apart energy drain ? )

What should I do ? I am completely lost now....

* car charger, original charger with cable, original charger with touchstone, pre3's charger even if it's not the right voltage.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,656 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:48 PM #58

One last thing to try. Plug the TP into the stock charger. If you get the blinking led in the home button or not, hold the power button and tap the home button 15 to 30 times in a row. Pray for an HP logo. If this does not work, leave the TP plugged in for at least 30 minutes, keeping an eye on it the whole time just in case it starts to boot up. If it does, stop the countdown in moboot by pressing the volume key. Select WebOS and press the home key to boot it. Let it charge until 100%. If the TP does not boot during the 30 minutes charging, press the power button and tap the home key again like before. Lastly, contact HP and tell them it won't charge. Don't tell them you installed Android. Play along with their trouble shooting suggestions then send it back for repair.
  • 0 Likes

mikestefoy

mikestefoy

Android Beginner

• 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:44 AM #59

I have just had the problem of a dead touchpad.

I have been posting on the unofficial board, but thats now been closed, as eyeballer has moved to the official board.
nothing I did would bring the bloody thing back to life.
In the end I took it apart, measured 2.85volts on the battery, which is way too low.
As an experienced electronics engineer, I felt able to play around.
I took out the battery, gave it about 3 or 4 hours @1Amp charge, the voltage then went upt to 3.56 volts, so above the 3.2v low level
I always seemed to get a strange effect of sometimes the DVM across the battery would read a sensible value, at other times it was zero.
is there some circuitry inside the battery ?
Anyway, I drilled a very small hole in the case (2mm diameter), and attached a wire to the battery +ve, and made a connector so when I clicked the case back together, I could measure the voltage, and externally charge the battery, to kick start it again if needed.
I am using the -ve supply on the usb micro socket ( that way I only need a single small hole to connect).
so, I measured the voltage with the thing re-assembled, and its zero volts ( bugger !, maybe i have done something wrong).
As a last resort, I connected externally -ve wire to the usb plug screen metal part, connected +3.5volts from a power supply to the hole I made, and pressed the ON button.
Voila !!, the touchpad came to life boots and shows the battery at 61% full.
I cant believe that the charging circuitry measures the battery voltage, and if its gets too low, refuses to charge, that would be just plain dumb !!!!!
, but maybe my applying that external 3.5 volts, enable the charging circuitry to wake up !!!!
I have taken photos of my mods, and will post them in a few days.

I am coming to the conclusion that hp really screwed up with the battery charging/detection circuitry, and thats why we are seeing so many problems.

Maybe thats why hp killed the thing !!!

Edited by mikestefoy, 29 June 2012 - 03:59 AM.

• 1 Likes

nathlas

nathlas

• 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:21 AM #60

One last thing to try. Plug the TP into the stock charger. If you get the blinking led in the home button or not, hold the power button and tap the home button 15 to 30 times in a row. Pray for an HP logo. If this does not work, leave the TP plugged in for at least 30 minutes, keeping an eye on it the whole time just in case it starts to boot up. If it does, stop the countdown in moboot by pressing the volume key. Select WebOS and press the home key to boot it. Let it charge until 100%. If the TP does not boot during the 30 minutes charging, press the power button and tap the home key again like before. Lastly, contact HP and tell them it won't charge. Don't tell them you installed Android. Play along with their trouble shooting suggestions then send it back for repair.

Well you're my man nevertells !! Thank you so much for your advice.

I did what you propose me but with a small difference.

This is the way that revived my so dead TP :

I charged for at least 15 hours the TP with a handsfree mini USB charger at 5v, 0.7mA (instead for the original TP charger of 2mA).

Then I holded the power button and pushed rapidly 15-20 times the home button.
I did the opposite holding the home button and pushed rapidly 15-20 times the power button.

I really do not know which one of these two combinations make the TP wake up.
After two-three minutes after my attempts the plug icon appeared on the screen and I rapidly connected with the original TP charger via cable. Home button was glowing for first time after days.
After half an hour moboot menu appeared and I choosed fast to boot on the webos. That's it !!
It now is charging on webos nice and easy. To be sure that I am not going to live this situation again I choosed to boot on Webos by default instead of ICS through Cyboot.
Till these wonderfull guys stabilize the ICS for the TP use cyboot to avoid such problems.

Thanks again nevertells. ;)

Edited by nathlas, 29 June 2012 - 11:29 AM.

• 0 Likes