1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

10 votes

[VZW/SPRINT/GSM][Guide] Ultimate Galaxy Nexus Guide (Unlock/Root/Flash Roms/FAQ)

• Please log in to reply

miljbee

miljbee

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:59 AM #41

I have just discovered a trick I thought some might find usefull.
It's for an EU Galaxy Nexus (I Think you call it CDMA). It might work on other models but I haven't any idea.
The phone is 4.04 Stock (no root, no custom rom)

I discovered that charging the GN with various chargers and the stock micro usb cable results nearly always in USB Charging (slow).
Recently, I received a desktop craddle with a power only micro usb cable (only 2 wires). I found that when using this cable, the phone reports AC Charging. So I think it may be able to get more than 500mA.
I don't know how to check the power drawn from the charger, but I imagine that if it reports AC, it is able to do fast charge.

So, if you have an old charger that is able to provide more that 0.5A, plug it to your phone with a power only micro usb cable if you can find one ...

Edited by miljbee, 18 May 2012 - 09:01 AM.

• 1 Likes

blaineevans

blaineevans

su

• 2,292 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:55 AM #42

Just wanted to mention Juba, thanks for the all in one link.

Wanted to do a couple things on my ladies laptop and was trying to shave some time, and damn that was a lot faster than the "manual" way I've been using.. hahaha.

Edited by blaineevans, 28 May 2012 - 07:55 AM.

• 0 Likes

jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:18 PM #43

Neat Ideas / How to Show Off the Galaxy Nexus
-Get some NFC stickers. Tagstand has them available.
You can use these to make your phone perform certain tasks when you touch the sticker. Use NFC Task Launcher to define the tasks. These are capable of doing simple things like muting your volume to the more complex like turning on Tasker tasks that do things like auto-reply to text messages while you're at work.

-Do you have any suggestions? Submit them below!

I have a friend with a nexus, we always beam stuff to eachother just for the hell of it when we're around the iSheeps... it pisses them off!
  • 1 Likes

Magius13

Magius13

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:49 AM #44

First off, thanks for the guide! And... I'm stuck on a step right now.

2nd, I completely trashed the 20-40 minutes it takes to set this up. Pretty sure I'm border-line retarded or something, lol. (currently sitting on like 2 hrs)

Just wanted to point some things out that happened to me so far before I delve into my current problem.
I had several issues installing the ADB drivers, Cyanogenmod's guide to installing lacks some details and it took me a long time to hunt them down via google and whatnot. You must have the right Java (I didn't have anything, haha) and while trying to run SDK Manager, if it can't find the required Java, you must alter the findjava.bat to get it to work.

Ok, so I made it to plugging in my galaxy nexus (in debug mode). Stuck on "waiting for device" on the command prompt screen because I don't have the drivers installed. Well... I downloaded the Samsung drivers and I have no clue which one it is (most current date? they all have the same date on my screen) There are like 20 different folders starting with 01_simmental to 25_escape. And under each of those folders = 2 more folders. One is amd64 and the other is i386...

Which one do I pick? Thx for any help!

UPDATE: I've been trying some of the folders in the Samsung drivers I mentioned above with installing my drivers and Windows just gives me "can not find driver software for your device". Also, when under device manager, my phone shows up under the "Other devices" as an "Unknown device"

Edited by Magius13, 06 June 2012 - 10:53 AM.

• 0 Likes

blaineevans

blaineevans

su

• 2,292 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:16 AM #45

First off, thanks for the guide! And... I'm stuck on a step right now.

2nd, I completely trashed the 20-40 minutes it takes to set this up. Pretty sure I'm border-line retarded or something, lol. (currently sitting on like 2 hrs)

Just wanted to point some things out that happened to me so far before I delve into my current problem.
I had several issues installing the ADB drivers, Cyanogenmod's guide to installing lacks some details and it took me a long time to hunt them down via google and whatnot. You must have the right Java (I didn't have anything, haha) and while trying to run SDK Manager, if it can't find the required Java, you must alter the findjava.bat to get it to work.

Ok, so I made it to plugging in my galaxy nexus (in debug mode). Stuck on "waiting for device" on the command prompt screen because I don't have the drivers installed. Well... I downloaded the Samsung drivers and I have no clue which one it is (most current date? they all have the same date on my screen) There are like 20 different folders starting with 01_simmental to 25_escape. And under each of those folders = 2 more folders. One is amd64 and the other is i386...

Which one do I pick? Thx for any help!

UPDATE: I've been trying some of the folders in the Samsung drivers I mentioned above with installing my drivers and Windows just gives me "can not find driver software for your device". Also, when under device manager, my phone shows up under the "Other devices" as an "Unknown device"

Um, well. You should be able to right click the device in device manager, click update driver, select find, navigate to the folder containing the drivers, and click install. It should find the correct one for you.. unless I'm completely misunderstanding.

The 64 and 86 is referring to 64 bit or 32 bit, which would depend on your PC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

Magius13

Magius13

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:25 AM #46

I am navigating to the Samsung folder that I downloaded, the problem is that it doesn't work. Windows says that it can not find the drivers... doesn't matter which folder I pick. =/

UPDATE: Finally got the driver to work. I just did the entire process over again from a fresh clean beginning... worked. I think, lol. How do I tell if my phone is properly rooted or not?

Edited by Magius13, 06 June 2012 - 02:44 PM.

• 0 Likes

blaineevans

blaineevans

su

• 2,292 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:30 PM #47

I am navigating to the Samsung folder that I downloaded, the problem is that it doesn't work. Windows says that it can not find the drivers... doesn't matter which folder I pick. =/

UPDATE: Finally got the driver to work. I just did the entire process over again from a fresh clean beginning... worked. I think, lol. How do I tell if my phone is properly rooted or not?

Install an app that requires root and see if your prompted for permission.

Glad you got it going though, good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

OP Jubakuba

Jubakuba

Not Female

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:57 AM #48

Returning to Stock Without USB Access
(This guide assume you are rooted and need to return to stock.)

Notes:
-You'll need to be on a ROM of the same android version as the ODIN files for Mobile Odin to flash.
If that is not the case, simply flash a 4._._ ROM that is the same version and continue.

-CDMA users: Mobile Odin won't flash CDMA radios. Verizon users using an unofficial radio can flash the most recent official radios from here.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An Automated Bootloader Unlock/Relock Application can be found HERE.
Re-lock your bootloader with that application and continue below to the ODIN portion of this guide.

If you prefer to do this process manually:

Install Terminal Emulator.
Download THIS file and use a file explorer to put it on the root of your SD card (not in a folder).

Open up Terminal Emulator and run these commands:
su
(Hit Enter)
Allow Root Access.
dd if=/sdcard/param.lock of=dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/param
(Hit Enter)
This should lock your bootloader.

SPRINT Odin Files
VERIZON and GSM Odin Files

Download the appropriate ODIN.tar files on your phone (PDA files only for CDMA users).
DO NOT use odin files designed for another device.
Download and install Mobile Odin.
Use Mobile Odin to open the .tar file you just downloaded and return to stock.

Congratulations!
You should be back to stock and with a locked bootloader!
*NOTE*
I have not personally tested this method. I've dotted my i's and crossed my t's as far as I know.
However, if this didn't work for you: Feel free to PM me as I have another more-complex method that I have up my sleeve.

A few users have reported this working!

If you're currently freaking out thinking you're even MORE stuck with a locked bootloader and your rooted system:
Download THIS file and put it on the root of your SD card.
Run these commands into Terminal Emulator:
su
(Hit Enter)
Allow Root Access.

dd if=/sdcard/param.unlock of=dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/param
(Hit Enter)
This will unlock your bootloader again.

A HUGE thanks to Efrant for providing the param.zip and making me aware of the existence of this possibility.

Edited by Jubakuba, 31 January 2013 - 06:26 AM.

• 6 Likes

Ultimate Galaxy Nexus Root Guide

I605/Toro/Grouper/Manta: AOKP/LeanKernel

The First Of Every Month is Developer Day: Pick A Dev And Donate

"Juba is kind of a dock."

OP Jubakuba

Jubakuba

Not Female

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:04 AM #49

Changes:
Reworked all OP posts for slightly more clarity and ease of access during "OMG" moments.
Added information on returning to stock AND re-locking bootloader without USB access.
  • 1 Likes

Ultimate Galaxy Nexus Root Guide

I605/Toro/Grouper/Manta: AOKP/LeanKernel

The First Of Every Month is Developer Day: Pick A Dev And Donate

"Juba is kind of a dock."

happygreen83

happygreen83

Average Android

• 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:35 AM #50

Just got new replacement Gnex, tried to root last night and my pc couldn't find drivers, it recognized Galaxy Nexus, but would then ask for the disk that came with my phone to install drivers. There is no disc. My other Gnex worked perfectly when I tried it. Anyone have any ideas to help me?
  • 0 Likes