1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Unlimited data to new plans/early upgrade and phones?

• Please log in to reply

OP SUPERSPORT25

SUPERSPORT25

Android Apprentice

• 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:47 PM #1

Ok so im due for an upgrade May 3 but looks like I can get a new phone now which for me looks like the Droid Razr Maxx simply because of battery life and display. I also noticed that the unlimited data plan for me will finally be no longer and any upgrades on my plan in the future will be charged per GB. With that said how the hell can you figure out how much data you will need without going over? I have Sirius XM and sometimes use Pandora so wont that send me into GB hell? I guess I am considered a heavy user as far as GB because of texting, email, and apps. Any feedback on this?

Also want to know who has recently upgraded and to what phone? What do you like about it? I have a droid X now and have rooted the hell out of it so looking forward to moving on.
  • 0 Likes

TwinShadow

TwinShadow

The Shadow within Android

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:27 PM #2

If you have unlimited data now, there should be no reason you'd lose it from an upgrade because you're grandfathered in for it. If they end up changing their minds, that's a breach of contract that you signed with them when you first got the phone. So, if you upgrade, you should be keeping the unlimited data without issue. Don't take my word for it, as I'm not due for another 10 months, but I'm pretty sure that's how it should be.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

wastedmatter

wastedmatter

• 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:35 PM #3

^Yep. Anyone who currently has unlimited should have it for life. Until they don't. Three members of my family have renewed their plan in the past 2 months and each one had the option of saying make no changes to my current plan.
  • 0 Likes

skruid

skruid

Android Lover

• 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:50 PM #4

I kept my unlimited data when I went from droid 2 global to Samsung nexus, that was in early February, so I don't think they have changes there minds yet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

TwinShadow

TwinShadow

The Shadow within Android

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:47 PM #5

If you were to sign a new contract, then yeah, you will lose unlimited data. If you renew a current one, you'll be able to keep it. Doesn't matter which phone you use since all it boils down to is the data plan.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

sgthwjack

sgthwjack

• 33 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:33 AM #6

Just activated my GNex yesterday and still retained the unlimited data. Be careful not to change the default features during the process and no problem. More data options will be offered, just don't check any of them. Worked for me anyway.
  • 0 Likes

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome! Ready and Forward!

OP SUPERSPORT25

SUPERSPORT25

Android Apprentice

• 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:35 PM #7

I went to the Verizon store and they confirmed that yes once you are grandfathered in you are good. Its the new customers and people that are not coming from a smartphone that have to choose the new formatted data plans. So far im leaning towards getting the Droid Razr Maxx but they told me on the phone I have to wait 30 days prior to my upgrade date before I can upgrade. I bet the stores are more lenient with that. Thank you everyone
  • 0 Likes

Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi

sad faced

• 675 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:57 PM #8

If you are just 30 days from upgrading. They should go ahead and upgrade you now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

darkamor

darkamor

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:21 PM #9

Verizon Wireless offers an online guide to judge how much G you may use (& what plan to get) ....

http://www.verizonwi...ulatorPopup.jsp

Their biggest deal now (4G lte service) is the twice as much G for half the price (its my opinion that Verizon Wireless will find a way to end "unlimited service" - even if it means toggling your service if you use a lot of G) ...

http://shop.verizonw...?id=Double Data

What does this mean for Consumers? Continue the Unlimited for as long as you can, but if you're forced to choose a new plan based on how much G you use monthly? Please use the data calculator & monitor your usage (I'm a 3G user who will be upgrading this year to a 4G lte since that's the only way you're going to get a legit upgrade of Ice Cream Sandwich software on your Android Smart Phone) .....

The surcharges (in my opinion) for going over your G limit are ridiculous (these Cellular Service Providers can afford to update their towers, I believe 3G service will end in 2013 & those existing towers will become 4G) ...
  • 0 Likes

Swiftmazda

Swiftmazda

Super User

• 438 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:03 PM #10

Like others have said, you'll retain your unlimited data as long as you dont cancel your plan or anything since people with unlimited data are grandfathered in.

A Verizon rep in the store also confirmed that switching to 4G will not affect unlimited data either. In fact, I switched to the Razr and still have unlimited data after my plan was switched to 4G. The speed of the data has no affect on the terms regarding usage.

Edited by Swiftmazda, 25 March 2012 - 09:04 PM.

• 0 Likes