1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Would Windows 8 able to run on TouchPad?

• Please log in to reply

Motoki

Motoki

Android Lover

• 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:27 PM #11

Wow there is some serious dreaming going on in this thread.

Also those old stories from October were rumors and most likely referred to a new device that HP was pondering creating which would almost certainly have different hardware.

Do people really expect HP and Microsoft to push out a free OTA full OS update for Windows 8 on a dead device that HP already took a huge loss on?

Edited by Motoki, 02 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

• 0 Likes

Fryguy101

Fryguy101

Android Beginner

• 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:36 PM #12

Wow there is some serious dreaming going on in this thread.

Also those old stories from October were rumors and most likely referred to a new device that HP was pondering creating which would almost certainly have different hardware.

Do people really expect HP and Microsoft to push out a free OTA full OS update for Windows 8 on a dead device that HP already took a huge loss on?

No, but MS (with HP's blessing) offering an (optional) install ISO specifically built for the Touchpad?

OTA would mean the non-technical people with one would end up with an entirely new OS (and probably lost files). Optional sideload would mean you have a free army of evangelists who install it themselves.
  • 0 Likes

Salvation27

Salvation27

Super User

• 359 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:37 PM #13

And, also, it's NOT rumored, but true that HP is working on a Win8 Tablet...... so honestly, it could be reality
  • 0 Likes

gamer765

gamer765

Android Apprentice

• 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:43 PM #14

I think you guys are confusing the HP TouchPad with another Windows based tablet that HP said is being worked on. As for the argument of the HD2 originally being a Windows phone, that is incorrect. It is based off of Windows Mobile which is not Windows Phone 7. Microshaft didn't offer WP7 as an upgrade to HD2 users, so it's still warez.
Let's say that a group of people are working on porting Windows 8 to the HP TouchPad and that they actually succeed. It would basically stop there since releasing any binaries would immediately categorize it as warez. The only way it would be legally possible is if they release notes/instructions for how to get Windows 8 working on the TouchPad WITHOUT providing any copyright code. Getting the files would be your own responsibility and not theirs. Legal for them, illegal for you.
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:55 PM #15

As for the argument of the HD2 originally being a Windows phone, that is incorrect. It is based off of Windows Mobile which is not Windows Phone 7.

Who ever said it officially ran Windows Phone 7?

Not I.

I said it was a windows phone as in ran some version of Windows. Not to be confused with Windows Phone 7. Please read before you reply.

It was also a windows phone to begin with (windows 6.5) and had similar hardware to other windows phones.

Although I will give you all the fact windows was ported, regardless of similarities.

• 1 Likes

HY-rowi

HY-rowi

Android Lover

• 110 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:26 PM #16

You get tons of geeks who know what they're doing putting it on their devices, trying it out, telling their friends, showing off the capabilities of their newest operating system, a nice install-base boost right off the bat... and the only downside is that a discontinued product with a relatively limited number of examples gets your product for free. If I were Microsoft, I'd chalk up the possible 'lost sales' up as a marketing cost, and you'd instantly have hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of capable and attractive Win8 tablets out there and being shown off to friends and family...

Or,

You get tons of freaks who actually don't know what they're doing putting it on their (by then almost 2 years old) devices, trying it out, turns out slow as hell, telling their friends how crappy it is, showing off the capabilities of their newest operating system in the worst possible way, a nice hell-base yelling right off the bat...while not making a single dime profit for the company.

Nice move.
  • 0 Likes

Fryguy101

Fryguy101

Android Beginner

• 39 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:54 PM #17

Or,

You get tons of freaks who actually don't know what they're doing putting it on their (by then almost 2 years old) devices, trying it out, turns out slow as hell, telling their friends how crappy it is, showing off the capabilities of their newest operating system in the worst possible way, a nice hell-base yelling right off the bat...while not making a single dime profit for the company.

Nice move.

Hence why Microsoft would, you know, test it first. If it would be slow, no release...
  • 0 Likes

Motoki

Motoki

Android Lover

• 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:44 PM #18

Yes well Microsoft could also give me a million dollars. It would be great PR. I'd tell all my friends. Somehow though I am not holding my breath.

Edited by Motoki, 02 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

• 0 Likes

uwndrd

uwndrd

Android Beginner

• 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:31 AM #19

I guess, with a hell lot of work and availability of Windows 8 tablets with similiar hardware, illegal port could happen. But i don't think that it would really be worth it: no software, etc... Better to put all that work elseware.
  • 0 Likes

Mgamerz

Mgamerz

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:22 AM #20

No, microsoft windows is closed source and is copyright so tampering with it without their permission is illegal. There will be some exceptions foe OEMs I bet.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk on AT&T, the company that disappoints me so much that I have to use my tapatalk signature to tell everyone
  • 0 Likes