Android OS Forum banner

IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update!

246K views 453 replies 108 participants last post by  skreelink 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The .621 update is being pushed out nationwide at this point, so anyone that is in to rooting and ROMing their Droid X needs to know some important information.
  • You can keep root by using OTA Rootkeeper, available from the market here. HOWEVER READ THE REST OF THIS POST BEFORE DOING THIS!
  • It is not recommended you accept the .621 OTA update at this time, because of some very important information, detailed below:
If you accept the OTA update, the first and foremost item of important is there is no way to revert back. Currently, if you go to .621, you will have no way to revert back to earlier firmware. There has been an SBF file leaked for .621. However, you can still not revert back, and if you are forced to SBF, you may be able to gain root, but it is quite a convoluted method. You cannot revert to any system version earlier than .621, which means no Froyo.

If you are on a custom ROM, it should already have the OTA updater apk removed, so you should not receive system updates. If you are on stock, rooted, you need to disable the OTA updater apk. I have posted a video on Youtube, below, on a method to do this using Root Explorer. You can also do the same with Titanium Backup by going in and freezing the apk, it does the same thing.

If you've broken yourself and are on .621 I have loaded up a .621 SBF to my dropbox. Grab it from the link in my signature. I'm just hosting the file, all thanks goes to Daywalker who obtained this leak on XDA: Click here for original thread. As I said above, use at your own risk. You will lose root using the SBF file, and if you are on .602/.605 just don't even touch that thing! If you need an SBF I have the .602 SBF hosted as well.

Thanks to Coltzfan, and ccsoccer03 for taking the OTA, and then promptly bricking their phones after attempting the SBF. Also thanks to shatter for posting the /system partition of a .621 rooted phone, bukolov1 from the Ukraine finding the root exploit, m.ksy for bringing it here, and Skelente for the writeup.

The method to gain root is listed below. The method is confirmed to work on all .621 version, however it is complicated and you need to follow directions *to the letter*. Once you are on the rooted .604 system (Milestone X) you should be able to flash any custom ROMs that work on .602/.605 (GB-based ROMs, 2nd-init. Cannot revert to Froyo or other ROMs however. Scroll to bottom of OP for info about blur-based ROMs)

1KDS has released a Live Disc which will perform the Linux SBF and also the Zergrush root, all in one convenient package. It is BY FAR the easiest method available. You can get it at the link below:

After obtaining root you can flash this package in CWM. It will put you back on the correct .621 Droid X kernel and recoveries rather than the .604 Milestone X kernel and recoveries.

Thanks go to ky41083 [Link]

MD5: [background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]1D2EE9260E6C7510292B1AF5F7D6ACC1[/background]

The below method is if you want to do it manually. (You, for some reason, can't load up a live disc, either on USB or CD)

Root Method: (Credit goes to Skelente for the write-up, bukolov1 from the Ukraine for the exploit, and m.ksy for bringing it home to us Xers)

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IN RSD LITE FOR THE .604 SBF! YOU WILL BREAK STUFF MORE THAN YOU CARE! JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE!

Note: This must be flashed using a linux SBF method, not Windows RSD Lite

This is due to the radio on the SBF file, its the Milestone radio (BP_C_02.12.00P), and flashing with RSD Light will change your phone to this radio, and not work.

The Linux SBF programs will not change the 6.21 radio (BP_C_01.09.15P)

Skelente's Guide to Linux SBF

Okay, so crash course in how to boot Live Linux so that you can easily run sbf_flash. First off, when you're running a Linux distribution live, what you're really doing is essentially loading up Linux into RAM, so it doesn't modify anything (like changing the content of your hard drive) which means that anytime you reboot, all of your changes will be lost, unless you use a USB stick and create a "persistent" drive. The persistent drive will create a basically fake partition that you can save files to from both Linux and Windows, and the data will remain after rebooting, hence the name "persistent." Personally, I'd say go with the USB route, because if you ever need to do this again, you can just boot from the USB stick and run the sbf_flash and be done with it.

So here we go.

1.) Download the latest Ubuntu iso for your system. Most processors these days are 64 bit, but if you're running on an older computer or do not know if you have a 32 or 64 bit processor I'd recommend doing 32 bit just to be safe (64 bit processors can run both 32 and 64 bit distributions, but 32 bit systems cannot run 64 bit distributions.) Side note: you can download other distributions, but if you do you will not be able to create the persistent drive using the USB method. It should also be noted that some older systems cannot boot from USB, most newer systems (post 2000/2001 IIRC) can boot from USB, however you should consult Google to verify for your system.

2.) Burn the iso:
2.a If you have a cd burner and blank disc, this is the easiest method but, again, you will not have a persistent drive you will just have a Live CD. Use an iso burner to burn to cd, then skip to step 3a.
2.b If you do not have a burner, a blank disc (or don't feel like wasting a DVD disc) but have a free USB drive (with at least 2 GB of memory, bit overkill but it has to be big enough to hold the iso + changes + the persistent "drive") then I recommend downloading either unetbootin or universal USB installer. Go to either web site and follow their instructions. If you use Ubuntu, you'll have the option of creating a persistent drive, which is basically a fake-partition that allows you to save files to when you reboot Linux after running this Live USB. I would recommend using a persistent size of at least 200 mb so we can save the SBF file and sbf_flash. If you created a persistent drive go to step 4. If you opted out of this, skip to step 4.

3.a So you have a Live CD now. If you have a spare flash drive, load up the 604 SBF and sbf_flash. Either way, you'll need to proceed to booting into linux, go to step 4.
3.b Once the respective application has finished, copy the SBF and sbf_flash file to the persistent drive listed in windows.

4. Now we need to boot from your Live image. Restart your computer. When your computer is booting up it should give you two options, "Enter BIOS" and "Select Boot Order" or similar. For my Lenovo Laptop, I can hit F12 to change the boot order, and from there I can select my USB port and it'll boot from there. If you do not see a boot order option, you will need to go into your bios and change the boot order manually. Again, you will need consult Google for this as the menu selections vary by system. It really isn't that hard to figure out if you go through the menus, but I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend and encourage you to google your motherboard's manual to verify what you need to change if you don't know what you are doing. You are responsible for any changes you make on your system. Your BIOS is crucial for your system to function properly. Once you have found where to change your boot order, select the respective drive (USB, or your CD/DVD drive). These will be listed by the manufacture name (so SamsungXXXX for a Samsung drive or PNYXXXX if you're using a PNY usb stick.)

5. When Ubuntu boots up, it'll give you an option to run "Live" from the CD/USB. Select this option. Installing to your hard drive could mess up your current OS install, and I'm not going to get into partitioning here. Once you've gotten into Ubuntu, select "Dash Home" in the upper left hand corner, and then type terminal in the search box. Click terminal, then open it up.

6. Now you'll need to get to where ever you have the SBF and sbf_flash stored through the terminal. If you chose to use the boot cd, and did not have an available flash drive, you will need to download the SBF from here, as well as sbf_flash and then extract them to the same folder. The default is "Downloads" and I recommend just extracting them to that directory for simplicity.
6.a If you had to download the SBF/sbf_flash, getting there through terminal is rather easy. All you'll need to do is type these commands into the terminal:
cd Downloads

chmod +x sbf_flash

sudo ./sbf_flash mb809-2.3.5.sbf
(enter password as requested)

And then let the program do it's work. When it's done, go to step 7. Below is what you'll see on the terminal output if all goes as planned...

[hide="Terminal output"]
joe@joe-Satellite-A665:~/Downloads$ chmod +x sbf_flash
joe@joe-Satellite-A665:~/Downloads$ sudo ./sbf_flash mb809-2.3.5.sbf
[sudo] password for joe:
SBF FLASH 1.24 (mbm)
http://opticaldelusion.org

=== mb809-2.3.5.sbf ===
00: RDL03 0x82000000-0x8204CFFF B942 AP
01: RDL01 0x00150000-0x001FFFFF DEFA BP
02: CG03 0x00000000-0x00904367 7533 BP
03: CG31 0xB0280000-0xB02847FF 0EB7 AP
04: CG33 0xB1900000-0xB24C07FF 5CC1 AP
05: CG34 0xB0700000-0xB07047FF 75F3 AP
06: CG35 0xB1000000-0xB13FFFFF 8B8E AP
07: CG39 0xB2A00000-0xC41C07FF 1725 AP
08: CG42 0xB0800000-0xB083FFFF AC60 AP
09: CG47 0xB1400000-0xB18FFFFF 6FE7 AP
10: CG61 0xB0B00000-0xB0B7FFFF 5D7F AP
11: CG64 0xB0000000-0xB00047FF 1768 AP
12: CG65 0xB0180000-0xB01847FF 7167 AP
13: CG66 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF AAB8 AP

>> waiting for phone: Connected.
>> uploading RDL03: 100.0%
-- OK
>> verifying ramloader
-- OK
>> executing ramloader
-- OK
>> waiting for phone: Connected.
>> sending erase
-- OK
>> uploading CG31: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG33: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG34: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG35: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG39: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG42: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG47: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG61: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG64: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG65: 100.0%
-- OK
>> uploading CG66: 100.0%
-- OK
>> verifying CG31
-- OK
>> verifying CG33
-- OK
>> verifying CG34
-- OK
>> verifying CG35
-- OK
>> verifying CG39
-- OK
>> verifying CG42
-- OK
>> verifying CG47
-- OK
>> verifying CG61
-- OK
>> verifying CG64
-- OK
>> verifying CG65
-- OK
>> verifying CG66
-- OK
>> rebooting
[/hide]

6.b If you already copied the required files to a USB drive, we need to get there through terminal. Type these commands:
cd /
cd /media/

ls (This command will list all the drives connected to your system, cdrom, usb, etc. If you used the Universal USB installer it will list the USB drive as "PENDRIVE", I'm not sure what the default is for Unetbootin but you should be able to figure it out and if you just used a spare device it could be completely random.)
cd drivename (obvioiusly this will vary based on the USB method, for me its "cd PENDRIVE"
If your files were just on the main drive, you don't need to do anything else but the following commands. If you put them in another folder, you will need to do "cd foldername" without the quotes obviously. When you're in the directory with both the SBF and sbf_flash you will need to do these commands (again, ignoring the '-'):

chmod +x sbf_flash

./sbf_flash mb809-2.3.5.sbf
And then let the program do it's work. When it's done, go to step 7.

7.) After sbf_flash is done, you'll need to restart your computer. You will probably also need to manually activate your phone with Verizon. If so just dial *228, option 1. Its recommended you remove your boot media (cd or usb drive) so that Windows can boot normally. If you changed the boot order in bios you will need to change it back to what it was before, otherwise whenever you have a CD/USB stick plugged in your computer will automatically try to boot from it, and get pissy if it can't boot from the media.

8.) Once you're back in windows you'll need to run the zergrushv4 root method. From there you can do whatever you want. You still cannot SBF to previous versions (602 or 605) and you cannot run Froyo roms. Here's the Zergrush output:

[hide="Zergrush v4 Output]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Easy rooting toolkit (v4.0)
created by DooMLoRD
using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)
Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!
[*] This script will:
(1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (21 Nov)
(2) install Busybox (1.18.4)
(3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)
(4) some checks for free space, tmp directory
(will remove Google Maps if required)
[*] Before u begin:
(1) make sure u have installed adb drivers for ur device
(2) enable "USB DEBUGGING"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)
(3) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications)
(4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes
(5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC
(6) skip "PC Companion Software" prompt on device
CONFIRM ALL THE ABOVE THEN
Press any key to continue . . .
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
--- creating temporary directory
mkdir failed for tmp, File exists
--- cleaning
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
--- pushing zergRush
481 KB/s (23060 bytes in 0.046s)
--- correcting permissions
--- executing zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] © 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, © 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x18
[+] Overseer found a path ! 0x000151e0
[+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x4011ccd4 0x0074
[*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
[+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd19403 0xafd3924f
[*] Sending 181 zerglings ...

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT
if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:
disconnect usb cable and reconnect it
toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox
1641 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.639s)
--- remounting /system
--- checking free space on /system
13 KB/s (439 bytes in 0.031s)
--- Free space on /system : 92% bytes
test: 92%: bad number
--- NOT enough free space on /system!!!
--- making free space by removing Google Maps
--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/
2099+1 records in
2099+1 records out
1075144 bytes transferred in 0.094 secs (11437702 bytes/sec)
--- correcting ownership
--- installing busybox
--- pushing SU binary
231 KB/s (22228 bytes in 0.093s)
--- correcting ownership
--- correcting symlinks
--- pushing Superuser app
3074 KB/s (785801 bytes in 0.249s)
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
ALL DONE!!!
Terminate batch job (Y/N)?
[/hide]

[b]Additional Info:[/b] If for some reason you b0rked this up, and flashed it in RSD Lite rather than Linux,[b] BAD BAD BAD. DO NOT DO THIS. [/b]You will need to use RSD Lite to reflash yourself to the .621 unrooted SBF file. You will also need to call Verizon after back on .621 and have them re-enable or re-provision your data. That is what has gotten most people back up and running.

This method seemingly works because it still has the updated bootloader or whatever it was that Moto included in the update that stopped reverting to earlier firmware, so we can still go to this version, but it still has previously unpatched security holes that can be exploited for root.

[b][size=5]If you are planning on flashing ROMs, some ROMs cause issues with this version. Blur-based ROMs will cause a kernel panic and require an SBF if you attempt to flash the normal versions. I am working on updating the install scripts for these ROMs so they will work; in the meantime 2nd-init ROMs have no reported issues (besides user error)[/size][/b]

[b][size=5]If you would like to use Blur-based ROMs I am compiling patched versions as I get permission from Developer's here:[/size][/b]
[URL="http://rootzwiki.com/topic/21337-roms-multi-rom-thread-blur-based-roms-for-those-on-621604/"]http://rootzwiki.com...hose-on-621604/[/URL]

See less See more
#7 ·
Updated OP with info about .621 SBF and also updated signature and uploaded a .621 SBF to my dropbox as a secondary mirror. Also won't have to go through that riggamaroll of trying to download off easyshare or whatever Daywalker had put it on. As I said in the OP, all credit goes to him for the leak

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a theory about the bootloader, please feel free anyone to shoot it down or help see if it will work.

TBH released patches for bootloader, kernel, and baseband. here

So my theory is that the bootloader patch they released was 30.04, if we get root on .621 and can get into Clockwork recovery, could we install this bootloader patch which is still 30.04, and then be able to SBF back to .602?

What do you guys think? Anybody willing to try it out who has root and CW recovery working?

#18 ·
The .621 SBF does work it might take a few attempts but it did work for me on 3rd try. . My phone has been down ALL day after applying the .621 update. Like an idiot I did NO research until it wasn't working anymore. Tried and failed to SBF 602 then 596 even tried 340 ALL Failed and phone would no get past boot loader. Downloaded 621 SBF....

#19 ·
Have any of you with driver/RSD problems thought about just using linux to SBF?

#20 ·
Also, XDA has a thread with RSD Lite 5.6 up for download if there's still problems with Windows machines.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Pooka when I get home I'll download 5.6 and throw it in my Dropbox.

EDIT: Found 5.6.4. Updated my SBF thread with link in Dropbox, anyone can feel free to grab it off the link in my sig if you are having issues with 5.4.4

Edit: Updated OP with possible root exploit. Guinea pigs please hack away! Would love to get this new build broken!

Sent from my unthrottled Shadow MIUI

#22 ·
The .621 update is being pushed out nationwide at this point, so anyone that is in to rooting and ROMing their Droid X needs to know some important information.
  • This update does not currently have a method to obtain root. UPDATE: There may be a root exploit. Please refer to bottom of this post.
  • You can keep root by using OTA Rootkeeper, available from the market here. HOWEVER READ THE REST OF THIS POST BEFORE DOING THIS!
  • It is not recommended you accept the .621 OTA update at this time, because of some very important information, detailed below:
If you accept the OTA update, the first and foremost item of important is there is no way to revert back. Currently, if you go to .621, you will have no way to revert back to earlier firmware. There has been an SBF file leaked for .621. However, you can still not revert back, and if you are forced to SBF, there is no confirmed root method (a possible exploit is detailed at the bottom, if you are on stock .621, please go down there now. WE NEED TESTERS). There is also no current development on .621 (although feasibly a .602/.605 ROM will work, it is not worth attempting the flashing process until we have a confirmed root method) If you are on a custom ROM, it should already have the OTA updater apk removed, so you should not receive system updates. If you are on stock, rooted, you need to disable the OTA updater apk. I have posted a video on Youtube, below, on a method to do this using Root Explorer. You can also do the same with Titanium Backup by going in and freezing the apk, it does the same thing. Progress is being worked on for a root method on this update, but for the time being, if you go to .621, YOU CANNOT GO BACK, and you if you have to SBF you will permanently lose root until a root exploit is discovered. If you need to SBF and are on .621 I have loaded up a .621 SBF to my dropbox. Grab it from the link in my signature. I'm just hosting the file, all thanks goes to Daywalker who obtained this leak on XDA: Click here for original thread. As I said above, use at your own risk. You will lose root using the SBF file, and if you are on .602/.605 just don't even touch that thing! If you need an SBF I have the .602 SBF hosted as well. I hope this clears up any confusion about this update. I will update the OP as needed. Hopefully a mod could pin this for the time being, at least until we (hopefully) find a work around. It would probably also be ideal to edit SyNiK4L's OP in the SBF thread with a link here for people that have the .621 before they attempt the SBF. Thanks to Coltzfan, and ccsoccer03 for taking the OTA, and then promptly bricking their phones after attempting the SBF. Without their loss we wouldn't have known. Also thanks to shatter for posting the /system partition of a .621 rooted phone, hopefully this will lead to a work-around being found. EDIT: There is a possibility of a root exploit found, however we need some guinea pigs for people that are on unrooted .621. It will require z4root and the su.apk, binaries, and a working ADB system. Quoted below is from Androidforums, link to original is here: http://androidforums...621-update.html THIS IS UNTESTED BY ME, AS I AM NOT ON .621. IT SHOULD BE SAFE AS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG YOU CAN SBF. HOWEVER I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE. IF YOU DECIDE TO TEST THIS, IT IS UP TO YOU! I have put together everything needed to attempt this in a single folder (includes su.apk, binaries, and z4root) if you need assistance getting ADB working please refer here: http://rootzwiki.com...b-source-72911/ Download (su, binaries, z4root) http://dl.dropbox.co...inary_and_z4.7z MD5: 8453FD1171DA3A30D13AA33F3016868D Size: 1,483,644 bytes
This doesn't work for me. I've got a phone which had .605 stock with root and then I took the OTA .621 update like a dummy and afterwards the apps that had root access still had it but new apps couldn't get root access.

So I tried what you suggested and tried to gain temporary root with Z4Root and when I opened Z4Root it displayed the message that it couldn't get root access. Despite that message I tried the Temporary Root and after a few seconds of seeing the messages it displays while it is trying to gain root access it simply closed down without a force close error. Despite that I attempted to adb shell as directed in the post and when I attempt to execute "/sdcard/su" I get an error message in my adb window saying permission denied.

So this method does not work on my phone...

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm ok, I was wondering about that if the previous poster from @AndroidForums still had some remnants of root laying around while allowed him to gain SU access. You mentioned in the CM7 thread that you took the .621 OTA and root apps that had it previously still had root access. If so, had you used the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper? If so then you shouldn't need the new binaries and su apk, you should have those items already in backup. I am also clarifying to him whether this method will allow new apps to gain root access. I have heard that even though Voodoo keeps root access it does not allow new apps to get root. At this time I'm just attempting to see if it is true it will regain at least baseline root access, and hopefully from there we can get us in to start approving new aps for root. I have PM'd him as his description was a bit vague. Perhaps try attempting to execute */sdcard/su while it attempting to gain the root and not after it shuts down? Or from your backups if you had Voodoo

#30 ·
That's it, really. I don't think you can inject something in through the SBF. Even though /system is (apparently) unsigned, there's something preventing you with tampering with the SBF file it seems like.

So, you're left to find an exploit somewhere in the system to get a root shell, then you can modify things at will. Dan Rosenberg's blog @ http://vulnfactory.org/blog/ is a great read for Android buffs who want to know more of the gory details.

#34 ·
maybe i missed something.. or have not read every bit about this topic... so ill make it short....
hated what motorizon did to my DX, upgraded to my fantastic GNex early, which means i have NO service and cant upgrade OTA (cant activate, but can still use the phone with WIFI)....sooooo.....
anyone tried to SBF to .621, or is that phone stuck on the super buggy .605... i hope someone lets me know soon, im aching to so something with this phone since i know it works at playing vids from my NAS onto my big bedroom TV.

frankly, im willing to be the no service guinie pig... too bad i cant do what im suposed to do with cell phones and ask the carrier to relaese that device for use on other networks(i know... its a joke of sorts... but dont i own the phone now?)

#36 ·
Don't sbf to 621. It's not yet rootable, so that would be a ridiculously huge bad idea

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanx Goose I really appreciate your insight and willingness to asst even though you personally was not affected. I've been playing guinea pigs as I am one of those people on unrooted .621. Hosting the required z4root, su.apk, and binaries files in single folder was a really nice touch. I used ADB to root my phone initially and I really did not like NOT having root. So I thought I'd give it a go. I followed the instructions from the OP (below) and got NO Where except right back where I started.

The device is recognized in ADB but just can't seem to get to super user permissions ERROR: "permission denied" when running /sdcard/su from the $ prompt. Not wanting to give up and be forced to buy a RAZR Maxx so I tried the 2 most recent ZergRush exploits Results posted below. Also tried the XYZ Root for the Xoom and Xborg with similar results. I'd be willing to try something else....

--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
--- cleaning
--- pushing zergRush"
1441 KB/s (23056 bytes in 0.015s)
--- executing zergRush

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118
[*] Scooting ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox
1599 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.656s)
--- remounting /system
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
--- installing busybox
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
--- pushing SU binary
failed to copy 'files\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
--- correcting symlinks
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
link failed Read-only file system
failed to copy 'files\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
file system
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
ALL DONE!!!

I attempted to restore root with Rootkeeper, but it failed! Turns out my problem was that I had root previously, and that gums up the process.
So I was on 621 with no root - just like you, except I did have a backup of my su program in /system/su-backup created by Rootkeeper. I was
able to recover from this using Z4 1.3. I chose to "temporary root", which didn't seem to do anything, but when I "adb shell" into the phone I
was able to execute /system/su-backup and it gave me a root (#) prompt. From there I just copied /system/su-backup to /system/xbin/su, and my problem was fixed.
What I suggest you try:
1. get a copy of the su binary, and the Superuser.apk
2. copy them to your sd card
3. run Z4 and choose temporary root
4. once z4 runs, do "adb shell"
5. in the shell ($ prompt) execute "/sdcard/su" to get a root prompt (#)
6. run the following command in the root prompt:
- cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
- install /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
- chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
- /system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin/
- ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanx Goose I really appreciate your insight and willingness to asst even though you personally was not affected. I've been playing guinea pigs as I am one of those people on unrooted .621. Hosting the required z4root, su.apk, and binaries files in single folder was a really nice touch. I used ADB to root my phone initially and I really did not like NOT having root. So I thought I'd give it a go. I followed the instructions from the OP (below) and got NO Where except right back where I started.

The device is recognized in ADB but just can't seem to get to super user permissions ERROR: "permission denied" when running /sdcard/su from the $ prompt. Not wanting to give up and be forced to buy a RAZR Maxx so I tried the 2 most recent ZergRush exploits Results posted below. Also tried the XYZ Root for the Xoom and Xborg with similar results. I'd be willing to try something else....

[hide='Zerg Report']
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
--- cleaning
--- pushing zergRush"
1441 KB/s (23056 bytes in 0.015s)
--- executing zergRush
[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015118
[*] Scooting ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox
1599 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.656s)
--- remounting /system
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
--- installing busybox
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
--- pushing SU binary
failed to copy 'files\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
--- correcting symlinks
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
link failed Read-only file system
failed to copy 'files\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
file system
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
ALL DONE!!!
Press any key to continue . .[/hide] .
Thanks for the report. If you go back a page or two Chromicant confirmed that it wouldn't work, as you can't elevate SU from SDCard unless the system is already rooted. The person from Android forums likely still had an SU-elevated system, just something was lost on the OTA (su, binaries, etc) for some reason it allowed him to bypass in. I have updated the OP. Methinks our best bet may be to PM Doomlord or someone similar over on XDA, see if they can update zergrush. I'd think it'd still work (its a nearly universal root tool) it may just need a small update (send more zerglings, LOL) Oh well, I will continue to monitor various boards and will update whenever I get new info.

As a side note, I also used ADB to root my phone initially, back on Eclair, using the rageagainstthecage exploit. Man, those were the days
Best of luck to your rooting adventures, we are all looking for a solution at this time.

#41 ·
Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to modding Android update.zip files. And yes, I've Googled it and couldn't find anything useful. My question:

What exactly is stopping us from just unzipping the update, modifying the updater-script file and removing / altering the section where it resets permissions, zipping it back up and flashing that with clockwork recovery?

#42 ·
Not having the 621 update on my phone, I can't say. I'm guessing if you are able to get to clockwork recovery, you could just flash the superuser zip. I assumed you couldn't access CWR after the OTA

#43 ·
That would only work if you took the OTA of Doom and still had CWR access. If you had to sbf after that, you're screwed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.