Goo.im Expansion

expansion donations Goo.im
  • This topic is locked

OP Snipa

Snipa

SysAdmin

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:27 PM #1

Hello!

At this time (2/25/2012), we've gone ahead and ordered the start of our hardware for our expansion! We'd like to send our thanks to everyone that's made this possible so far, especally the miui.us team, having donationed 1k to us to help really get things going. We've gone ahead and ordered/reserved our space in the DC, and will be moving into it some time next month. We'll be starting with just the core servers (Storage/distribution) and with a slightly modified plan to better fit our budget, so that we can continue to provide high quality rom hosting into the future.

I'll be keeping this thread updated with information about the expansion as it comes along.
  • 5 Likes
Alexander Blair
Head admin of http://goo.im
Linux admin who plays with whatever scripting language amuses him.

OP Snipa

Snipa

SysAdmin

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:02 AM #2

It's been a big weekend for us this weekend (2/28/2012) With the core hardware on order, thanks to some overflow from this month's adsense, we've ordered a couple of the utility boxes as well, (tweaked to fit the budget, but with room for upgrades later ;) ) along with all of our networking gear that we need to make sure this goes smoothly. At this time, we've chosen a 500mbit commit for the main distro (Yes, we can use every last bit of that, and more!) along with a 20mbit commit on 100mbit burst to handle the site itself. We're slated to start deployment on the 17th of march, however, I'll be syncing data from the minute I get all the hardware in, so we can be up on the new connections as quick as we can. It's looking to be fun guys!

For those keeping tally, we're going to be running in a 47u locked rack, with just us in it. Internally, our network will be running on a Dell Powerconnect 2748, with our frontend switch being a Dell PowerConnect 6024 (Gotta love ebay. You /really/ do.) The physical hardware that we've ordered includes a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Gen 2 with 2x quad E5345's and 16Gb of ram, running the OS on a pair of 36 Gb SAS 15k RPM drives in raid 1, with 4 WD 2Tb Green Drives (Power consumption is a major factor in colo yanno!) running in a raid 5 for primary storage. We've also picked up an SSD for flashcache if needed, and if not, we'll hold on to this, for the upcoming build server. The new servers ordered today, are a pair of Dell PowerEdge 1950 Gen 2 servers with 2x dual core 5060's, and 8Gb of ram each. Drives for the OS are similar as above. One of these servers are slated to handle primary distribution of the roms, the other is our gateway box to the internal network for maintence. Everything is running hardware raid (So mdadm can die in a fire!) with BBU's and 256Mb caches, along with having DRAC cards, so we can monitor them better, as we've had issues with that as it is!

I know it's a long post, but people seem to be interested, so feel free to comment away!

Edited by Snipa, 28 February 2012 - 03:23 PM.

• 1 Likes
Alexander Blair

atyoung

atyoung

Mason Kernel Guy

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:20 PM #3

Looks great!
  • 0 Likes
-=- All your supersonics R belong to us. -=- Freenode @ #masonic
Supersonic ROM: AOKP b38+ KERNEL: Mason SA v1.1
Supersonic ROM: CNC aka (Codename: Christina) v-0.0.19a2 KERNEL: Mason D v-dev46 sbc fso
Galaxy Nexus ROM: AOKP v-b38 KERNEL: Mason NI 0.16d fso

puk3n

puk3n

Android Apprentice

• 483 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:50 AM #4

WOW! thats so awesome! i like the raid five option, also a pr. 36 Gb SAS 15k RPM drives in raid 1 nice! linux OS?
  • 0 Likes
Device: SCH-530U (32GB)
ON ROM: RootBox
Recovery: TWRP 2.4.X.X
Kernel: 3.4.36-cyanogenMod
...Live like a child, think like the god.

OP Snipa

Snipa

SysAdmin

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:44 PM #5

Yep. We're going to be running CentOS 6 across the boxes, when we can afford our build farm (Soon I hope <3) That will of course, be running Ubuntu 10.04 as the development/build environment, and I'm looking forwards to it, oh so very much <3
  • 0 Likes
Alexander Blair

goldsmitht

goldsmitht

Android Apprentice - Semi-noob

• 614 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:23 PM #6

any idea when the transfer will be up? I'm trying to download a couple of ROM's by separate devs and none will download in less than "2-3 hours". warning that things will run slow or wacky is still up, and wondering when we will be able to download again.
  • 0 Likes
Crack Flasher Aficionado

DrMacinyasha

DrMacinyasha

Professional Stuff Breaker

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:39 PM #7

any idea when the transfer will be up? I'm trying to download a couple of ROM's by separate devs and none will download in less than "2-3 hours". warning that things will run slow or wacky is still up, and wondering when we will be able to download again.

At this time we do not have a solid ETA. Rsyncs are currently running, and the current download servers are swamped with transfers due to the CyanogenMod 7.2 RC1. Hopefully tomorrow we will have everything migrated.
  • 0 Likes

Views expressed do not represent RootzWiki or Goo.im unless explicitly declared as such.
Rules, motherf*cker! Did you read them?