Rate this Topic

2 votes

Warning .621=NO SBF ... I REPEAT NO SBF

• Please log in to reply

OP ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03

• 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:08 AM #1

You will end up with a bootloader error that says Mem_map blank blah blah blah... Yes mine bricked, and it bricked hard. others have too... just dont even try it.

edit: I thought I might make the steps I took more clear to first time readers.
I took the .621 update.
Everything was fine.
Missed root, sooo
Sbf'd back to .602
All goes fine in flashing process... phone reboots... then
BRICK

What did we learn today? If you're on .621 ... dont you dare sbf back. You are PROMISED a PERMABRICK. This is serious crap. Just dont even do it. Getting my Rezound Friday. I'm tired of the MotoCrap.

Edited by ccsoccer03, 22 February 2012 - 09:03 PM.

• 1 Likes

bobAbooey

bobAbooey

Android Master

• 1,434 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:15 AM #2

That really sucks for you guys. I'll hit up p3droid and twitter, maybe if we flood him, he will help out. He's all about the gnex now.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes
DX: Retired: (broken head phone jack)
Dinc: Retired: Some sort of CM9 variant.
Touchpad: CM
Galaxy s3: Rooted, Stock.

lancasterv3

lancasterv3

Supporting Member

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:29 AM #3

I know it definitely sucks man but thank you for posting this. I have been reading throughout the forums about the inability to flash back. Just adds insult to injury

• 0 Likes

bobAbooey

bobAbooey

Android Master

• 1,434 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:36 AM #4

Not sure how a warranty works after a year+ owning a phone but if the motoroloa update bricked my phone, I would be either leaving verizon with a new phone or in a cop car. I would try and get a new phone asap and never update it. Good luck guys.
  • 2 Likes
DX: Retired: (broken head phone jack)
Dinc: Retired: Some sort of CM9 variant.
Touchpad: CM
Galaxy s3: Rooted, Stock.

lancasterv3

lancasterv3

Supporting Member

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:40 AM #5

Not sure how a warranty works after a year+ owning a phone but if the motoroloa update bricked my phone, I would be either leaving verizon with a new phone or in a cop car. I would try and get a new phone asap and never update it. Good luck guys.

damn strait. I think there trying to kill off the last of modded Droid x`s.

• 0 Likes

Goose306

Goose306

Goosie Pizzle

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:42 AM #6

Agreed. If a forced software update caused a phone to be bricked, doesn't matter if its in warranty or not. I'd be willing to pay a shipping and handling charge if needed, at most. That crap should be replaced free of charge, regardless.

In the interim, I will be keeping OTA Rootkeeper on my phone for the rest of my Droid X life, unless a root method is discovered on .621. Don't trust Moto/VZW enough to not force an OTA on my phone when I'm not looking. Although if they forced an update on my MIUI it would likely cause even greater problems... :/
  • 0 Likes

kwest12

kwest12

Chief Molesting Officer

• 308 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:47 AM #7

Good lord... if this is true, this should be pinned immediately throughout the Droid X section....
  • 0 Likes

lancasterv3

lancasterv3

Supporting Member

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:59 AM #8

After reading the op again I think the update did not brick it but trying to sbf did which is even worse, because at that point you have no ground for a replacement.

• 0 Likes

chromicant

chromicant

Android Beginner

• 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:59 AM #9

Yup. Happened to me as well.

However, I've been poking and prodding my phone last evening trying to fix it, and I'm looking for someone who has .621 and is handy with Linux and sbf_flash. Want to see if I can get the images off a working .621 install and see if I can't do some magic on them.
  • 0 Likes

lancasterv3

lancasterv3

Supporting Member

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:04 AM #10

Yup. Happened to me as well.

However, I've been poking and prodding my phone last evening trying to fix it, and I'm looking for someone who has .621 and is handy with Linux and sbf_flash. Want to see if I can get the images off a working .621 install and see if I can't do some magic on them.

so does actually sbfing cause the brick?

• 0 Likes