Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Always enable animated gifs

• Please log in to reply

OP flare561

flare561

• 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:06 AM #1

The Droid Charge, like my own phone the Samsung Stratosphere, does an interesting check when displaying gifs. If you have less than 100MB of RAM (which rarely if ever happens) if will display them as static rather than animated. Therefore I modified libwebcore.so on the Stratosphere to enable them. I asked dwitherell, the developer of the fantastic TweakStock ROM for both the charge and the stratosphere, to include it in his next release of TweakStock, and he asked me if I would make a version for the charge as well. I figured I would release it here to you guys as well, before he releases his next build. It should in theory, work on any charge ROMs but I'm not sure since I don't have a charge to test it with. So here it is, a CWM zip file to give you animated gifs regardless of your available RAM. If any devs wish to use it in their custom ROMs feel free, all I ask is for a nod in my direction.
  • 5 Likes

dwitherell

dwitherell

Consummate tinkerer

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:19 AM #2

The Droid Charge, like my own phone the Samsung Stratosphere, does an interesting check when displaying gifs. If you have less than 100MB of RAM (which rarely if ever happens) if will display them as static rather than animated. Therefore I modified libwebcore.so on the Stratosphere to enable them. I asked dwitherell, the developer of the fantastic TweakStock ROM for both the charge and the stratosphere, to include it in his next release of TweakStock, and he asked me if I would make a version for the charge as well. I figured I would release it here to you guys as well, before he releases his next build. It should in theory, work on any charge ROMs but I'm not sure since I don't have a charge to test it with. So here it is, a CWM zip file to give you animated gifs regardless of your available RAM. If any devs wish to use it in their custom ROMs feel free, all I ask is for a nod in my direction.

And I can vouch for the fact that it DOES indeed work :)

Edited by dwitherell, 12 February 2012 - 08:56 AM.

• 1 Likes
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!

Posted Image

kvswim

kvswim

Android Lover

• 275 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:47 AM #3

So that's for the stock browser? What about making it work for other browsers, such as Dolphin Mini or HD?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki

Edited by kvswim, 12 February 2012 - 08:48 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP flare561

flare561

• 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:29 AM #4

it does work with Dolphin HD! It also works with every Reddit app I've used. Anything that relies on libwebcore.so to display web pages will have working gifs.
  • 0 Likes

Andrwmorph

Andrwmorph

Android Beginner

• 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:40 PM #5

Thanks a lot! I've been using Firefox as it is the only browser that properly displays animated gifs for me but I would much rather use the stock one.
  • 0 Likes

JihadSquad

JihadSquad

Super User

• 296 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:58 PM #6

Opera Mobile supports animated gifs pretty much no matter what.

Edited by JihadSquad, 13 February 2012 - 03:59 PM.

• 0 Likes
I will DIE for our cause!

kkeller87

kkeller87

Android Lover

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:50 PM #7

This is amazing.

Sent from my Gummy Charged GBE 2.0 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

jaffo

jaffo

Android Beginner

• 44 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:06 AM #8

Thanks for this, it works perfectly!
  • 0 Likes

kvswim

kvswim

Android Lover

• 275 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:45 PM #9

Confirmed-works on Dolphin Mini.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

mzchelle

mzchelle

Android Beginner

• 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:32 AM #10

Can somebody explain why Opera seems to run even faster than it already is after I installed this?
  • 0 Likes