Rate this Topic

- - - - -

[Notice] Regarding flashing and the Rezound

• Please log in to reply

OP erishasnobattery

erishasnobattery

Developer

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:27 AM #1

After passing my Rezound on to my younger brother, I began receiving an alarming number of text messages from him about issues he's been having with it. I would call him reasonably knowledgeable about all things Android and definitely an above average user, so I can only imagine the sorts of panic attacks the folks newer to Android are having, so hopefully I can clear up a few things here and maybe help prevent this mess in the future.

First of all, the Rezound is ONLY unlocked, NOT S-off. I know a lot of people that came to this device, came from another HTC that was more than likely S-off with an engineering hboot. This is like a free pass to do whatever you want with little fear of your device exploding. Basically, as long as you didn't overwrite your Hboot, you couldn't screw it up.

Unfortunately, unlocked does not include this free pass. However, devs and users alike seem to be forgetting this and flashing everything anybody with a pulse posts up with little regard to the consequences. To this, I say Devs: Shame on you for posting it, and Users: Shame on you for following blindly. So, here's my .02 on the situation.

Developers: You have a responsibility to the users. They rely on you to deliver a product that isn't going to mess up their phone in some way shape or form. A disclaimer stating that you aren't responsible for damage isn't a catch-all "Sorry you aren't as smart as me, go post in the general forum". Be mindful of what you're doing and take your time. I know that we all want to be the first to the public with the latest and greatest, but if it ruins the experience for the userbase, did you really accomplish anything? Anyway, here a couple of guidelines I think everyone should follow:
  • First and foremost, I think everyone needs to come to a consensus on the Mainver that will be used. Personally, I say use whatever the latest OFFICIAL release is. If Verizon is on 2.01.605.11, then EVERY PH98IMG should be using an android-info.txt that reflects that. Someone should maintain a thread with an attached file that EVERY dev can use in their work.
  • And while we're talking about PH98IMG files, I see absolutely no reason that ANYONE should be posting ANY of these that contain anything other than a Kernel or recovery image. If a user wants to update their hboot/radio/whatever they should be relocking their device and taking it OTA, then unlocking and reflashing their desired ROM. There is just too much margin for error when packing/repacking stock images and not worth the risk in my opinion.
  • Quit packing kernels in ROMs using fancy scripts and what not. Release a ROM zip, and include a kernel as a seperate download if it contains something that is necessary for the functionality of the ROM. The extra 14 seconds it takes to flash in bootloader isn't the end of the world and it removes an extra chance of "oops, I forgot to update the mainver".
  • If you are privy to a leak, please take the time to make it safe. Extract it and release it as a flashable zip with a seperate kernel flash with the correct mainver based on the current baseline. It only takes an hour at most to properly prepare it this way and ensures that there aren't 37 threads about not being able to downgrade a week later.
Users: You have a responsibility not to be stupid. Most devs do their absolute best not to damage your phone, but we all make mistakes, right? Don't blindly flash everything that anyone posts. Do a little research, ask in the thread if you're unsure, and by all means, follow the damn directions. This will help your Android experience immensely.
  • Hboot is not clockwork recovery. You shouldn't be flashing anything there that isn't a kernel or recovery image. Period. If you download a PH98IMG.zip and it contains anything besides boot.img or recovery.img, you better be asking why BEFORE you flash it. Also, it's a good idea to make sure android-info.txt contains the correct mainver.
  • Know what you are flashing. If someone has a developer tag, there's a good chance they have at least a decent grasp on what they are doing. If someone with 9 posts says he created the greatest ROM of all time, you better be skeptical. Maybe he did, but just be aware of what you are getting into and double and triple check.
  • If you do manage to screw it up somewhere, keep your cool. Search the threads first, as you probably aren't the first, nor will you be the last. If it was a ROM/kernel/whatever, post your issue/concern in that thread first and wait patiently for a response. If you don't get one, PM the developer and again, wait patiently. We have lives, and being without your phone isn't the end of the world. If it is, you should look at your priorities. :)
Again, this is just my opinion on what I'm seeing here. I don't even develop for the Rezound anymore, but I hate to see so many people having such bad experiences.
  • 14 Likes
Samsung Galaxy Nexus <-- HTC Rezound <-- HTC Thunderbolt

Like my Work? Donate

nitsuj17

nitsuj17

Super 1337 Kanger

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:41 AM #2

well said!
  • 0 Likes

Marcismo55

Marcismo55

Idratherberiding

• 269 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:44 AM #3

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this up. Coming from an HTC Incredible and having S-OFF has spoiled myself (as well as many other users) who are not familiar with only being unlocked.

This is probably one of the most important items you touched.

3. If you do manage to screw it up somewhere, keep your cool. Search the threads first, as you probably aren't the first, nor will you be the last. If it was a ROM/kernel/whatever, post your issue/concern in that thread first and wait patiently for a response. If you don't get one, PM the developer and again, wait patiently. We have lives, and being without your phone isn't the end of the world. If it is, you should look at your priorities.

I've seen too many items posted on the same exact subject due to users not searching for answers first when they likely could have avoided issues by researching prior to flashing.
  • 0 Likes
HTC One(current)
Retired
Samsung Galaxy SIII>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>HTC Rezound>HTC Incredible

superchilpil

superchilpil

Not an 4DM1N. Ever.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:03 AM #4

I do disagree with not using the script that pushes the kernel to the sdcard and reboots to bootloader, its pretty simple and pretty usefull

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes
Want to upgrade or downgrade your Rezound firmware? Look HERE

jeff0r3

jeff0r3

Android Apprentice

• 34 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:15 AM #5

I do agree with a lot of this. I also disagree with some of this.. I think each of the Rezound Devs are doing an OUTSTANDING job. I'm aware each time that I flash a Rom that I am taking a chance. Noone is forcing me to do this. I just want to defend what the rezound Developers are doing. I like this community and am really enjoying the Developers. You could always trade that nexus with your brother Eris and come back..

Edited by jeff0r3, 02 February 2012 - 10:31 AM.

• 0 Likes

Holland0813

Holland0813

Android Beginner

• 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:08 AM #6

Nobody is attacking the developers, at all. You're all doing a wonderful job. I'm flash crazy. I'm that guy. I like to have issues so I can learn from my mistakes.

That being said. I know people that really don't understand what they're even doing to their phone. I know, I know... That's their decision. We're supposed to be here to help each other out. We have been spoiled with previous phones and, for now, we aren't. Luckily, I know a guy.

I love this phone and the work that people are doing on it. Keep it up.

Sent from erishasnobattery's Rezound.
  • 0 Likes

chillerman

chillerman

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:17 PM #7

It would appear that Bamf's own dsb9938 is one of the worst offenders of which you speak. Hopefully you have run this by him.
  • 0 Likes

superchilpil

superchilpil

Not an 4DM1N. Ever.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:50 PM #8

It would appear that Bamf's own dsb9938 is one of the worst offenders of which you speak. Hopefully you have run this by him.

If you read his op it states that it will update it.
And as eris said users should be more careful in those situations and pay attention
It's as much their fault as his, so quit pointing fingers and move on

• 0 Likes
Want to upgrade or downgrade your Rezound firmware? Look HERE

chillerman

chillerman

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:04 PM #9

If you read his op it states that it will update it.
And as eris said users should be more careful in those situations and pay attention
It's as much their fault as his, so quit pointing fingers and move on

Not pointing fingers, pointing out a fact. This began over a month ago and there was no mention of updating the mainver and not being able to flash back.
  • 0 Likes

cbaird7

cbaird7

Android Beginner

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:22 PM #10

Omg lol u funny

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on AOKP using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes