Optional:: Custom Settings

Requires Root:: Yes

Optional:: Insecure Boot

Android Version:: 4.1.1 (JB)

Source:: https://github.com/VanirAOSP/PopcornKernel-Tuna/commits/jb
PopcornKernel for the Galaxy Nexus
For Jellybean
ROMs

The philosophy of this kernel is to combine a stable, snappy (real-use wise, not benchmarks) kernel with great battery life. I feel that I have achieved the best balance of these in PopcornKernel.

Now on to the goodies!

Features:
  • Optimized for Size
  • Lots of debugging disabled
  • Gallimaufry governor (modded ondemand, 2-stage ondemand plus speed tweaks)
  • Aggressive governor(modded conservative, lots of tweaks to increase snappiness while saving power)
  • NoHz
  • SLQB
  • TUN
  • Disabled fsync
  • Swap support
  • CFQ, Deadline, and noop i/o schedulers
  • PegasusQ Governor from Samsung
  • Screen-off hotplugging added to AgressiveX, GallimaufryX, and InteractiveX governors (imoseyon)
  • ARM RWSEM Algorithm
  • Battery Life Extender - Ezekeel
  • Color Control - Ezekeel and supercurio
  • Fast Charge - Chad0989
  • TempControl - Imoseyon and Ezekeel
  • GPU OC Control - Imoseyon (modified by me)
  • SoundControl - Greg White and Ezekeel
  • Wifi Screen-Off Power Management - Francisco Franco
v11.8.2
Download:
http://www.emccann.n.../PopcornKernel/

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Changelog:[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Linux 3.0.50[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Lots of new tweaks and optimizations[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Interactive is now the default governor to take advantage of Jellybean's boostpulse feature[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]BFQ v5 - also default now[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]The audio crackling should be fixed[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I also enabled high perf sound by default - I notice little to no additional battery drain[/background]

Tweaks:
See HERE for all the tweaks and how to use them.

ON REPORTING BUGS:
Please provide me with:
  1. a detailed description of the bug
  2. when the bug occured
  3. a way of reproducing it, if possible
  4. Your ROM and ROM version
  5. Kernel version, frequencies, and governor (along with any other relevant settings)
  6. logcat, dmesg or /proc/last_kmsg, whichever is applicable
NOTE: I will not look at bugs if they do not include the above, you must also be on a stable version of your rom (no alphas or betas) and you must not have any SetCPU profiles active.

Enjoy!

Directions:
  1. Download .zip
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. Flash .zip in recovery
  4. Reboot
I am not responsible for anything that might happen to your device.
And no, your device will not magically make popcorn now, unfortunately.

Credits:

BIG thanks to OhHeyItsLou who helped me get started building kernels, as well as IMoseyOn, Jdkoreclipse, Jakeday, and Ezekeel, who have all helped me learn a lot
Mathkid95 for being a cool kid

DroidVicious for the name

Source: https://github.com/s...cornkernel-Tuna

I put a lot of time and effort into providing you with this, so I encourage you to show your appreciation by pressing the thanks button, leaving a comment, and (if you're really nice) donating.

Donate

PLEASE LEAVE ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS BELOW

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
hmmm.... did only he need it? because I know he provides a boot.img which is a ramdisk (so he can do stuff like swap, init.d, etc)+ zImage. I only give the zImage so i don't think I need that. You can try making a nandroid and then try flashing this, and I will ask imoseyon about it.

And yup, I was right! according to Imoseyon, I don't need the fix because the way I do it, it just uses the existing ramdisk from your rom. You are safe to flash this.

#10 ·
OK, so this is my first kernel EVER. As in my first time building a kernel and my first time looking at kernel source (and my first time using GitHub).
So please no harsh, unwarranted criticisms.
Welcome to kernel dev and good job on your first kernel! I'm glad more people are showing an interest! If you have any questions, I'm always happy to help out if needed.

#13 ·
For anyone who thinks that this is just the work of another noob, and that the kernel is featureless, think again! As of the latest nightly, I have joined team vicious and have been collaborating on the kernel with sonic for days. As you will see (if you are using the oc version), you will notice 2 things: the zip is named wrong (typical of me), and that my name is in the kernel version (jdkoreclipse@buildbox #2). So yeah, I had a big hand in bringing a lot of the features that all of the features that jdkernel users have come to know and love since the thunderbolt days into this very promising kernel!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#24 ·
we don't implement C-states like ezekeel does - we just have normal undervolting. However, the kernel is not undervolted by default, but you can easily do this with a program like SetCpu or NSTools

#20 ·
In nightlies #4 and #5, you say you added hotplugging to 3 governors. Does this mean CPU1 comes online and goes offline while the screen is both on and off (like the original hotplug governor), or only while the screen is off (like IMoseyOn's InteractiveX and ConservativeX governors)?

#23 ·
We are using imosey's code for hotplugging in conservative and interactive govs. In on demand, we are using a version that was adapted to the odemand by me (basically the same code as imosey's). We will probably clean up said code a little in the future

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#21 ·
Wow really surprised, kernel feels great. Flashed over stock 4.0.4 and is smooth as butter.

I was impressed with stock kernel but am still testing all kernels. Feels great so far.

Only had on for about hour so can't speak on battery or such rite now.

Best off boot feel of any kernel I can remember. Smooth out of the gate.

#32 ·
Thanks! And right now we're trying to fix the battery drain issues (and we might have already but we still need to test it) then we will look at adding other features

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.