[MOD] VoiceDialer.apk bluetooth volume issue for android 4.0.3

Android 4.0.3 AOKP bluetooth Voice Dial
  • Please log in to reply

OP fordpref

fordpref

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:19 PM #1

Can't hear the prompt in the voice dialer while on bluetooth in Android 4.0.3? Me either. There is a section of code where the developers list out that the prompt, when set on maximum volume was too loud, so they devised a formula to drop it down to a max of 18dB.

All I did was remove the formula to set the volume to whatever the user has their bluetooth set to and now the volume pumps out at the same volume as people talking to you...at least on my headset with my hearing.

This has only been tested on Android 4.0.3, on AOKP build 19, and only on my phone thus far. Theoretically, because it was just one line that was modified, it should work on any 4.0.3 phone/ROM as long as the VoiceDialer app was not modified by someone else. If it was you will lose those changes.

WARNING - DISCLAIMER - I am less than a script kiddie here. A blind mouse if you will. I am not responsible for any problems this may cause you, your family, your co-workers, your phone, or any other issues perceived or real. NOOBs know more about this stuff than me.

You can flash the zip file below in recovery and it will replace the VoiceDialer.apk in the /system/app directory. I highly recommend you make a backup of that file before you do this so that if you have other voice dialer or bluetooth issues you can go back to not hearing the thing.

If you do have issues, try going into settings, apps, all, VoiceDialer and clearing cache and force stopping. The app by itself without the slight adjustment here just behaves buggy to me...but your mileage may vary.

http://dl.dropbox.co...aler-volume.zip

At a later time I may adjust the wait times and see what else I can find.

Check out Roman's AOKP page for a great ROM, and Zaphod's mod for the landscape in call screen....These guys are doing really great things.....

http://rootzwiki.com...uild-21-jan-26/

http://rootzwiki.com...to-home-screen/

UPDATE 2012.02.04: Flashed AOKP M3, Zaphod's phone.apk, and a few other things along with this and it works on my phone. Emphasis on MY PHONE. If you update to AOKP M3 I you will have to reflash this app, but you shouldn't have any problems.

UPDATE 2012.05.10: Have been using it with AOKP B34, M5, and probably this weekend on B35. It seems to work fine with 4.0.4. I have been playing with customizing the voice and text prompts, but not updating the app yet. When I can get a settings screen and work on a couple of other things with the app I will post it here, then you can customize the text and voice strings yourselves...but no guarantees I ever get that done though...

Edited by fordpref, 10 May 2012 - 10:16 AM.

• 2 Likes

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Zaphod-Beeblebrox

Just an older, more bitter version of Roman

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:05 AM #2

Bump for a good friend of mine.

What this Mod basically does is bump the volume of the Text To Speech voice in the VoiceDialer app. If you are like me, you can barely hear it when on Bluetooth (the engineers capped the volume for some reason).
  • 0 Likes
Trolls are not Winners. But some Winners are indeed trolls.

JCP SR

JCP SR

Average Android

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:58 PM #3

Worked for me thank you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

BeckPC

BeckPC

• 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:01 PM #4

Hmm... I'm running the Android Revolution 2.1.5. After installing this, the voicedialer was missing from my program list. It's still in the system/app folder, but it won't run. "Problem parsing this file"

Had to reinstall the rom to restore it back.
  • 0 Likes

BeckPC

BeckPC

• 47 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:31 AM #5

Too bad it didn't work for me. I really need that feature to be fixed. It's way too low in volume unless you're sitting still and silent.
  • 0 Likes

Lchupacabras

Lchupacabras

Android Beginner

• 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:25 AM #6

Too bad it didn't work for me. I really need that feature to be fixed. It's way too low in volume unless you're sitting still and silent.

That ROM is 4.0.2; this MOD is for 4.0.3 ROMs, hence why it's not working.
  • 0 Likes

OP fordpref

fordpref

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:47 AM #7

BeckPC, I don't know anything about the Android Revolution ROMs. It could be that they already made modifications to it and replacing it with this one won't work. You may want to ask them about it. From what I could tell in AOKP, nothing in this App had been changed from the original source, but that may be original source for 4.03 only. Unfortunately, if one of the ROMs does make changes to the VoiceDialer App, then it is highly likely this mod will break voice dialing and maybe even bluetooth on your phone until you fix it. I have a friend working on AOKP so I am kind of relying on him to let me know if they do make changes to it.

The change is REALLY simple, and if you ask Android Revolution, they might make it for you in their next build.

If all you really need is louder bluetooth overall, then this mod won't do that for you. There are some market apps that will do that. All this does is increase the voice prompt in the 4.0.3 default VoiceDialer app...it won't change the volume of your call or anything else.
  • 0 Likes

BeckPC

BeckPC

• 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:47 AM #8

DUH.... sorry. All these numbers are starting to look alike after a while. You're right. It is 4.0.2. I was so excited to see a post that referred to my EXACT PROBLEM that I was blinded. I know he's waiting for the final code before working on that version. He likes stock, but hope he'd be willing to fix this. It's an insane idea to limit volume on ANY device due to the variances in surroundings, especially on a device that isn't known for it's volume.

I only wish that there were some app to confirm via voice that it selected the right person to call. I miss ChoiceDialer on the ICS platform. A simple Yes or No response is needed.

My BT is loud enough with the Volume+ app. It's only the 'SPEAK NOW' prompts that are impossible to hear if you're doing anything more than breathing. I appreciate the engineers for looking out for our well being, but ... someone didn't test that one in a moving vehicle.

I'm going to post in the other thread and refer back to this one. Perhaps you could get with the developer and tell him what you did to fix that little audio 'boo-boo'.
  • 0 Likes

OP fordpref

fordpref

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:29 AM #9

BeckPC,
No worries. I did this out of necessity, but I normally use Vlingo. I am really just waiting for Vlingo to be fully and properly functional on bluetooth for ICS. It has several issues right now. Vlingo gives you several options on the autodial or just finds what you want and lets you manually pick. The autodial shows a screen with the contact you want to dial and the number, and waits for about 10 seconds with a countdown before it dials. The voice dialer with ICS does not pass the number to the in call screen. If I had the time, I would be working on a number of things with the voice dialer to make it more functional...but I don't and I keep hoping vlingo will be updated soon.
  • 0 Likes

roman

roman

7zip Hero

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:30 PM #10

Just wanna make sure I'm doing this correctly via source --

int volume = maxVolume - ((18 / (50/maxVolume)) + 1);

int volume = maxVolume - (50/maxVolume) + 1;

does that look like what you did?
  • 0 Likes