Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Question about recovery mode

• Please log in to reply

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:46 AM #1

Background for context: had some issues with a phone/sim card/activation/custom rom situation recently that forced me to return to stock in order to get a full reactivation (was initially only getting 4g service and no voice/text). That took care of the activation issue, but in returning to my nandroid via rerooting, then flashing CWR in Rom Manager, I forgot to do the step that permanently sets CWR as your recovery. The backup was acting buggy (lag and random reboots), so I decided to wipe data/cache and do a clean reinstall of the rom/kernel/mods that I had going. For whatever reason, the phone started bootlooping. It would not respond to holding down power/vol up and power/vol down would take me into ODIN mode where I eventually remembered that I had to flash a specific image to it in order to return it to stock again.

So here's where I get to my question (sorry for taking forever). After I got the phone back to stock and rerooted, I tried to go and permanently set CWR as my recovery. I went to go change the recovery.sh file in my system/etc folder and the file isn't there. The phone will still not recognize the power/vol up in order to get into any recovery from a powered off state (it will just normally boot up the phone as if I was just holding power down). How do I fix that? I can still access custom recoveries while in android proper (from either the power menu, the touchscreen CWR app, or Rom Manager), but I also want to be able to do it from a powered down state (i.e. a battery pull if needed), in case I have any bootloops or other issues in the future.

I know that's alot to read, so I thank anyone for the their help in advance.
  • 0 Likes
"Let's get down to brass tacks, here. How much for the ape?"

rice247

rice247

• 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:51 AM #2

Can you get into fastboot mode then recovery from there? (Hold volume up, volume down and power)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:30 PM #3

That seemed to work. Thanks.

I wasn't just imaging/lunching on the power/vol up thing, was I? I could've sworn that's how you directly boot into the recovery, bypassing the bootloader.
  • 0 Likes
"Let's get down to brass tacks, here. How much for the ape?"