1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Just ordered this sexy/cheap cradle **UPDATED w/Pics and Review!

gnex galaxy nexus dock cradle
  • Please log in to reply

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:47 PM #1

Okay, I got this cradle in. Here's the initial quick review. This unit is going to be used on my desk at work.

Pros:
  • This thing really looks nice! The pictures make it look like a bright silver but it's more of a dark silver. If you know much about colors then you probably know that there are blue-based and black-based silvers. This is most certainly a black-based silver.
  • It works! The phone sits snugly in there so you don't have to worry about it falling out or anything (even if you hold it upside down!)
  • It only cost $12 shipped on eBay.
  • This has a very small footprint so you won't have to use up much space on your desk for this.
  • These photos are with the extended battery and cover on the phone, so it's compatible with the stock or extended battery.
  • I expect this will work with the GSM version as well. The bag mine came in was clearly labelled I9250 so I could be wrong on this point, but the auction lists both the i515 and the i9250.
Cons:
  • There is absolutely no way you can get a case in this thing.
  • No way to charge a spare battery with this cradle. That's always been a nice feature of some desktop cradles but not this one.
  • Took ~3 weeks to ship from China.
  • No spare cables or AC adapters or anything came with it. It was very bare bones.
  • Does not work with an MHL adapter. Apparently this is missing some of the required additional pins to support it.
A few photos (more can be found in this post):
20120131094435.jpg
20120131094455.jpg
20120131094509.jpg

p.s. Sorry about the crazy jpg compression. Was trying to get the files to be incredibly small. If you want a better photo, please DM me with an email address and I'll send you the originals.
p.s. #2: The white skin on my phone is from here.

Original Post

Edited by Jaxidian, 28 February 2012 - 02:01 PM.
Photos/Review added!

• 2 Likes

Snow02

Snow02

Android Lover

• 1,260 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:52 PM #2

Plugging the mhl adapter into the dock may not work. Some docks don't have all the pins connected.

Otherwise, decent looking pickup.

Edited by Snow02, 13 January 2012 - 01:53 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:01 PM #3

Plugging the mhl adapter into the dock may not work. Some docks don't have all the pins connected.

Otherwise, decent looking pickup.

Yeah, that's why I just got one before I buy more. I need a power-only (data would be nice but not important enough for me to care much) cradle for my desk at work so I'll try it out with my MHL adapter at home first. But thanks for the heads up! I'll let people know how good it is once I get it, which is estimated for sometime in Feb.
  • 0 Likes

jhankg

jhankg

Android Lover

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:14 PM #4

Good find!
  • 0 Likes
Please stop begging for "Thanks" in your signatures. It is annoying.

T-Keith

T-Keith

Android Beginner

• 180 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:57 PM #5

I saw this today, thought about buying it, but saw it was coming from china and I was in the process of designing my own. I really need a car dock more, my car has no where to put a phone. The other day I had my nexus sitting on the seat next to me, I picked up a bag off the seat and my phone fell on the blacktop. Got a couple of nice chunks out of the back.

Let us know how this works and if you could try it with a case that would be great.
  • 0 Likes

pjd2011

pjd2011

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:18 PM #6

I saw this today, thought about buying it, but saw it was coming from china and I was in the process of designing my own. I really need a car dock more, my car has no where to put a phone. The other day I had my nexus sitting on the seat next to me, I picked up a bag off the seat and my phone fell on the blacktop. Got a couple of nice chunks out of the back.

Let us know how this works and if you could try it with a case that would be great.

Check out ProClip. Expensive but best docks for the car by a long shot. The 2 amp charger is nice being able to charge and no dangling wires.
  • 0 Likes
Verizon Galaxy Nexus - Latest AOKP Build - Leankernel - Custom Undervolt
HP Touchpad 32gb - AOKP Build 24 - OC 1.5 ghz

Droid Incredible - Cyanogen 7.2 - Lucid Theme - Chad's Kernel - OC 1.13ghz - Undervolted

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:50 AM #7

Just got this in. It looks very nice. I'll try to get pics up tonight. So far, all I've done is put my phone in it and it appears to charge. Only had it ~5 minutes so far. It even has a pretty blue light in it so you know it's charged in (it doesn't change colors while charging or anything though - is just for "sexy technology look" purposes.

At this point, aside from it being very nice looking, my only other comments are:
1. The phone fits very snugly into it with a carbon fiber skin on. It's probably a bit less snug without the skin but there is absolutely no way you can get your phone in there with any kind of case on. 0 chance.
2. The angle that the phone is held up at is just barely sloped. I find myself wishing it was sloped a bit more so it was angled upwards rather than straight forward. There is a slant there but just barely. If I get one of these for a night stand and for on top of my A/V rack (if MHL works via it - I'll test this later), then the slope will be perfect for there but the primary reason I bought this was for my desk at work and for that, the slope isn't ideal.

I saw this today, thought about buying it, but saw it was coming from china and I was in the process of designing my own. I really need a car dock more, my car has no where to put a phone.

See my points above. The tight fit might make this a viable option to be part of your car dock that you're working on building. However, there's no way you can get a case in there - no way at all unless the case doesn't cover anything on the bottom of the phone, at which point, it'd be a pretty dumb case. :-P
  • 0 Likes

Artimis

Artimis

Android Power User

• 109 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:35 PM #8

Just got this in. It looks very nice. I'll try to get pics up tonight. So far, all I've done is put my phone in it and it appears to charge. Only had it ~5 minutes so far. It even has a pretty blue light in it so you know it's charged in (it doesn't change colors while charging or anything though - is just for "sexy technology look" purposes.

At this point, aside from it being very nice looking, my only other comments are:
1. The phone fits very snugly into it with a carbon fiber skin on. It's probably a bit less snug without the skin but there is absolutely no way you can get your phone in there with any kind of case on. 0 chance.
2. The angle that the phone is held up at is just barely sloped. I find myself wishing it was sloped a bit more so it was angled upwards rather than straight forward. There is a slant there but just barely. If I get one of these for a night stand and for on top of my A/V rack (if MHL works via it - I'll test this later), then the slope will be perfect for there but the primary reason I bought this was for my desk at work and for that, the slope isn't ideal.

See my points above. The tight fit might make this a viable option to be part of your car dock that you're working on building. However, there's no way you can get a case in there - no way at all unless the case doesn't cover anything on the bottom of the phone, at which point, it'd be a pretty dumb case. :-P

I'd be very interested to know if MHL works with this. Keep us posted!

Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:54 PM #9

More photos...

IMG_20120131_094133.jpg
IMG_20120131_094212.jpg
IMG_20120131_094235.jpg
IMG_20120131_094249.jpg
IMG_20120131_094303.jpg
IMG_20120131_094323.jpg
  • 1 Likes

NatemZ

NatemZ

Kitten Punter

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:23 PM #10

Looks cool Jax. I need a freakin dock but don't want to have to de-case it every night. Why can't someone make one that fits with a case?
  • 0 Likes