If you're into theming, you may have replaced Roboto-Regular with a different font, but noticed that Gingerbread-friendly font packs that replace Roboto-Bold.ttf usually cause ICS/JB to bootloop. Tools like Font Installer and FontChanger are cool (props to the devs) but kind of a drag because they don't replace the Bold/Italic/Bold Italic versions of the fonts. The reason is because ICS/JB pays attention to the font metadata in ways that Gingerbread does not, and many fonts don't have the correct weight/classification/family metadata.
To make a working font pack you must edit the metadata of the Bold, Italic and Bold-Italic fonts themselves to reflect their proper weight and design. Note: these instructions are for making font packs for AOSP builds of ICS/JB. These are not for MIUI!
Disclaimer: follow these instructions and use my font packs at your own risk! I've tested them myself, but I cannot be held responsible for anything that happens as a result of following these instructions or flashing my font packs!
I suppose you could use a different app, but I used FontCreator 6.0 Pro, so this guide is for FC6P. Updated 2012-07-11
- If the font is not in TTF format, convert the font to TTF first. Make sure each glyph maintains its title, or else you'll have strange ligature issues (i.e. "gm" will turn into "`"). I find that FontCreator is not great at converting formats, so google a different tool.
- Then open the TrueType-format font (which will end in .ttf) in FontCreator.
- Go to Format > Settings.
- Under the Classification tab, make sure the weight is correct (Normal (Regular) for Regular and Italic, Bold for Bold and Bold Italic).
- Make sure the Font Design (Windows) and Mac Style are correct (Regular for Regular, Bold for Bold, Italic for Italic, Bold AND Italic for Bold Italic).
- Click OK.
- Go to Format > Naming.
- Make sure all the fonts you want to use use the same Font Family ("Roboto" in the case of Roboto, etc).
- Make sure Full Font Name and Postscript Name are correct ("Roboto Regular" for Roboto Regular, etc., "Roboto-Regular" etc. for Postscript Name)
- Click OK.
- PRO TIP: While you're here, clear out the glyph for .notdef. It's ugly and will show up in your launcher and potentially other places if the name of your homescreen item gets abbreviated.
- Save the font.
- Once you've done the above for each font, add the fonts to a folder called "fonts" and put that inside a folder called "system".
- Put the "system" folder in the same folder as your META-INF folder (use an updater-script made for ICS).
- Zip up the META-INF and system folders into a normal ZIP file.
- Flash the zip using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.
- Be baller.
FontPack-ICS-NokiaPure-ThugEsquire.zip (doesn't work in JB)
If you like this, hit Thanks!
Edited by ThugEsquire, 29 August 2012 - 11:57 AM.