Android OS Forum banner

[INC2][GUIDE] Gain S-OFF and Root the HTC Incredible 2 (works on 2.3.4)

144K views 115 replies 36 participants last post by  jt11 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to Gain S-OFF on the HTC Droid Incredible 2
After you have S-OFF, you can root it, or install a custom rom, like CyanogenMod 9

DISCLAIMER:
This process will void the worthless warranty on your Incredible 2. If you read all the steps first before doing this, then do it following every step very carefully, I can guarantee you that your phone will be just fine. I recommend doing this in Linux, because it works best that way, but it can be done in Windows... it's just harder and there is a greater chance you will run into problems.

Before you begin
  • If you have used the HTC unlock tool, you need to relock first.
  • Turn on USB Debugging in under Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging
Linux Users:
  • Install the ia32-libs package. If you are on Ubuntu or Debian, type this in the terminal:
  • Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Windows users: (using windows is not recommended!)1. Downgrade hboot with attn1's script
This step is only necessary if you are on Android version 2.3.4. If you are on 2.3.3 skip this step.
To check what version of Android you are on, go to Settings > About Phone.

UPDATE: There was a software update that broke zergRush recently. If you run into problems in this step, take a peek at this post:
http://rootzwiki.com..._60#entry691054

WARNING! This will preform a complete wipe of your phone except for the SD Card!
a. Turn off fastboot. (Settings > Power > Fastboot)
b. Download attn1's tool: http://tau.shadowchi...-12102011-c.zip
c. Extract it to a folder and plug in your phone.
d. Run his tool. Make sure to run it as an administrator or as root.
WARNING! Do not unplug your phone till the tool has finished!
d. After it has finished, verify that everything was wiped and you are running 2.3.3.
e. Turn off your phone. Turn it back on while holding volume down. It should bring you to the bootloader.
If your phone still has ***LOCKED*** written at the top it did not work. Do not proceed.
Otherwise press volume down, then the power button to reboot.

2. Gain S-OFF
WARNING! This will void your warranty... but, it's not yours till you void the warranty.

a. Download revolutionary from http://revolutionary.io
b. Run revolutionary. It should do all the work for you. Just get a beta key on the website.
c. Revolutionary should ask you if you want to flash ClockworkMod when it's done. Say yes if you want it. (your going to want it!)

3. Installing CyanogenMod 10
a. Download CyanogenMod 10 from here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30370-unofficial-cm10-for-the-inc2-2012-07-30/
b. Download Google Apps from here (get the latest one listed for JB): http://goo-inside.me/gapps
c. Copy the 2 zip files to your SD card.
d. Boot into recovery (Volume Down + Power while turning on... select recovery in hboot)
e. Select wipe data/factory reset. Scroll all the way down to Yes.
f. Then select install zip from sd card > choose zip from sd card.
g. Select your CyanogenMod zip and then press yes.
h. Select your gapps zip and choose yes.
i. Select ++Go Back++ then reboot system now.
CONGRADULATIONS!

Troubleshooting
IF: You have any driver troubles at all or fastboot driver troubles,
THEN: Do it in linux.
this guide works best in linux, but it also works in windows.

IF: You are stuck on the cyanogenmod screen after flashing CM,
THEN: You forgot to factory reset. Factory reset, then flash CM and Gapps again.

IF: You did not flash clockworkmod, but you wanted to,
THEN: Flash via fastboot. I made a post about this on page 4.

Thanks to attn1, he made the tool to downgrade to 2.3.3 from 2.3.4. Here is the thread for the tool:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1298990

And one last warning to all Incredible 2 users: DO NOT USE THE HTC TOOL TO UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER!
If you did: Relock before doing these steps. This may help you: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1343114

See less See more
#2 ·
This thread has confused me, you say you got it when it was on Froyo, and since your mom is on Gingerbread.... but the Revolutionary S-Off tool says "HTC Droid Incredible 2 (vivow) 0.97.0000 (Gingerbread only!)"..... Gingerbread only. Seems like this should work for the most current updated Incredible 2 at first glance to me, is this not correct?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
So if this device was unlocked with the HTC Dev site previously, I should re-lock it first???

...Nevermind, I confirmed for myself. I relocked the bootloader just now, but hey... what the heck do I run exactly in attn's zip? there is a shell script and another file in there that can be run through command prompt, then there is zergrush which is just showing up as a 'File'

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
well i found my first problem, i had a bad download. it was completely different from the correct one, so idk what was up with that. Now my problem is that when i get to the fastboot rebootRUU it just says waiting for device on both the script and when i manually copy and paste from the original post. I read that this probably means that fastboot isnt working, but i believe it is working, i added it to the path

#34 ·
Wizkid pmed me saying he could not get into recovery, he just got a yellow triangle. If this helps anyone, here is what I pmed him back.
You need to flash clockworkmod recovery. You can flash it in the bootloader by running this command.

Code:
<br />
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-vivow.img<br />
Where recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-vivow.img is the recovery image for clockwork mod on the Incredible 2. You can obtain the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-vivow.img at http://download.cloc...0.2.0-vivow.img

If you need any more help, post in the panic room if you are soft bricked or bricked.
In windows, the drivers for fastboot may be different. If it does not work, do it in linux.

#36 ·
FWIW I couldn't get the downgrade script to work until I reset the phone to factory. Just kept failing half way in, when it rebooted it never pushed anything to the phone even though I had USB debugging on and fastboot off. Just my 2 cents for anyone who runs into a similar problem.

#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've tried running (both as administrator and normally) the attn1 tool but nothing is happening. It just quickly opens and closes the cmd terminally and nothing happens. What do I do?

**EDIT**

so I got it to run, but now the script isn't working. It just sticks at a black screen with "htc" sitting on it. What do I do now?

#49 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm seriously going to huck this phone into a sewer. Been sitting here for too long trying to get this to work.

I ran the script after getting ADB working, apparently my computer doesn't recognize the sleep command? Whatever, I think. Tried to do it manually, ran into a permission denied error on the '
2.18.605.3' step. Whatever, I think. Maybe running the script again will help? Nope, now it doesn't even work on the first step, saying "No such file or directory". All of this crap sandwiched between countless reboots of phone and computer, battery pulls, uninstall/reinstalls, etc. Any ideas, anyone? Would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing this for a friend.​

EDIT: Never mind, got 'er done. Honestly don't remember much what I did. Lol...

#52 ·
Question... my wife has had an inc2 for about a year now, which is probably how long the warranty is, so i'm not worried about that at all. If I just used the HTC Dev site to gain s-off how far would that get me in the process? Would I just need to run revolutionary at that point to install recovery then flash su?

#54 ·
So I just received a replacement device yesterday.
I rooted my old phone a couple of months ago and had to do this downgrade then and everything worked fine.

Now, however, it won't work. I run the script as admin in cmd and everything seems to go fine until it tries to flash the old RUU. Here's what I get.

C:\adb>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_
1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
sending 'zip' (292817 KB)... OKAY [ 51.352s]
writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
INFOchecking model ID...
INFOchecking custom ID...
[background=yellow]INFOchecking main version...
FAILED (remote: 43 main version check fail)[/background]

finished. total time: 96.329s

C:\adb>fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total time: 0.194s
C:\adb>

I highlighted what I think is the problem. It reboots but is still on 2.3.4
I thought it might be a bad download so I redownloaded, checked the md5, and tried it again. no luck.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated

#55 ·
Hmmm... looks like the misc_version did not change. Pop open the script in a text editor and copy/paste each command into a terminal after you cd to the directory of the script. I'm specifically looking for the output of these 2 commands:

adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.