Rate this Topic

20 votes

[KERNEL][27 MAR] GLaDOS V2.3 for JB 4.2.2

• Please log in to reply

inffy

inffy

G33kY

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:22 PM #61

Took your advice and tried lower OCs. Found that the sweet spot for my device is G115+I125. Thanks a lot, kernel is amazing where others slug by. All standard apps, gapps, slide by like butter. Any lag experienced most likely due to third party apps and ics compatability. Excellent.

Same kernel version is fine for me. Can't go any higher, or even lower values didn't even boot, which is kinda strange :P
  • 0 Likes

3c71

3c71

Android Beginner

• 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:06 AM #62

Tried 115% and 125%, none of them boot. Lost 20% of battery try both! :)

On a side note:

Why remove the user-control through SetCPU and the likes? Now we have to flash a new kernel each time we want to try a different max frequency?

What's the point of the battery saver? Very few phone provide a real 100% (the full capacity is reached only after fully charging that last 1%! I had a HTC Sensation which was doing that and I kept loosing battery capacity over time! Not to mention the small discharge/charge cycles that were taking place between 9x% and 100% killing the battery in the first place: batteries have a limited number of charge cycles).

I wanted to try this C4 state, but bad luck I suppose.

Agreed that setting lowest frequency on standby can be counter-productive: anything running while in standby (sync as one) will keep the phone awake much longer, consuming much more than without reducing frequency! Though measuring the real effect is still to be done: recording CPU activity and awake time would help. Did it in the past and always came to the same conclusion: on dual cores lowering max frequency does the trick, but on single core it's best not to use the lowest frequency but a little higher than the lowest.
  • 0 Likes
[ Android Phones ] Galaxy Nexus & Galaxy S2
[ Android Tablets ] Iconia A500 & Transformer
[ Apps ] System Tuner Pro & Battery Monitor Widget Pro
[ Web ] 3c

kurtnilsen

kurtnilsen

• 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:22 AM #63

running 15 % on both now... the 20 % had depleted my phone battery over night... about 5-6 hours
  • 0 Likes

bloodmoney

bloodmoney

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:54 AM #64

Just want to share the observation that on v1.0 I was able to boot and use 120-120 just fine despite battery drainage. What has since changed must have to do with the drainage tweaks in 1.1
  • 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Your trusted friend in science

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:17 AM #65

Tried 115% and 125%, none of them boot. Lost 20% of battery try both! :)

On a side note:

Why remove the user-control through SetCPU and the likes? Now we have to flash a new kernel each time we want to try a different max frequency?

What's the point of the battery saver? Very few phone provide a real 100% (the full capacity is reached only after fully charging that last 1%! I had a HTC Sensation which was doing that and I kept loosing battery capacity over time! Not to mention the small discharge/charge cycles that were taking place between 9x% and 100% killing the battery in the first place: batteries have a limited number of charge cycles).

I wanted to try this C4 state, but bad luck I suppose.

Agreed that setting lowest frequency on standby can be counter-productive: anything running while in standby (sync as one) will keep the phone awake much longer, consuming much more than without reducing frequency! Though measuring the real effect is still to be done: recording CPU activity and awake time would help. Did it in the past and always came to the same conclusion: on dual cores lowering max frequency does the trick, but on single core it's best not to use the lowest frequency but a little higher than the lowest.

Try a lower OC. The point of BLX is to increase battery life.

Just want to share the observation that on v1.0 I was able to boot and use 120-120 just fine despite battery drainage. What has since changed must have to do with the drainage tweaks in 1.1

Your device cannot handle 120-120. V1.0 was broken.
  • 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:23 AM #66

I have released GLaDOS V1.3 which fixes the problem of the frequency not getting set to maximum on boot and a bugfix for Live OC.
  • 1 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:07 PM #67

I have a brand-new kernel for your testing pleasure.

It implements my latest creation, the Wheatley CPUfreq governor which has the potential to give a significant better battery life during demanding tasks like games or video playback.

Download (-G100-I100 flavor): http://www.multiupload.com/OXF3DN3958
  • 1 Likes

joshnichols189

joshnichols189

Android Beginner

• 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:36 PM #68

It implements my latest creation, the Wheatley CPUfreq governor which has the potential to give a significant better battery life during demanding tasks like games or video playback.

Downloading now :)
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

inffy

inffy

G33kY

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:55 PM #69

Nice, i'll test this right away.

Is there any "technical specs" for the nyt governor?
  • 0 Likes

dinan

dinan

• 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:44 AM #70

Been testing this for a bit and it idles very well in deep sleep when not in use. For regular use it looks like it operates at max cpu then for video playback and gaming it alternates between max and 350mhz.

• 0 Likes