20 votes

[KERNEL][27 MAR] GLaDOS V2.3 for JB 4.2.2

• Please log in to reply

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Your trusted friend in science

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:43 PM #41

If u are playing music its not idling.

Playing music shouldn't require the phone to run at 1.2ghz. It should be able to play music at 350mhz, thus saving power.

You do not seem to have a proper grasp of how a multitask OS works. Even when tasks are active the device is using the idle states.
  • 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:00 PM #42

I have released GLaDOS V1.1 which fixes the excessive battery drain while in sleep (reduced to about 0.2-0.3% per hour).
  • 1 Likes

BlackRabbits

BlackRabbits

Android Beginner

• 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:14 PM #43

I have released GLaDOS V1.1 which fixes the excessive battery drain while in sleep (reduced to about 0.2-0.3% per hour).

Awesome! Out of curiosity, what was the issue?

PS - Giving the kernel a try! I'll report back with performance / battery results.

Edited by BlackRabbits, 14 January 2012 - 10:59 PM.

• 0 Likes

dwang

dwang

• 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:25 AM #44

You do not seem to have a proper grasp of how a multitask OS works. Even when tasks are active the device is using the idle states.

Sorry I don't mean to keep arguing w you.

What I'm saying is if u fix the CPU speed to 1.2ghz, then you'll be draining more battery when playing music w the screen off because playing music should only require the CPU to be clocked at 350mhz.

So if I listen to music 3 hours a day, it would be more beneficial to allow the CPU to down clock to 350mhz than to keep it at 1.2ghz at all times.

If I'm missing something here please enlighten me.

Edited by dwang, 15 January 2012 - 12:26 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:54 AM #45

Awesome! Out of curiosity, what was the issue?

PS - Giving the kernel a try! I'll report back with performance / battery results.

Removed one feature from the kernel which was needed.

Sorry I don't mean to keep arguing w you.

What I'm saying is if u fix the CPU speed to 1.2ghz, then you'll be draining more battery when playing music w the screen off because playing music should only require the CPU to be clocked at 350mhz.

So if I listen to music 3 hours a day, it would be more beneficial to allow the CPU to down clock to 350mhz than to keep it at 1.2ghz at all times.

If I'm missing something here please enlighten me.

A single CPU core can only execute one command at a time. Multitasking is achieved by rapidly switching between the programs that are currently active which on the time-scale of human-device interaction creates the illusion of these programs running simultaneously. For example when listening to music while browsing the web, the OS will run the music player to fill a buffer with decoded music for the next few ms, then switch to the browser and run the browser for a few ms while playing the music from the pre-decoded buffer and then switch back to the music player once the buffer is exhausted.

If the CPU only has to run a small number of tasks and it has some spare time, it switches to an idle state. There are different idle state implemented for the GN and the lowest one 'C4' saves a lot of power by switching off parts of the processor. So when playing music with screen off, the processor will decode music for a few ms of playback, then switch to the C4 state until the buffer runs dry and more music needs decoding. So even with a background task being active the processor can spend most of the time powered down. And the faster the CPU runs, the faster it can finish the decoding task and switch back to idle. This is called race-to-idle and the reason why the frequency should always be maximum.
  • 0 Likes

dwang

dwang

• 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:26 AM #46

Thanks for being patient w me. I understand now.

Removed one feature from the kernel which was needed.

A single CPU core can only execute one command at a time. Multitasking is achieved by rapidly switching between the programs that are currently active which on the time-scale of human-device interaction creates the illusion of these programs running simultaneously. For example when listening to music while browsing the web, the OS will run the music player to fill a buffer with decoded music for the next few ms, then switch to the browser and run the browser for a few ms while playing the music from the pre-decoded buffer and then switch back to the music player once the buffer is exhausted.

If the CPU only has to run a small number of tasks and it has some spare time, it switches to an idle state. There are different idle state implemented for the GN and the lowest one 'C4' saves a lot of power by switching off parts of the processor. So when playing music with screen off, the processor will decode music for a few ms of playback, then switch to the C4 state until the buffer runs dry and more music needs decoding. So even with a background task being active the processor can spend most of the time powered down. And the faster the CPU runs, the faster it can finish the decoding task and switch back to idle. This is called race-to-idle and the reason why the frequency should always be maximum.

• 0 Likes

inffy

inffy

G33kY

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:32 PM #47

Seems pretty hard to find a stable version (with OC), so much options :P

EDIT: I finally found at least the bottom of what of the OC version works. God damn this is snappy (rom: AOKP b17). Now have to test even the higher OC versions to find the last version that works.

@Ezekeel

Are you planning to include the new FIOPS thingy?

Edited by inffy, 15 January 2012 - 11:58 PM.

• 0 Likes

bloodmoney

bloodmoney

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:03 AM #48

love this kernel, gives a level of smoothness not offered by others. one major issue i do have with the most recent version, using the G120+I125 or G120+I120, once flashed the initial boot is great. I usually reboot the phone at this point. Reboot is fine however at this point the major issue is when the screen is off. Once off, it is impossible to wake (via power button). The only way to irk a response from the phone is with a battery pull. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem? I just cleared cache and dalvik prior to flashing. On AOKP milestone 2.
  • 0 Likes

inffy

inffy

G33kY

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:33 PM #49

love this kernel, gives a level of smoothness not offered by others. one major issue i do have with the most recent version, using the G120+I125 or G120+I120, once flashed the initial boot is great. I usually reboot the phone at this point. Reboot is fine however at this point the major issue is when the screen is off. Once off, it is impossible to wake (via power button). The only way to irk a response from the phone is with a battery pull. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem? I just cleared cache and dalvik prior to flashing. On AOKP milestone 2.

Just use a lower version. It means your phone cant handle the ic on those levels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:35 PM #50

Seems pretty hard to find a stable version (with OC), so much options :P

EDIT: I finally found at least the bottom of what of the OC version works. God damn this is snappy (rom: AOKP b17). Now have to test even the higher OC versions to find the last version that works.

@Ezekeel

Are you planning to include the new FIOPS thingy?

The FIOPS scheduler is not mature enough yet for my taste. I guess I will include it in 1-2 month once a stable and well tested version is released.

Just use a lower version. It means your phone cant handle the ic on those levels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Exactly. I had the same problems with the high OC flavors. It vanished once I switched to lower OC values.
  • 0 Likes