20 votes

[KERNEL][27 MAR] GLaDOS V2.3 for JB 4.2.2

• Please log in to reply

rayvioli

rayvioli

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:30 PM #31

any chance you'll add deep idle to the kernel? I was using your kernel on my old Nexus S before and the mod was great for battery!
  • 0 Likes

Luxferro

Luxferro

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:49 PM #32

any chance you'll add deep idle to the kernel? I was using your kernel on my old Nexus S before and the mod was great for battery!

+1, I was looking for that too. My phone sucks at OCing, So looking for better battery tweaks is my goal.
  • 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Your trusted friend in science

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:12 PM #33

Interesting that you mention that since I looked into it today.

Checking the code and reading the technical manual I confirmed that the Galaxy Nexus already has a power saving state similar to DEEP IDLE on the Nexus S implemented. And to my surprise and joy this state was also used while the screen is on. This is really awesome!

With some trial and error I was able to improve it a bit more hopefully without breaking it. It will be included in official GLaDOS V1.0 release later today.
  • 2 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:16 PM #34

I have the released the first official stable version GLaDOS V1.0.

Since the low power C4 state is also used while the screen is on, in theory there should be no need anymore for running the CPU at frequencies lower the maximum frequency - on the contrary, running the CPU at lower frequencies could increase the battery drain since it prevents a proper race-to-idle. Therefore I have decided to remove the feature of limiting the frequency while the screen is off and also set the default governor to performance.
  • 0 Likes

skyhigh2004

skyhigh2004

Android Beginner

• 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:42 PM #35

So far v1.0 120-120 running super smooth here. Will report back on battery life tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  • 0 Likes

odin13

odin13

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:13 PM #36

I have the released the first official stable version GLaDOS V1.0.

Since the low power C4 state is also used while the screen is on, in theory there should be no need anymore for running the CPU at frequencies lower the maximum frequency - on the contrary, running the CPU at lower frequencies could increase the battery drain since it prevents a proper race-to-idle. Therefore I have decided to remove the feature of limiting the frequency while the screen is off and also set the default governor to performance.

interesting read...will give theb100/100 kernel a go

thnx Ezekeel!

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

dwang

dwang

• 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:05 PM #37

Wouldn't you want the CPU to be clocked at a lower speed while playing music w the screen off?

Interesting that you mention that since I looked into it today.

Checking the code and reading the technical manual I confirmed that the Galaxy Nexus already has a power saving state similar to DEEP IDLE on the Nexus S implemented. And to my surprise and joy this state was also used while the screen is on. This is really awesome!

With some trial and error I was able to improve it a bit more hopefully without breaking it. It will be included in official GLaDOS V1.0 release later today.

Edited by dwang, 13 January 2012 - 01:05 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Ezekeel

Ezekeel

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:51 PM #38

Wouldn't you want the CPU to be clocked at a lower speed while playing music w the screen off?

No. Since that would hinder race-to-idle to C4.
  • 0 Likes

dwang

dwang

• 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:10 PM #39

No. Since that would hinder race-to-idle to C4.

If u are playing music its not idling.

Playing music shouldn't require the phone to run at 1.2ghz. It should be able to play music at 350mhz, thus saving power.

Edited by dwang, 13 January 2012 - 09:10 PM.

• 0 Likes

inffy

inffy

G33kY

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:31 PM #40

What kind of battery consumption you guys are getting with this? with the standard or the overclocked versions?
  • 0 Likes