6 votes

OPPtimizer Projekt - Milestone Overclock for OMAP4 Devices

Overclocking Kernel Module
  • Please log in to reply

razz1

razz1

Overclocker

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:27 AM #651

After hours of trying to overclock my Bionic, I'm about to give up. I pretty much have realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm rooted on .902, running SELFKANG ICS4Bionic. I've flashed mo_simp_1.5_edison-signed.zip. I am lost at this point however... I can't even decipher what the next step even is. I have Terminal Emulator, but have no clue what to do there. Is there a step-by-step somewhere? Or somewhere for me to learn what exactly I need to do? If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Well I'm not sure if flashing the zip is going to put the files where they need to be because i didn't do it that way. However in the end, the symsearch.ko and overclock.ko need to be put in the system/lib/module - folder. You can extract the MO_simple_edison.zip that you downloaded and then copy and paste the .ko files where they need to be if they are not already there.
You then need to insmod the modules to load them. So in terminal you can type...
insmod /system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko
Hit enter
Then type
insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
Hit enter
You can copy and paste the scripts above from this and insert it straight to terminal emulator. (I hate typing all them scripts myself so i put them all in a notepad app)
You have now installed the modules. You will need to insmod the modules each time you boot but I do believe there is an initd script to autoload if you want to do it that way. This is just the basics to get you going.
Now its time to do some overclocking..
Use your standard overclocking app and lock out the top frequency slot so it can only clock as high as 800mhz because we need to give the top slot (slot #3) a new setting. If you are using the slot that you want to set, you may end up rebooting.
In terminal type...
echo 3 1200000000 62 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
Then hit enter.
You have now set the top slot (#3) to a frequency of 1.2ghz with the voltage set at vsel 62. Now set your overclock app to use that top slot again. You are now overclocked. If you want to set the other slots just echo that slot and set its freq and vsel.
If you would like to overclock your graphics processor....
Then type...
echo 384000000 > /proc/overclock/gpu_opps
Hit enter.
This will increase your frames per second considerably.

These are just the basics to get you going and there are other ways to accomplish the same end result. once you a good handle on this then try whats easiest for you.
Hope this helps.
Brian B

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using RootzWiki
  • 2 Likes

Maphack

Maphack

Android Lover

• 134 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:54 AM #652

Duno how to delete

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Edited by Maphack, 20 March 2012 - 12:01 PM.

• 0 Likes

xViper

xViper

• 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:00 PM #653

Well I'm not sure if flashing the zip is going to put the files where they need to be because i didn't do it that way. However in the end, the symsearch.ko and overclock.ko need to be put in the system/lib/module - folder. You can extract the MO_simple_edison.zip that you downloaded and then copy and paste the .ko files where they need to be if they are not already there.
You then need to insmod the modules to load them. So in terminal you can type...
Hit enter
Then type
Hit enter
You can copy and paste the scripts above from this and insert it straight to terminal emulator. (I hate typing all them scripts myself so i put them all in a notepad app)
You have now installed the modules. You will need to insmod the modules each time you boot but I do believe there is an initd script to autoload if you want to do it that way. This is just the basics to get you going.
Use your standard overclocking app and lock out the top frequency slot so it can only clock as high as 800mhz because we need to give the top slot (slot #3) a new setting. If you are using the slot that you want to set, you may end up rebooting.
In terminal type...
Then hit enter.
You have now set the top slot (#3) to a frequency of 1.2ghz with the voltage set at vsel 62. Now set your overclock app to use that top slot again. You are now overclocked. If you want to set the other slots just echo that slot and set its freq and vsel.
Then type...
Hit enter.

These are just the basics to get you going and there are other ways to accomplish the same end result. once you a good handle on this then try whats easiest for you.
Hope this helps.
Brian B

I copy and pasted the two files, but when i go to terminal and enter the commands it says "system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko failed (file exists)"
  • 0 Likes

razz1

razz1

Overclocker

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:15 PM #654

I copy and pasted the two files, but when i go to terminal and enter the commands it says "system/lib/modules/symsearch.ko failed (file exists)"

Then you are already insmoded then. Just skip that part and continue to the next step.

• 0 Likes

pelotudo

pelotudo

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:18 PM #655

ok, you're good to go then. go ahead and start entering your echo commands.

right now these are the settings im currently using:

echo 3 1200000000 1320000 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 2 900000000 1280000 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps
echo 1 600000000 1200000 > /proc/overclock/mpu_opps

The vsels might be a litte low for your phone, but you can play with them and see. I use the longer vsel values but you should be able to use the shorter ones posted on the front page as well. You can use a program like Script Manager or Scripter on the market and paste the insmod and echo commands in it so you don't have to keep typing them in terminal.
  • 0 Likes

disabled account

disabled account

Super User

• 354 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:44 PM #656

After hours of trying to overclock my Bionic, I'm about to give up. I pretty much have realized I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm rooted on .902, running SELFKANG ICS4Bionic. I've flashed mo_simp_1.5_edison-signed.zip. I am lost at this point however... I can't even decipher what the next step even is. I have Terminal Emulator, but have no clue what to do there. Is there a step-by-step somewhere? Or somewhere for me to learn what exactly I need to do? If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Thanks!

If you ever have to say "I don't know what IM doing" then you probably shouldn't be trying to overclock in the first place. Do your homework BEFORE you risk ruining an $800 piece of hardware. Not after.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

Preston951

Preston951

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:03 PM #657

Hit enter
Then type
Hit enter
In terminal type...
Then hit enter.
Then type...
Hit enter.

Hope this helps.
Brian B

Thanks a ton Brian. I'll give it a shot.
UPDATE:
Just ran it all - I actually previously had everything up to the actual overclock step! I'm on 1.2Gh... but my benchmark scores in both AnTuTu and Quadrant Standard are lower than stock. What could have gone wrong?

If you ever have to say "I don't know what IM doing" then you probably shouldn't be trying to overclock in the first place. Do your homework BEFORE you risk ruining an $800 piece of hardware. Not after.

Yes mom.

Edited by Preston951, 22 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

• 0 Likes

razz1

razz1

Overclocker

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:16 AM #658

Look! I don't know wtf your problem is or where you got your great big egotistical head. Your CONSISTANT NEGATIVE and DEGRADING posts are not welcome by anyone in this forum. I have seen it over and over again with you and your freakin attitude. If YOU think you are some android GOD then go to xda.

• 2 Likes

moofree

moofree

• 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:21 AM #659

I sure hope nobody actually paid $800 for a Bionic :money:
  • 0 Likes

Maphack

Maphack

Android Lover

• 134 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:29 PM #660

Look! I don't know wtf your problem is or where you got your great big egotistical head. Your CONSISTANT NEGATIVE and DEGRADING posts are not welcome by anyone in this forum. I have seen it over and over again with you and your freakin attitude. If YOU think you are some android GOD then go to xda.

Yeah... How are you supposed to know what you're doing unless you do something you didn't know how to do? If you don't understand this then I guess you were born with prior knowledge of electronics, congrats.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes