Android OS Forum banner

The Official Fix your TouchPad ( 8-12% stopped, No SD, Opps reformat, $&^#!@&# crap....) thread.

51K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  nevertells 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys,

I feel the pain going through the internet with regards to our Touchpad and stalling with the latest SW.
Credit where credit is due, you can see a list in the DL suite.

I decided to make a file suite to make this easier.

Download the Suite here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58849669/Fix%20Your.....touchpad.zip
Download WebOS Doctor here: http://ws.hpwebos.com/webosdoctor

If your file system stops getting recognized by the Computer while in Android or WebOS, you are still messed up either way. You will have to do this eventually. It will destroy user Data, be sure you backed up recently...

1st Method (No SD card...period):

1. Back-up using Clockwork mod and export using Wifi or Bluetooth to your computer.
2. Moboot back into WebOS Settings -> Device Info -> Reset Options -> Full Wipe
(Optional Step: Boot into recovery mode, connect to computer, open command window in location of ACMEUninstaller and type " novacom boot mem:// < ACMEUninstaller " - its just safer to add this)
3. After the Wipe, Run WebOS Doctor.

2nd Method (8-12%):

1. Download the suite above
2. Install the Novacom Universal Drivers.
3. Move the Novaterm.exe and the TerminalControl.dll to C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin after installing the novacom drivers.
4. Put the TP in Recovery mode (holding down power and vol+ at power-up)
5. Run WebOS Doctor and wait for it to stall at 12%
6. Open your command window and cd to the folder location of the ACMEInstaller
7. Run this in the command window: novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
8. When you see the ACMEInstaller stall and say that LVM failed, reboot by holding down power and home (the installer will force re-partition your device so webOS doc knows its not OK)
9. Boot back into recovery mode
10. Boot up WebOS Doctor and wait for the stall.
11. Open the command window again back to where the ACMEInstaller and other files are.
12. Run " novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage "
13. Once it reboots, put back into recovery mode.
14. For windows users: run command "novacom -t open tty://" *Now you are in the root!* Others just use "novaterm".
15. Run each of these commands individually: "lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure" ,"lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure", and "mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media"

*IF YOUR DEVICE DYING AT 8%, You may want to use the fix_dos_fs.sh built in to completely repartition and reformat the disk before using the "mkdosfs" command. *

16. Reboot the device into recovery mode and Start up WebOS doctor and watch it work!

*If your device is still having trouble connecting over USB,but boots...RUN METHOD 1. That should fix it.*

ALSO POSTED ARE SEVERAL METHODS BY JSCULLINS (moboot guy - awesome) FOR IF YOUR SD CARD AND INTERNAL PARTITIONS ARE SEEN, BUT JUST ACTING UP.

http://rootzwiki.com...-sdcard-issues/

Say Thanks if this helped you!

See less See more
#6 ·
Actually no it didn't... But If I would have found this write up 3 weeks ago it would have. I read your instructions and it matched what I did to fix my 12% error. I am sure this will come in handy to anyone else with issues. Seems like we have one or two every week with this problem.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
indeed JC, this is correct for when the SDcard is seen, but not recognized by the computer or Android correctly.

However, I found that it doesn't always work for when No SD card is seen (in Android or WebOS) or it just does not boot. This is basically what I found works if you installed Cyanogen and your system goes down. Just doing the techniques posted by WebOS Internalz does not work if you had Cyanogen.

Between your fine work (I am a fan) and these simple steps, it should be able to fix 99% of issues.

I wanted to put together a pile of everything one would need in one place with step by step instructions so that the less savvy could take care of the issue in less than an hour.

#9 ·
Ohh I don't have a problem... I did have a problem a few weeks ago but with a google search I figured it out. The steps I took are exactly as you described. I did do one extra step... Once I did the webos doctor and booted to webos, I did a secure erase. Then I started from scratch.

#8 ·
Excellent write-up and a tidy package. Between childofthehorn and jcsullins, you both have provided resources to repair most of the "near brick experiences" a lot of us have had. Big thanks to both of you.

#11 ·
I have a touchpad webos doctor stopped at 8%. The touchpad can boot into webos after a long booting time but no response for any touch. I tried 12% fix and it does not seem to work. I want to try fix_dos_fs.sh method in the thread. But I have no idea how to do it. Can someone provide some details about it. Where can I find fix_dos_fs.sh? What is the right command to run it?

#12 ·
Excellent thread childofthehorn. A couple of months back my TP got all screwed up and stopped at 12% with the doctor. I was fortunate enough to find a thread here by member Vmax and he had virtually the same instruction set as your method 2.

I had a feeling of great relief when after entering the commands in Nova and seeing the doctor go to 13% and beyond. Thanks.

Mike T

#15 ·
You need to check whether your novacom is installed. Try just typing "novacom" and hitting enter. If it tells you it isn't there, then re-install and reboot.

If you type novacom and hit enter and it come back with instructions for using novacom, you have it installed.

Please feel free to contact me via skype (under the same user name). I am available most of the time and can guide you from the very beginning to help you with your technical questions.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fortunately, never have bricked a TouchPad. But, just to be on the safe side, I downloaded your suite and unzipped it. In this post you suggest to check whether one has novacom installed by typing "novacom" and hitting enter. I'm guessing that one has to be in the Palm, inc or WebOS/SDK/bin folder where the novacom.exe is located. I did this and I get "Unable to find device". I'm again guessing that if I had my TouchPad attached in "bootie" mode, that I would get the afore-mentioned instructions?

Line three in your instructions says: "3. Move the Novaterm.exe and the TerminalControl.dll to C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin after installing the novacom drivers."

I think that you are assuming that everyone has the WebOS SDK installed on their computer as you did not include anything in your instructions about installing the SDK or how to do so. Is this a must have thing? Would putting these two files in the Palm, inc. folder work just as well which is where some folks have the novacom.exe. The UniversalNovacomInstaller and WebOSquickinstaller both create the Palm, inc folder and put the novacom.exe there.

I also see in the suite the nova-installer ulmage. Is this WebOS version specific or can you use this to repair any version of WebOS? I seem to remember reading somewhere that one had to extract that ulmage from the version of WebOS you were trying to fix or something like that.

Can you better explain the following:

*IF YOUR DEVICE DYING AT 8%, You may want to use the fix_dos_fs.sh built in to completely repartition and reformat the disk before using the "mkdosfs" command. *

So I think what you are saying is:

enter the following:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
<press enter>
lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
<press enter>
But, before entering:
mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Enter this?
fix_dos_fs.sh

When that is done, then enter this?

<press enter>

Does any of this make any difference whether one is doing this on a 16GB or 32GB TouchPad?

And finally, please clarity this:

14. For windows users: run command "novacom -t open tty://" *Now you are in the root!* Others just use "novaterm".

Are you saying that I run this command instead of connecting to the Touchpad using novaterm? In instruction #3, you say to copy novaterm and the Terminalcontrol.dll in the WebOS/SDK/bin folder. Remember above I asked if putting then in the Palm, inc folder would be OK. I am guessing again that a Windows user would type in the cmd window: novacom -t open tty:// <press enter> and then run the commands I asked about above. Sorry if I got my questions out of order.

Hope I never have to use this information, but I want to be sure of the instructions and steps to take if I ever do.

Thanks

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
OMG! What the f*** is wrong with me?! I even bricked my kindle fire! This is like the worst thing ever. Never ever ever ever again am I going to mess with my damn electronics, well I don't have electronics anymore so can't mess with them even if I wanted to lol. BTW I do have novacom installed. I figured something out. When I try to run the command while webos doctor is running it won't work but once I close webos doctor and restart my touchpad into recovery mode and run the command it works. (I am assuming that it works because after running the command I see two penguins and text scrolling on the screen)

#18 ·
It worked! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! You have no idea how much this means to me. I really appreciate your help. Ok now let me go back and start messing with my touchpad and I also have to figure out a way to fix my kindle fire. Thanks again.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gonna try your method of asking my questions right next to the line in question and I put them in bold text also. Sorry your answers were either not clear or did not answer the question I posed.

2nd Method (8-12%):

1. Download the suite above

How come you don't include the WebOS SDK in the suite you suggest downloading?

Why do you include the Universal Novacom installer file?

Why run it when your instructions say to move the novaterm and Terminalcontrol.dll into the WebOS/SDK/bin folder, why not the Palm,inc folder?

Can I accomplish all of this from the Palm, inc folder instead of the C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin folder?

2. Install the Novacom Universal Drivers.

Doesn't installing the WebOS SDK install the Novacom Universal drivers? If that is the case, what if the purpose of running the Universal Novacom Installer?

3. Move the Novaterm.exe and the TerminalControl.dll to C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin after installing the novacom drivers.

If I installed the Novacom Universal drivers using the Universal Novacom Installer program, why can't I just copy these two files into the Palm, inc folder instead?

4. Put the TP in Recovery mode (holding down power and vol+ at power-up)
5. Run WebOS Doctor and wait for it to stall at 12%
6. Open your command window and cd to the folder location of the ACMEInstaller

This could either be the Palm, inc folder or C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin folder. I have read that folks just put the ACMEInstaller2 file in this folder instead of the Palm, inc folder and just run the command in line 7 below from there, correct?

7. Run this in the command window: novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
8. When you see the ACMEInstaller stall and say that LVM failed, reboot by holding down power and home (the installer will force re-partition your device so webOS doc knows its not OK)
9. Boot back into recovery mode
10. Boot up WebOS Doctor and wait for the stall.
11. Open the command window again back to where the ACMEInstaller and other files are.
12. Run " novacom boot mem:// < nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage "

So, I understand from your previous reply that pushing this file on to the TouchPad is just putting it there so WebOS Doctor is happy to see it there and it gets deleted and replaced by WebOS Doctor, correct?

13. Once it reboots, put back into recovery mode.

So after I run the command "novacom -t open tty://" , then I can use novaterm to run the commands in line 15? This needs to be clearer, not all of us are developers, but may need to try repairing WebOS.

15. Run each of these commands individually: "lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure" ,"lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure", and "mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media"

*IF YOUR DEVICE DYING AT 8%, You may want to use the fix_dos_fs.sh built in to completely repartition and reformat the disk before using the "mkdosfs" command.

You need to better explain what you are trying to say in the line above. In what order do I run the above commands in relationship to the fix_dos_fs.sh command?

16. Reboot the device into recovery mode and Start up WebOS doctor and watch it work!
Thanks

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
How come you don't include the WebOS SDK in the suite you suggest downloading?
Why do you include the Universal Novacom installer file?
Why run it when your instructions say to move the novaterm and Terminalcontrol.dll into the WebOS/SDK/bin folder, why not the Palm,inc folder?
Can I accomplish all of this from the Palm, inc folder instead of the C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin folder?
You could do this from the Palm, inc folder I imagine. The novacom drivers if you had the SDK would have defaulted to that point of reference. You could do it from the Palm folder I would imagine. I do not include the SDK as its not 100% needed for s simple recovery such as this. The Novacom Drivers that come with the SDK do not always work 100% like the Universal Drivers do (which are open-source, HP's are not, Universal drivers will also work with any machine). For some reason, the default HP drivers didn't work for me 2x's, tried the Universal ones and it has not failed me yet (fixed about 5 different bricked devices myself). My fiance works for HP and almost every employee has one so I have gotten a few to fix that were from those employees.

This could either be the Palm, inc folder or C:\Program files (x86)\HP WebOS\SDK\bin folder. I have read that folks just put the ACMEInstaller2 file in this folder instead of the Palm, inc folder and just run the command in line 7 below from there, correct?

The file location of the ACMEinstaller doesn't really matter as Novacom essentially puts itself in your windows "bin" . You can run the Novacom command from anywhere, but in this case since you are accessing the ACMEinstaller, it needs to be from the same folder as the ACMEinstaller. You are using the ACMEInstaller because it repartitions some of the TP in a way that WebOS doctor can recognize something in wrong . Otherwise, it will likely only see ghost files if anything at all. WebOS doctor will not know that those ghost files are actually missing/corrupted. This is an essential step for anyone who installed an alternative OS to webOS on the device (worked on a fudged up Ubuntu install too).

So, I understand from your previous reply that pushing this file on to the TouchPad is just putting it there so WebOS Doctor is happy to see it there and it gets deleted and replaced by WebOS Doctor, correct?

This is basically what happens. When you erased/messed up this essential file it looks for was either corrupted or moved to a different block in the memory and it cannot find this reference file. You are fixing it so that it can. WebOS doctor will do the rest of the fixing/updating.

So after I run the command [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]"novacom -t open tty://"[/background] , then I can use novaterm to run the commands in line 15?[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] [/background]This needs to be clearer, not all of us are developers, but may need to try repairing WebOS.

After you enter that command you are "within" novaterm with root permissions for Windows users. You would get the same results on Linux and Mac as if they had just typed in "novaterm" as in their case it seems to go automatically to root. Root is needed because of the permissions required to alter some of these files.

You need to better explain what you are trying to say in the line above.[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] [/background]In what order do I run the above commands in relationship to the fix_dos_fs.sh command?

fix_dos_fs.sh is "bash script" found on many devices that are 5+ months old. It runs the SAME SEQUENCE as outlined below in order:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure

lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

This is only when the 12% fix is not working at all (try it at least 3 times before giving the 8% a try. The 8% can be harder to correct if you make an error.
WebOS Doctor will fix this when it updates/restores.

I included the exact instructions on the front page of this because honestly, you do not want to give people without much experience too many options. Find where your Novacom installs itself and move the new stuff to there because that is its home that it is accessing from.

I really do appreciate you asking all of these thorough questions. I wanted to post up a method that would work for 95% of cases or better and a suite that wouldn't require them to do/know much. Not everyone is going to figure out how to properly extract a working WebOS uImage from the WebOS Doctor, especially if they had trouble with these instructions.

Please feel free to ask me anything else to clarify. Remember that WebOS is basically a customized Linux build. Android uses a Linux base with a Java runtime on top while WebOS is a bit more direct.

#23 ·
I am currently stuck at 8% and came across this thread.

I am waiting for the LVM to fail but at the moment I have a scroll of text on the touchpad screen. Each line mentions a file and then

Bad file name
Auto-renaming it

Do I have to wait for all that to keep going or has something gone wrong?

#26 ·
Please help im getting this error
Code:
<br />
unknown command<br />
when doing novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

please help ive been stuck on this for two days now.. i cant use WebOS Doc or anything till i have
gotten passed 12% issue
please help me * Cry's*
you have to run that command from the directory in which novacom is residing... at least for me. so if novacom is residing in D:\files\ and i run from a dos prompt C: that's not going to work and you're going to get the error message you got.

copy acmeinstaller to the location where novacom exists and then in dos, navigate to that directory (in our example D:\files\) and THEN type that command.

#34 ·
step 12 novaterm drops back to prompt. tablet drops to hp logo, yet i have no way of knowing if and what the image installer is doing, any ideas, i am afraid to let it sit too long as the batt. gets low, guess i can let it sit for a few, just have that, "it aint doin nothin" feeling in my gut:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.