Android OS Forum banner

[TOOL][Updated 2.22.12]viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 | Auto Root/Unroot/Busybox/CMW Flash!

45K views 76 replies 29 participants last post by  kleckshexe 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mod Type:: Mod

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Base:: Other

Mod Status:: Stable

Apply In:: Other (See Description)

Carrier:: N/A

Optional:: Includes Recovery

Requires Root:: No

Android Version:: 4.0.2 (ICS)

Source::

PrimeTime Reviews

dsmitty166;21302561 said:
Tried the other two methods without any success...but this one is the only one that works!!
dsmitty166;21302961 said:
You have done great work here. Top notch, the crazy thing is, even after trying to root about 6 times and being unsuccessful, I wasn't at all worried when I started PrimeTime.
Smurph82;21302792 said:
Everything went great I had lost root during the ICS ota and this fixed everything. Thanks -viperboy-
currentuserjade said:
Asus should send you a commission check, PrimeTime is the only reason I didn't return the TFP today!!! Thanks again!!!
Introducing viperMOD PrimeTime! An automated rooting program for your Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (ICS or HC supported) and the Asus Transformer TF101. It is very simple and easy to use with extra features that other root methods don't have. Works on Prime's that lost root with the ICS OTA! Now, here is how it works...
  • Download the .zip
  • Plug in your Transformer and make sure to install the drivers located in the included .zip (unless you can already adb into your device, then no need for drivers)
  • Kill Asus Sync and Splashtop! - very important!!
  • Make sure you have NO OTHER ANDROID DEVICES connected via USB!
  • If on Linux, you may need to do "chmod a+x /path/to/primetime/primetime.sh" (no quotes)
  • Run the viperMOD PrimeTime.exe and choose an option.
  • After rooting, download OTA Root Keeper from the Market!
  • ???
  • Profit?

It's as simple as that! I have tested this about 30 times (both rooting and unrooting) and it works just fine! I would HIGHLY recommend downloading Voodoo Root Keeper!! Any issues or questions, please feel free to post here! Enjoy your rooted Prime :D

Things you should NOT do!
  • Try to root with the Transformer in the dock
  • Use a USB extension cable
  • Not download OTA Root Keeper
  • Not follow directions

Updated 2.22 - v4.5
  • Added Asus Unlock Tool install and automated CWM flash

HC root based on NachoRoot by jcase and TeamAndIRC.

ICS root based on TPSparkyRoot by sparkym3.

Latest ICS root based on https://github.com/saurik/mempodroid by Saurik.

Download
Windows (v4.5): http://bit.ly/wpcUrZ
Linux/Unix (v4.1 - update coming soon!): http://bit.ly/PrimeTime_v4_1_Linux

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Changelog
Code:
<br />
Updated 1.25 - v4.1[list]<br />
[*]Fixed an issue where people couldn't root, even on latest OTA. The problem was a copy of su in /system/bin (or in some cases /system/xbin) that had the wrong permissions. The fix is to remove it, repush, and set correct permissions on it<br />
<br />
Updated 1.24 - v4<br />
<br />
[*]Support latest OTA (.11) and up! This should (hopefully) stick around a while because of the exploit used!<br />
[*]Code clean up<br />
[*][B]TIP:[/B] I would recommend just updating to .11.1 from [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1452933"]here[/URL] (make sure you download the large 300+MB file) and follow those directions and then try rooting. That is what I did and v4 worked on that just fine :)<br />
<br />
<br />
Updated 1.22<br />
[*]Added Linux/Unix version<br />
<br />
Updated 1.12 - v3.1<br />
[*]Added a line of code to (hopefully) fix failed rooting. This was likely caused by root failing and not undoing the code (my script has always done that on a failed root, I assume most people who are having problems now did it by hand before?)<br />
<br />
Updated 1.12 - v3<br />
[*]Supports ICS root method (as well as alt. root method, used on TF101 and Prime's on HC)<br />
[*]Better busybox install<br />
[*]Better su binary and Superuser app removal (checks /data for Superuser if you updated it in Market)<br />
[*]More code enhancements and cleanup<br />
[*]Added donate menu [because you guys love us :D]<br />
<br />
<br />
Updated 1.10 - v2<br />
[*]Name changed to PrimeTime (thanks xda user whose name I need to find!)<br />
[*]Installs busybox upon rooting<br />
[*]Fix bug where superuser and binary weren't removed<br />
[*]Removes superuser.apk from /data/app if updated from Market<br />
[*]Gives you sysro and sysrw (type that into a terminal/adb shell for quick rw/ro /system)<br />
[*]Code enhancements and cleanup<br />
<br />
Updated 1.4 - v1<br />
[*]Initial Release<br />
<br />
FAQ

Q. Do I need ADB?
A. Yes, but you don't need to set it up or anything. I have packaged it as part of the .exe and it should work just fine.

Q. Will I not be able to OTA?
A. No, rooting doesn't affect OTA whatsoever. It's actually reverse - OTA affects root. You will still get update notifications when updates drops, but you WILL loose root if you update. Download Voodoo Root Keeper to keep root if you take the next OTA! The only way rooting would possibly affect an OTA is if, once rooted, you delete the certificates and modify the build.prop (and other things) that don't allow the OTAs to come through.

Q. Will this work on ICS and/or HC?
A. Yes, it now supports both. The ICS root method may work on HC Prime's and TF101's but I haven't gotten reports on that yet.

Q. The program doesn't do anything! WTF?!
A. Did you enable USB Debugging like the program told you too? [Settings > Developer Options] I hope you also installed the drivers, since the program told you to do that too. Once that is all set, the program will continue. If you're still having issues, please try this:

Originally Posted by Swiftks
Here's what I did to resolve the auto driver install by Windows 7, which does not allow for adb interface:

Prime:
1) Turn USB Debugging ON (Settings -> Developer Options)
2) Allow installation of non-market apps (Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources)
3) Uncheck Launch ASUS Sync (Settings -> Accounts & sync)

PC (Windows 7 x64):
4) Connect Prime to PC via USB & drivers automatically installed. *Note: Prime is only visible under "Portable Devices" in Device Manager.
5) Download the ViperMod .zip for Windows from the OP.
6) In Device Manager, right click on Transformer Prime TF201 (under portable devices), and choose Update Driver Software.
7) Choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software.
8) Choose Let Me Pick A List of Device Drivers on My Computer
9) If you see MTP USB Device on the next screen under ASUS Android MTP Device, choose it and click next. If you don't see this, then maybe try selecting "Have Disk" and pointing to the drivers folder in ViperMod (MTP file perhaps??).
10) Windows will install driver and and you should now also see a separate tier under Device Manager labeled, ASUS Android Devices -> ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface. If you see this you are good to go and can run the adb vipermod root process.
If you still need help with the driver install, this video tutorial might help.

Q. Why add busybox and Superuser.apk to /system? I don't want that shit!
A. Sorry I can't please you. Busybox is important because it adds many commands to the device that it doesn't have (it doesn't have basic commands like 'copy' or 'grep' [a type of find]). When you install ROMs on other devices, you have busybox. It will be necessary to things I have coming down the pipe
As far as Superuser getting installed to /system, you'd have to go out of your way to uninstall it. In /data, it's easy to uninstall and if you master reset, root wouldn't work because there is no app, upon reboot, that would manage apps requesting root access.

#9 ·
Just rooted using the new vipermod v3 root method. Worked after ICS OTA update. Word of warning if you have the dock. I had mine docked and it never reconnected with my computer to continue the process. I just about shat myself as my TP just kept rebooting. I undocked and reconnected and it completed the root just fine.

Reactions: berto1014
#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the work on this Viper! I'm having some trouble getting it to run though...if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

- I installed the drivers from the .zip
- I plug my Prime into my PC and it recognizes it.
- I run the ViperMod tool and it opens.
- I select 1 for root and press enter.
- The ViperMod tool window goes blank and nothing happens.

I'm on the latest update (9.4.2.11). Coud that be an issue? I read something on XDA earlier that mentioned that Sparkys tool wouldn't work with the latest update...however, I'm having issues connecting to XDA's site at the moment so i can't get the full details. If anyone knows what I could be doing wrong I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Six

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the work on this Viper! I'm having some trouble getting it to run though...if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

- I installed the drivers from the .zip
- I plug my Prime into my PC and it regognizes it.
- I run the ViperMod tool and it opens.
- I select 1 for root and press enter.
- The ViperMod tool window goes blank and nothing happens.

I'm on the latest update (9.4.2.11). Coud that be an issue? I read something on XDA earlier that mentioned that Sparkys tool wouldn't work with the latest update...however, I'm having issues connecting to XDA's site at the moment so i can't get the full details. If anyone knows what I could be doing wrong I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Six
Do you have splashtop running on your PC? That's why I couldn't root at first. I stopped splashtop then it worked. I hadn't installed the latest fix yet though.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
The most recent OTA (9.4.2.11) is currently unrootable. Also, this tool is pretty out of date. Viberboy seems to be updating his XDA thread the most, if you want the most current information head over there. The only way to do it now is to root an earlier OTA, then use VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper before you accept the update.

#21 ·
Updated to v4.1! Confirmed with 3 testers in IRC that the latest method is working! The problem some people were having is that a copy of su remained in /system/bin (or sometimes /system/xbin) with the wrong permissions.

Because Asus' toolbox is pretty weak (toolbox holds all of the commands the tablet knows), there were some limitations that I had to overcome. Stock, you can't even do a copy or grep (a type of filter and find) so the method I was using was to "cat" su from /data/local to /system/bin (cat essentially reads su, but I direct the output into /system/bin - hence, creating the file and basically doing a copy). The problem was that if su already existed in /system/bin, it couldn't make the su file in /system/bin and su still didn't have the right permissions. While I could have just done a permission change (chmod), I find it better to remove, push a fresh su, and then set permissions. And we couldn't use busybox because that requires us to have root FIRST!

This is why you really want busybox and why PrimeTime installs it for you
Makes everything alot easier and you will need it down the line anyway, especially if you want to use viperControl and other tools that are eventually coming

If you have any problems, please post here but I believe this to be very solid. I will eventually rewrite all of PrimeTime so it is more efficient. Instead of performing alot of the operations from within Windows, I will make all of that into scripts that run on the Prime. I am much better with bash scripting anyway and can do more with it, making the program more efficient and adding in error checking as well as some other enhancements.

As always, enjoy everyone

#22 ·
I downloaded the most current zip file but I can't seem to find the .exe program. My prime shows up as a portable device under device manager and it seems that the correct drivers are installed. I have usb debugging checked and I have asus sync unchecked. I need some noob help on how to get the .exe program to run. Thanks.

#23 ·
On my computer it is the second to last file in the main directory and is labeled "viperMOD PrimeTime v4.1.exe", is sized at 66,560 kb (41,334 kb packaged), and is listed as "Application". Mine showed up there the first time I downloaded and unzipped. And I'm not sure what your computer setup is like but if you are not already using 7zip possibly consider giving it a try. When I extracted the package I right clicked on the downloaded file in an explorer window and chose extract here. Clicked on the folder after 7zip did its job and found the .exe at the bottom. Hopefully you get it figured out sooner rather than later but feel free to PM me or find me on Google+ using my G+ button on the left if you don;t get it figured out or something.

Sent from my Transformer Prime

#27 ·
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6621763/viperMOD%20PrimeTime%20v4.1_db.zip

I'm wondering if something is going on with the host, I doubt it. I changed the name so you won't get a cached version and I put it in my personal dropbox. I verified that there is an .exe in there, so if this doesn't work, it's something with your computer. Maybe antivirus or something hiding the .exe from you?

#33 ·
You can't technically overclock with the bootooader being locked. I forgot to post it here but I have a tool on XDA called viperControl that activates 1.5 and 1.6GHz. They have them tucked away in the Prime (they were there stock) and this just actiavtes them. Kinda neat.

But I would recommend System Tuner Pro. It locks all 4 cores to performance if you want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.