Rate this Topic

1 votes

Easy way to update to .901 rooted

• Please log in to reply

OP TruSteelfan

TruSteelfan

Android Junkie

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:12 PM #1

I have been trying to find a way to get to the .901 update and rooted today and tried P3droids method, but it did not work for me. All I got was boot loops. Thought I'd share how I did this for anyone else that has problems with this as well.

I found an easy way to do this by doing the following.:

1. I used dhacker29 4ever root method to return back to complete stock and at .886 from this link:

http://rootzwiki.com...the-bionic-v21/

2. Choose option option 1 from his program to return back to stock and 4ever root.
Be patient this will take a little while.
When its booted up just skip the set up and connect to your Wifi for faster download.

3. Once that is done choose option 5 from that program to install cheesecakeV2.
Use that app to get the OTA update for .893
Let it download and install the OTA update. Don't worry you will keep root.

4. Next download this file from the link and put it on the root of your sdcard.
It will tell you that its .893 but it's not. It is for people coming from .893. Motorola does it this way for some reason.
DO NOT FLASH THIS IN FASTBOOT OR SAFEBOOT RECOVERY!!
BOOT INTO FASTBOOT AND SELECT RECOVERY FROM FASTBOOT AND SELECT THIS TO FLASH
I REPEAT.. USE THE STOCK RECOVERY TO FLASH THIS .901 UPDATE
Then reboot

http://www.mediafire...2zcybvceuv5zo6r

5. Once the phone is rebooted you will have a .901 rooted. Then you can install bootstrap and install a rom if you want or just stay stock rooted.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by TruSteelfan, 10 January 2012 - 12:39 PM.

• 4 Likes
My android history:
G1, Cliq, MyTouch 3G, Nexus One, Samsung Vibrant, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Bionic, Razr, Galaxy Nexus, and now Galaxy SIII

srmason6

srmason6

Android Beginner

• 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:41 PM #2

Steel,
I tried this method, and with a system wipe before released root, it worked to perfection, thanks for your work!!
  • 0 Likes

OP TruSteelfan

TruSteelfan

Android Junkie

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:06 AM #3

Steel,
I tried this method, and with a system wipe before released root, it worked to perfection, thanks for your work!!

Awesome, glad I could help.
  • 0 Likes
My android history:
G1, Cliq, MyTouch 3G, Nexus One, Samsung Vibrant, Droid X, Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, Bionic, Razr, Galaxy Nexus, and now Galaxy SIII

beast18

beast18

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:15 PM #4

this worked great thanks!!!!!!!!!! 901 rocks
  • 0 Likes

nickski

nickski

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:40 AM #5

I need help please, I did exactly as the instructions said, and I have done this before getting to the leak of .893. but every time i check for and update, it downloads installs then boots up and says update fail. any ideas? I even tried installing the update from setting>about>check for updates. still fails. did i miss something after returning to stock, 4ever rooting?

Edited by nickski, 06 January 2012 - 07:41 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP TruSteelfan

TruSteelfan

Android Junkie

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:38 AM #6

I need help please, I did exactly as the instructions said, and I have done this before getting to the leak of .893. but every time i check for and update, it downloads installs then boots up and says update fail. any ideas? I even tried installing the update from setting>about>check for updates. still fails. did i miss something after returning to stock, 4ever rooting?

Did you use the cheesecake apk to get the .893? If so, maybe you just got a corrupted download.
Did you use dhacker29 method to get completely back to stock and root?
  • 0 Likes
My android history:

nickski

nickski

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:51 AM #7

Did you use the cheesecake apk to get the .893? If so, maybe you just got a corrupted download.
Did you use dhacker29 method to get completely back to stock and root?

yes, first used dhacker29 method to get to get back to stock and root with R3l3as3droot. then installed cheescake check for update, got it, downloaded, installed, and I keep getting "update status, the software update failed." i even tried going to setting>about>check for update, downloaded installed and failed. like 10 times. I updated to the leak of 893 a long time ago, but when I FXZ back to 886 it shouldnt matter right?
  • 0 Likes

OP TruSteelfan

TruSteelfan

Android Junkie

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:55 AM #8

yes, first used dhacker29 method to get to get back to stock and root with R3l3as3droot. then installed cheescake check for update, got it, downloaded, installed, and I keep getting "update status, the software update failed." i even tried going to setting>about>check for update, downloaded installed and failed. like 10 times. I updated to the leak of 893 a long time ago, but when I FXZ back to 886 it shouldnt matter right?

Yes that shouldn't matter. Try deleting any off the OTA updates off your sdcard. Check both internal and external sdcard. Sounds like you have a bad download. Once they are deleted try again. Hopefully that will help.
  • 1 Likes
My android history:

nickski

nickski

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:47 AM #9

Yes that shouldn't matter. Try deleting any off the OTA updates off your sdcard. Check both internal and external sdcard. Sounds like you have a bad download. Once they are deleted try again. Hopefully that will help.

What folder do the ota dl go to? And what are the file names? Thanks for all the help
  • 0 Likes

sniffs

sniffs

• 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:04 AM #10

When I try and apply that .901 in stock recovery, it's failing on the check of myverizon.apk

I am on rooted .893 using the 4ever root method..

Edited by sniffs, 06 January 2012 - 11:05 AM.

• 0 Likes