Rate this Topic

- - - - -

How To Root Stock

• Please log in to reply

OP KatsumeBlisk

KatsumeBlisk

Average Android

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:03 AM #1

Now that it's possible to unlock the boot loader via HTC's site, how does one root the phone? I am new to HTC devices and I've only used scripts before.

I'm also correct in stating that I can just use ROM manager to flash CWR when it's rooted?
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

phillyfisher

phillyfisher

Robot Ninja

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:01 AM #2

After you unlock you can flash CWM recovery.. then flash SU.

I used this thread for guidance: http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=14947083
  • 0 Likes
Razr HD - Stock 4.2.1 (but rooted and unlocked!!!)
Gnex - 4.2.2 ROM of the week
Dinc2 - Miui
HP Touchpad - AOKP
Nook Color - ParanoidAndroid

msjohnson2868

msjohnson2868

Android Apprentice

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:49 PM #3

Does unlocking give the necessary S-off so this can be flashed? I have a friend that wants me to root his inc2 and wasn't sure how the recent unlockability from HTC affected the rooting processes.
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

JAS_21

JAS_21

Bad Influence

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:24 PM #4

Does unlocking give the necessary S-off so this can be flashed? I have a friend that wants me to root his inc2 and wasn't sure how the recent unlockability from HTC affected the rooting processes.
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using RootzWiki

I recommend using the Revolutionary tool. You first would have to downgrade the bootloader from .98.

There's a tutorial on xda in the dev section. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1298990

This gives you full s-off and root.

Edited by JAS_21, 31 December 2011 - 06:29 PM.

• 1 Likes

rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot

rabbYt droYd

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:24 AM #5

I recommend using the Revolutionary tool. You first would have to downgrade the bootloader from .98.

There's a tutorial on xda in the dev section. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1298990

This gives you full s-off and root.

hey gang,

i tried rooting my wife's phone last night after using the official bootloader unlock, but had no luck using the tutorial from XDA having tried it on 2 separate computers. after it seems to copy the update to the phone fine, but when i reboot it's still 2.3.4. is there something about the official unlock that is causing the rollback to 2.3.3 to fail? has anybody gotten this to work after the official unlock?

thank you!

best,
rf
  • 0 Likes
if you like what i do, say "please", "thank you", and "excuse me"; and open doors for strangers Posted Image

if you haven't, click me to join dropbox and get extra storage!

fc127

fc127

Perry the Platypus

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:41 AM #6

hey gang,

i tried rooting my wife's phone last night after using the official bootloader unlock, but had no luck using the tutorial from XDA having tried it on 2 separate computers. after it seems to copy the update to the phone fine, but when i reboot it's still 2.3.4. is there something about the official unlock that is causing the rollback to 2.3.3 to fail? has anybody gotten this to work after the official unlock?

thank you!

best,
rf

when you copy the update to the SD card you then have to boot into the bootloader. Pull the battery, replace battery, hold down volume and power. It will then flash the update.

Sent from my DInc2
  • 0 Likes

rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot

rabbYt droYd

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:10 AM #7

thank you perry!

it's in the root of my sdcard (as "RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip"). is it meant to flash it automatically, do i need to rename it, or do i need to go into android recovery and flash it?

-rf

*edit* after rebooting into 2.3.4 this is what i entered into the cmd.exe

cd c:/android

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

this is what i get:

INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 98.238s

Edited by rabbitfoot, 02 January 2012 - 09:27 AM.

• 0 Likes
if you like what i do, say "please", "thank you", and "excuse me"; and open doors for strangers Posted Image

fc127

fc127

Perry the Platypus

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:19 AM #8

thank you perry!

it's in the root of my sdcard (as "RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip"). is it meant to flash it automatically, do i need to rename it, or do i need to go into android recovery and flash it?

-rf

*edit* after rebooting into 2.3.4 this is what i entered into the cmd.exe

cd c:/android

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

this is what i get:

INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 98.238s

I thought, thought I haven't read through the post from xda, that you had to rename it PG32IMG.ZIP.

Can you link the post here so I can confirm?

Sent from my DInc2
  • 0 Likes

rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot

rabbYt droYd

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:36 AM #9

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1298990 <-- i'm reading through the thread again

others have gotten that "99 unknown fail" but i can't find what that's about, even on other devices. the woe runneth plenty through me :)

thanks,
rf
  • 0 Likes

rabbitfoot

rabbitfoot

rabbYt droYd

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:55 AM #10

I'm downloading it again. md5 checker says it's not the right md5

sent from my galaxy nexus
  • 0 Likes