- - - - -

TacoRoot - HTC Universal Root Exploit 12-30-2011

• Please log in to reply

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:17 PM #1

Tacoroot is a root exploit for HTC phones, to the best of my knowledge it covers their whole portfolio at this time.

TacoRoot may void your warranty. This is not an s-off/unlock, but a temporary root method – and an unstable one at that. Your phone will be unstable until the undo parameter is used, and may not fully boot. ADB, however, will come up as root. If this breaks your phone, it is your fault not our's.

Donations not required, but if you really want to you can find my donate app in signature or paypal on the left hand side of this post. Funds go for devices (for more lulzrooting), kick backs for my kids, and to charities of my choice.

https://market.andro...b=Cunning+Logic

This vulnerability was independently discovered by Justin Case (http://twitter.com/teamandirc) and Dan Rosenberg (https://twitter.com/#!/djrbliss). Unrevoked and (http://twitter.com/unrevoked) and AlphaRev (https://twitter.com/#!/alpharevx) were also aware of it as well. TacoRoot was written by Justin Case (jcase), with the help of Reid Holland (erishasnobattery).

TacoRoot is brought to you by TeamAndIRC, AndroidPolice and RootzWiki

https://github.com/C...gLogic/TacoRoot

This main purpose of TacoRoot is to allow downgrading on phones such as the myTouch 4g, which has no other working temp root and no means of unlocking.

Instructions are self explanatory
adb push tacoroot.bin /data/local/
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh
adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh

This is the official support thread, however I am unable to provide support for every model phone.
  • 4 Likes
Please don't PM me here, I will not likely read it as I do not check often.

phillyfisher

phillyfisher

Robot Ninja

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:48 AM #2

First and foremost i want to thank you for the hard work it may have took to create this for the community.

I attempted this method 2x and was unable to achieve temp root. Here is a cut and paste of my terminal (MacOsX):

new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb push /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/tacoroot.bin /data/local/
1581 KB/s (14475 bytes in 0.008s)
new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.bin
new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1
By Justin Case (jcase)
Presented by TeamAndIRC, RootzWiki and AndroidPolice
With great assistance from Reid Holland (Erishasnobattery)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by
both Justin Case and Dan Rosenberg (Rosenberg fist). I believe unrevoked and
AlpahRev were also aware of it.
----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least once after your last factory reset.
--setup : Setup the phone for root, must be done before --root.
--root : Root the phone.
--undo : Remove TacoRoot.

Once i completed this i went into my phone terminal emulator to see if could get SU and it was a no go. Am I doing something wrong?

My phone is a Dinc2 "unlocked" with S-on.
  • 0 Likes
Razr HD - Stock 4.2.1 (but rooted and unlocked!!!)
Gnex - 4.2.2 ROM of the week
Dinc2 - Miui
HP Touchpad - AOKP
Nook Color - ParanoidAndroid

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:47 AM #3

Read the usage instructions, you ran it without any of the required parameters, so all it did was output the help section.

Also this does not install su, it starts adbD as root, and requires a completely stock phone.

First and foremost i want to thank you for the hard work it may have took to create this for the community.

I attempted this method 2x and was unable to achieve temp root. Here is a cut and paste of my terminal (MacOsX):

new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb push /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/tacoroot.bin /data/local/
1581 KB/s (14475 bytes in 0.008s)
new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.bin
new-host:~ jaxfisher$ /Users/jaxfisher/Desktop/dinc2/adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------
TacoRoot: HTC Edition v1 is based on a vulnerability independently discovered by
both Justin Case and Dan Rosenberg (Rosenberg fist). I believe unrevoked and
----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least once after your last factory reset.

Once i completed this i went into my phone terminal emulator to see if could get SU and it was a no go. Am I doing something wrong?

My phone is a Dinc2 "unlocked" with S-on.

• 0 Likes

phillyfisher

phillyfisher

Robot Ninja

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:57 AM #4

Read the usage instructions, you ran it without any of the required parameters, so all it did was output the help section.

Also this does not install su, it starts adbD as root, and requires a completely stock phone.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. Thank you again for your contributions to the community.

In the mean time, i found a way to gain root on my Dinc2 (it's unlocked with S-on). Probably easy for most... but glad i figured it out.

Thanks.
  • 0 Likes
Razr HD - Stock 4.2.1 (but rooted and unlocked!!!)
Gnex - 4.2.2 ROM of the week
Dinc2 - Miui
HP Touchpad - AOKP
Nook Color - ParanoidAndroid

izzyace

izzyace

Average Android

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:24 AM #5

Ok I tried this method but got a boot loop. All i want to do is downgrade my OS version on my myTouch 4G Slide. Is it still possible to downgrade even though I get a bootloop?
  • 0 Likes

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:18 PM #6

Ok I tried this method but got a boot loop. All i want to do is downgrade my OS version on my myTouch 4G Slide. Is it still possible to downgrade even though I get a bootloop?

As warned in OP it can cause phoen to be unstable, aka bootloop. However adb remains going the whole time, you can patch your MISC partition while its looping to allow the downgrade.
  • 1 Likes

izzyace

izzyace

Average Android

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:54 PM #7

As warned in OP it can cause phoen to be unstable, aka bootloop. However adb remains going the whole time, you can patch your MISC partition while its looping to allow the downgrade.

Ok, I'll try misc_version to see if I can actually downgrade. Thank you for your help.
  • 0 Likes

YrrchSebor

YrrchSebor

Android Apprentice

• 34 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:34 PM #8

hi there, i know that TacoRoot itself does not install Su, but is it possible to use the root adb shell to push Su and/or Clockworkmod, and then remove TacoRoot so that the phone boots back up normally? or is the sole purpose of this to downgrade the phone?

thx in advance for any info, and thx for bringing this tool to the community.

Edited by YrrchSebor, 13 January 2012 - 04:36 PM.

• 0 Likes

Captain_Throwback

Captain_Throwback

Android Beginner

• 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:37 AM #9

This method is very useful. I was able to use this to temp root my EVO 4G with the latest unlockable bootloader from HTC (2.18), without having to use their method to unlock it! Very nice. Of course, I used the mtd.img from an old EVO engineering build, since I don't believe your universal one will work on my device. But I was able to downgrade my main version nonetheless, and then roll back my bootloader to an easily unlockable version (with unrEVOked).

Thanks for your work on this!
  • 0 Likes
Device: HTC PC36100 (EVOTM 4G) | Hardware Version: 0003
Baseband Version (Radio): 2.15.00.12.19 | PRI Version: 2.33_003 | PRL Version: 61087

Recovery: RA-supersonic-v2.3 - HAUS MOD rev.A

mrhoopty

mrhoopty

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:48 PM #10

Hello I need some help I am trying to root a EVO 4G 2-3-5 2.18 I have done the HTC unlock and am trying the taco method and the first time it did not take. So I the second time this is what i get please help thanks alot. C:\android>adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/
33 KB/s (2129 bytes in 0.062s)

C:\android>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.sh

C:\android>adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.sh --setup
By Justin Case (jcase)
----------

both Justin Case and Dan Rosenberg (Rosenberg first). I believe unrevoked and
----------
Usage:
--recovery : For this exploit to work, you must have booted recovery at least on
ce after your last factory reset.
----------
Rebooting into recovery, please press Volume+, Volume- and Power at the same tim
e, and reboot the system.
rm failed for /data/data/recovery/log, No such file or directory

C:\android>adb shell
$
  • 0 Likes