Rate this Topic

2 votes

Secure Element

• Please log in to reply

OP sithlrdvad

sithlrdvad

Android Apprentice

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:56 PM #1

I been searching all over Google, XDA, Rootz and other forums and nothing, so here you have a couple questions:

I read the following at XDA:
"Secure Element not responding!
If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device. The Secure Element in your phone has now locked you out." Is this true???

Also this other post at XDA: "It's up to you when you flash it, just keep in mind that it's illegal to use Google Wallet if it doesn't come originally with the software"

Also I read that some of this new 4.0.3 ROMS have the Google Gapps with Google Wallet in them...can I erased the app just like any other app?

Also, Noob-Dumb question: I am unlocked and rooted still on 4.0.2...if I run/use Android Beam; will this break my Secure Element?

I alot of folks at XDA having this Secure Element problem, but not a solid reason on what causes this, what can you do to prevent it and how to fix it.

Sorry for the long post/Thread, 1st open device...I am used to the headaches that come with Moto phones...but i am willing to learn...

Thanks

Edited by sithlrdvad, 28 December 2011 - 11:00 PM.

• 0 Likes
Motorola V195 - Samsung R410 - Motorola W385 - LG Voyager - Blackberry Storm 1 - Storm 2 - Motorola Droid 1 - Motorola Droid X - Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Samsung Galaxy SIII

Fuego3048

Fuego3048

Android Beginner

• 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:15 AM #2

I've used Google wallet on several different roms and never restored the app. I've never had any problems. As for android beam I haven't had a chance to use it :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Edited by Fuego3048, 29 December 2011 - 12:16 AM.

• 0 Likes

Fuego3048

Fuego3048

Android Beginner

• 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:17 AM #3

Oh, also I've never used the flash version of Google Wallet. I've always used the aol. Don't know if that helps any.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

thepolishguy

thepolishguy

overcome evil with good

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:22 AM #4

I got the "Secure Element Not Responding" message after messing around with Google Wallet on a rom that wasn't set up for it. I wiped everything with a clean install of the 402 factory images and wallet is working fine for me. I was not "locked out" not did I buy a new phone. '

I have heard remarks to the contrary - and I do not encourage you to "test it out". But I can share my personal experience. I may actually try to break it again and get "locked out" just to make sure I am not crazy. After reading so many posts just like this one I am even starting to doubt myself. I mean - if I break Google Wallet - who really cares? I live in a small community (2000 people) and there is not a single location where I can use GW.

So if I break it again and fix it again I will let you know.

####EDIT####

OK - so I tried to break it and get the "Secure Element" warning. I have to eat my words. I was wrong. I never broke it originally. I thought I did. But after trying to recreate the problem I only got an error message. Not the "Secure Element" warning.

So my apologies for the misinformation.

Edited by thepolishguy, 29 December 2011 - 02:12 AM.

• 0 Likes

JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio

Android Beginner

• 55 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:10 AM #5

OK - so I tried to break it and get the "Secure Element" warning. I have to eat my words. I was wrong. I never broke it originally. I thought I did. But after trying to recreate the problem I only got an error message. Not the "Secure Element" warning.

I think I'm getting the same thing...no Secure Element error message, only "Wallet is not responding"...after a black screen for a few seconds...is this what yo uwere referring to?

I did a clean back to factory wipe of my phone, loaded the .apk back in before doing anything else, and since i started getting the not responding error, I haven't been able to open the app at all in ANY rom, iteration, stock, rooted, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, or 4.0.3...

this was all after it was working fine on 4.0.2 stock/rooted...then blammo...gone
  • 0 Likes

Agent_Cooper

Agent_Cooper

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:05 AM #6

I got the secure element on a 4.03 ROM...went all the way back to factory and it still gave the secure element error. Got a replacement phone and have been afraid to load any ROMs since a lot of them come with gapps including wallet. Good thread, OP. I will have to watch this one
  • 0 Likes

thatguy188

thatguy188

Wannabe GFX Guy

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:10 AM #7

I've used GW on several roms on my nexus and never had any errors or warnings. Even loaded money onto it on several occasions,,,,
  • 0 Likes

samsuck

samsuck

XDA Hater

• 805 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:13 AM #8

Isn't it okay to put roms with wallet on it so long as you don't actually launch the app?
  • 0 Likes

Agent_Cooper

Agent_Cooper

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:17 AM #9

Isn't it okay to put roms with wallet on it so long as you don't actually launch the app?

This is what i want to know too. I would love to get back on a ROM if it was cool just to delete or disable wallet and be safe.
  • 0 Likes

Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:45 AM #10

This is some very interesting information. Would greatly appreciate it if everybody shared everything they had to share about this so we, as a community, can move in the right direction with this.
  • 1 Likes