Rate this Topic

5 votes

Fixes for SDCARD issues for all versions of CyanogenMod

• Please log in to reply

OP jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:19 AM #11

Tried the methods in the first post & nothing happened. Then I tried this 'more aggressive' filesystem check/fix & it crashed! I couldn't boot at all. Kept restarting at the end of the boot animation. Trying a Nandroid restore now; nothing else seems to make it work.

Humm, 'nothing happened': specifically, which of the 'methods' did you try? they did not install? you received no output at all? Please explain.

The 'more aggressive' filesystems check was suggested to someone receiving a specific error. When did the crash you mention happen?
Did it crash while in recovery installing the 'update' or some other time? As stated above, it is possible that if you run the 'more aggressive'
check that files could be removed. Sounds like you did have some corruption on /data and as part of correcting that, it removed some files.
Also, those files being removed prevented the system from fully booting.
  • 0 Likes

OP jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:26 AM #12

I applied just the first patch for the fixed fsck_msdos from clockworkmod and now when I turn the screen off then back on, it reboots. Nothing appears in logcat either. Any way to reverse your patch? Or a fix for this? Thanks :)

EDIT: Running alpha 3.5

Sounds like a coincidence to me. Nobody else has mentioned anything like this regarding this fix.

However, if you wish to remove the filesystems check (which I strongly discourage), you can do
so with this: http://www.mediafire...6l5wziw3huqzawu
  • 0 Likes

Invincible10001

Invincible10001

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:30 AM #13

Humm, 'nothing happened': specifically, which of the 'methods' did you try? they did not install? you received no output at all? Please explain.

The 'more aggressive' filesystems check was suggested to someone receiving a specific error. When did the crash you mention happen?
Did it crash while in recovery installing the 'update' or some other time? As stated above, it is possible that if you run the 'more aggressive'
check that files could be removed. Sounds like you did have some corruption on /data and as part of correcting that, it removed some files.
Also, those files being removed prevented the system from fully booting.

Applied the first fix.
Installed. Rebooted. Got the notification: Preparing SD card. Checking for errors. It finished without any errors. I have less than 50 Apps on the SD, so I didn't get the "SD card removed. Insert a new one." error.
Next I tried the last fix/workaround allows you to increase the size of your 'Internal storage'. More specifically, the 2048MB fix.
Rebooted as soon as it was done. But the internal storage did not change. That is what I meant by: Nothing happened.

Next I tried the
'more aggressive' filesystems check/fix. As soon as I rebooted from recovery after applying that; it got stuck in a loop; wouldn't go past the boot animation, it just kept restarting at the boot animation. There was no crash otherwise.
The Nandroid backup-restore fixed it.

• 0 Likes

OP jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:46 AM #14

Applied the first fix.
Installed. Rebooted. Got the notification: Preparing SD card. Checking for errors. It finished without any errors. I have less than 50 Apps on the SD, so I didn't get the "SD card removed. Insert a new one." error.
Next I tried the last fix/workaround allows you to increase the size of your 'Internal storage'. More specifically, the 2048MB fix.
Rebooted as soon as it was done. But the internal storage did not change. That is what I meant by: Nothing happened.

Next I tried the
'more aggressive' filesystems check/fix. As soon as I rebooted from recovery after applying that; it got stuck in a loop; wouldn't go past the boot animation, it just kept restarting at the boot animation. There was no crash otherwise.
The Nandroid backup-restore fixed it.

OK. When you installed the 2048MB update, what output did you get? In particular, did you get ">>> SUCCEEDED <<<"
or ">>> FAILED <<<"? I will assume from what else you mention that it failed due to the errors on /data.
Since those should be corrected now, you could try it again.

Edited by jcsullins, 27 December 2011 - 10:47 AM.

• 0 Likes

Invincible10001

Invincible10001

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:56 AM #15

OK. When you installed the 2048MB update, what output did you get? In particular, did you get ">>> SUCCEEDED <<<"
or ">>> FAILED <<<"? I will assume from what else you mention that it failed due to the errors on /data.
Since those should be corrected now, you could try it again.

No! The output was: >> FAILED <<
Trying it out now again.
Just as a thought; suppose I connect the TouchPad to the computer & use the Windows Disk Checking utility on it; will that correct any of these errors?

EDIT: Yeah, same result as before. After the Nandroid restore; applied the first fix. It says Preparing SD Card: Checking for errors. No further output after that. Reboot into recovery & applied the 2048MB fix, this is the output:

media: 26248 => 24200 cm-data: 1536=>3584
media_fs tot=26242 sz=13585 free=12657
Checking cm-data...
fsck cm-data failed rc=4
>> FAILED <<

Edited by Invincible10001, 27 December 2011 - 11:40 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:10 PM #16

No! The output was: >> FAILED <<
Trying it out now again.
Just as a thought; suppose I connect the TouchPad to the computer & use the Windows Disk Checking utility on it; will that correct any of these errors?

EDIT: Yeah, same result as before. After the Nandroid restore; applied the first fix. It says Preparing SD Card: Checking for errors. No further output after that. Reboot into recovery & applied the 2048MB fix, this is the output:

media: 26248 => 24200 cm-data: 1536=>3584
media_fs tot=26242 sz=13585 free=12657
Checking cm-data...
fsck cm-data failed rc=4
>> FAILED <<

First, I would suggest to NEVER use Windows to check/correct/format/etc. the filesystem on the Touchpad.
Second, this is the /data partition and Windows cannot see it or know what to do with the filesystem on it.

Which recovery are you using?

Before running the update, make sure that /data is not mounted by the recovery:
In CWM, from Mounts and Storage, if it has a "unmount /data", select it.
In TWRP, from Mount, if it has "Unmount Data", select it.

Also, and maybe most important, when you ran the "more aggressive" check,
did it say it SUCCEEDED or FAILED? If it failed, then your /data partition is really
messed up and you probably need to reformat, reinstall and restore first.
  • 0 Likes

Invincible10001

Invincible10001

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:49 PM #17

First, I would suggest to NEVER use Windows to check/correct/format/etc. the filesystem on the Touchpad.
Second, this is the /data partition and Windows cannot see it or know what to do with the filesystem on it.

Which recovery are you using?

Before running the update, make sure that /data is not mounted by the recovery:
In CWM, from Mounts and Storage, if it has a "unmount /data", select it.
In TWRP, from Mount, if it has "Unmount Data", select it.

Also, and maybe most important, when you ran the "more aggressive" check,
did it say it SUCCEEDED or FAILED? If it failed, then your /data partition is really
messed up and you probably need to reformat, reinstall and restore first.

OK. I'm using CWM. Yeah, /data was always unmounted.
When I ran the 'more aggressive' check; the output was: >> FAILED - REBOOT NOW <<

So I formatted /data & tried again. Same results. Keeps failing. Any more suggestions?
  • 0 Likes

OP jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:32 PM #18

OK. I'm using CWM. Yeah, /data was always unmounted.
When I ran the 'more aggressive' check; the output was: >> FAILED - REBOOT NOW <<

So I formatted /data & tried again. Same results. Keeps failing. Any more suggestions?

Don't know what you used to format, but that should have worked (assuming it does a real format
(actually, mkfs) and not just remove files).

Regardless, using ACMEUninstaller and then re-install should do it.
  • 0 Likes

Invincible10001

Invincible10001

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:15 PM #19

Don't know what you used to format, but that should have worked (assuming it does a real format
(actually, mkfs) and not just remove files).

Regardless, using ACMEUninstaller and then re-install should do it.

I formatted the /data partition through CWM. That didn't work out,
Anyways; uninstalled through ACMEUninstaller & reinstalled. Then applied the fixes. Worked out great! Thanks!
  • 0 Likes

webdroidmt

webdroidmt

Gadget Freak

• 194 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:46 PM #20

Hi JC,

I just applied the first fsck_msdos fix and it seemed to go well. I saw the notification for preparing SD card, checking for errors and there was no dialog suggesting errors.

I was thinking about doing the fix to expand internal storage, so I went into Settings/Storage to see how much space I had. I set my TP aside while I was reading this thread and my screen timed out as usual after 2 minutes. When I pressed power to bring it back up, I got a FC message. This FC seems to be just in Settings/Storage and is repeatable. I get the FC whether my screen times out, or I press power to shut off the screen. I also tried bringing the screen back up with the "hard" home button and still get the FC.

It's not really a big deal because I'll hardly ever be in the storage screen but I figured I would let you know. Thanks.

Btw, I cleared data in settings but the issue still persists.

Edit: I'm not so sure that this wasn't already an issue with 3.5, maybe just a coincidence that I happened to see it after installing the fix???

Mike T

Edited by webdroidmt, 28 December 2011 - 03:48 PM.

• 0 Likes