Rate this Topic

114 votes

[Kernel][jb43] [v8.3, FINAL] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

• Please log in to reply

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:01 AM #6271

Is there a confirmation that the changes were applied, and how can we check what the current value is set to?

So to set the new threshold (say you want to set it to 70C):
echo 70000 > /sys/class/misc/tempcontrol/templimit

You can run this command just after setting the threshold to see if it succeeded:
dmesg

You should see something like this towards the end:
<6>[  144.499511] [imoseyon] TEMPCONTROL threshold changed to 70000

And to check the current value at any time:
cat /sys/class/misc/tempcontrol/templimit

0 means it's disabled.

Note that the kernel will not allow you to set temp lower than 50C or higher than 90C. Default stock value is 63C.

Edited by imoseyon, 10 March 2012 - 08:11 AM.

• 1 Likes

ExiledThemer

ExiledThemer

Android Master

• 896 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:04 AM #6272

one thing I have noticed with interactivex is if I am streaming music via music or Pandora...and using navigation. If I turn screen off ...when voice assistance chimes in...its super choppy speech. When I switch to interactive governor... it sounds fine.

I guess one core cannot handle media core and tts processes with screen off. Pretty much requires two cores

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

ExiledThemer

ExiledThemer

Android Master

• 896 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:06 AM #6273

Also with ix and screen on...no chopping.. only when one core is disabled. I wonder if hot plug does this. I would assume not.

• 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:10 AM #6274

one thing I have noticed with interactivex is if I am streaming music via music or Pandora...and using navigation. If I turn screen off ...when voice assistance chimes in...its super choppy speech. When I switch to interactive governor... it sounds fine.

I guess one core cannot handle media core and tts processes with screen off. Pretty much requires two cores

Also with ix and screen on...no chopping.. only when one core is disabled. I wonder if hot plug does this. I would assume not.

this is somewhat of a known problem with interactiveX, although I haven't encountered it myself...
  • 0 Likes

RickRom

RickRom

Android Lover

• 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:39 AM #6275

So to set the new threshold (say you want to set it to 70C):

echo 70000 > /sys/class/misc/tempcontrol/templimit

You can run this command just after setting the threshold to see if it succeeded:
dmesg

You should see something like this towards the end:
<6>[  144.499511] [imoseyon] TEMPCONTROL threshold changed to 70000

And to check the current value at any time:
cat /sys/class/misc/tempcontrol/templimit

0 means it's disabled.

Note that the kernel will not allow you to set temp lower than 50C or higher than 90C. Default stock value is 63C.

Ok, thanks... another question... why are the preset voltages so low in exp2? I just got a reboot, and now my phone booted up and is completely frozen now. Trying to get the last_kmsg, but it's frozen right now.
  • 0 Likes
Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE | Paranoid Android v2.XX | JB 4.1.2 | V.FF02 / FG02 | Leankernel v4.X.X | TWRP 2.3.1.0

Exodus

Exodus

Android Lover

• 114 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:58 AM #6276

Exiled, I think it is because you have two things running at once Nd they are both pulling down data and it is using a lot of power, I think it also might be due to 4g lte, in my opinion, try hotplugx and see if that works. I have streamed music and navigations before on my old droid eris and no problems, but that is because it was running overclock and only dealing with one radio vs our lte+CDMA radios. I hardly do navigation on my phone because I use the navigation in my car, but I always use it when I am out and about and there is traffic to check out what happened lol.
  • 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:11 AM #6277

Ok, thanks... another question... why are the preset voltages so low in exp2? I just got a reboot, and now my phone booted up and is completely frozen now. Trying to get the last_kmsg, but it's frozen right now.

Hmm which frequencies are you using? You should be safe as long as you stick to 350-1350...
  • 0 Likes

mozy420

mozy420

Android Lover

• 215 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:24 AM #6278

Awhile back I was experiencing that, too. Are you using setCPU or other utility to set freq?

has any one noticed that some kernels have really high battery usage? either wakelocks or not, while others don't (i'm talking within all the imo releases).  and also, some kernels "appear" to cause system/mediaserver wakelocks when there is zero sound playing... while others don't.  i'm not sure what is going on... so far it seems changing the kernel fixes it.. but i don't get it.  how on earth can mediaserver be burning through battery when nothing is playing or even remotely on.

also, i had the 2.4.1 notrim today, and the sleep seemed very nice.  but when i had the screen on, it just BURNED through the battery... even just texting with a black background.  and i go and see that the screen itself (at medium brightness) is about 70% of the battery, when it doesn't make sense given what i had been using.

hard to explain but it's true.   just the dark screen on.  not doing anything, and i could see the percentage tick away each minute or so.

i am on aokp m4.   the screen thing is new to me.  but the other things have happened on m3 also.   i have two LTE galaxy nexi to see this behaviour on (one is my wife's)

• 0 Likes

RickRom

RickRom

Android Lover

• 230 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:39 AM #6279

Hmm which frequencies are you using? You should be safe as long as you stick to 350-1350...

I had it set to 350 to 1650, and I got a reboot. When it started back up again, it froze on the homescreen before I coud raise it back to 1650.
  • 0 Likes
Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE | Paranoid Android v2.XX | JB 4.1.2 | V.FF02 / FG02 | Leankernel v4.X.X | TWRP 2.3.1.0

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:54 AM #6280

I had it set to 350 to 1650, and I got a reboot. When it started back up again, it froze on the homescreen before I coud raise it back to 1650.

bring it back down to 1520 and play with the voltage there until you're stable. Or just stick to 350-1350.
  • 0 Likes