[Kernel][jb43] [v8.3, FINAL] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

• Please log in to reply

abqnm

abqnm

Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:52 PM #3911

...I would be really interested in a hotplugX though:p

+1 more

If the adult beverages get the best of you and you reach the "Ballmer Peak" ;) then this could be a cool project. OK maybe it is cool from my point of view but still sounds nice. Hot plug for great screen on and forcing one CPU min-700 while sleeping.

Posted Image

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

Edited by abqnm, 11 February 2012 - 11:53 PM.

• 0 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Verizon Galaxy S3 (Left Verizon, so it is just a media device now)

Too many old Androids to list...

-Android user/abuser since December 2009-

clichename1221

clichename1221

• 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:01 AM #3912

iX always never wakes up from sleep. I can reboot it, turn the screen off, and have to reboot again (cycle continues) Hotplug always wakes up.
What could be wrong? It seems that I am alone for this issue.

This has been happening since 1.8/1.9 (can't remember), and I run exp builds.
  • 0 Likes

abqnm

abqnm

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:12 AM #3913

iX always never wakes up from sleep. I can reboot it, turn the screen off, and have to reboot again (cycle continues) Hotplug always wakes up.
What could be wrong? It seems that I am alone for this issue.

This has been happening since 1.8/1.9 (can't remember), and I run exp builds.

Are you running screen off profiles in SetCPU or similar app? If so, get rid of them. They will cause issues with hotplug/IX.

What ROM? Do you run custom undervolt? Try reverting. Do you use the 180 or 230 slots? Try 350. Both of those can cause this. Also, what sort of changes have you made to your ROM since it was working? Upgraded ROMs? Added MODs?

Have you tried wiping cache and dalvik cache? That clears up a lot of random issues that can pop up.

Appended: If none of the above work, it could be either the phone doesn't like it or you may need to try a full wipe of your ROM or test a different ROM to see if your phone will handle it.

Edited by abqnm, 12 February 2012 - 12:14 AM.

• 0 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Verizon Galaxy S3 (Left Verizon, so it is just a media device now)

Mr. Steve

Mr. Steve

That one guy...

• 434 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:22 AM #3914

Even more complicated request, can we get HotplugX but with the scaling that is used in Interactive; so I guess you could call it InteractiveHotplugX...

Edited by Mr. Steve, 12 February 2012 - 12:22 AM.

• 0 Likes

Current:
Google Nexus 4 running MMuzzy's French Vanilla AOSP (Jan 12); Franco's r53 kernel; TWRP 2.3.3.2

Google Nexus 7 running MMuzzy's French Vanilla AOSP (Jan 13); Franco's r41 kernel;

Retired: Galaxy Nexus (CDMA), Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid

abqnm

abqnm

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:03 AM #3915

Even more complicated request, can we get HotplugX but with the scaling that is used in Interactive; so I guess you could call it InteractiveHotplugX...

You can tweak the sysfs values of hotplug to obtain similar results to interactive but then you lose some of the battery savings of hotplug scaling (which is just like ondemand). It will still disable CPU1 as set though. Imoseyon listed the tunables in this post:

Android38 asked me about tunable options for hotplug governor now that it's more or less stable:

(This is for advanced users who are comfortable messing with sysfs)

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/hotplug

down_differential
down_threshold
hotplug_in_sampling_periods
hotplug_out_sampling_periods
ignore_nice_load
io_is_busy
sampling_rate
up_threshold

All of the above are tunable - some are fairly obvious based on file names, some are not. :)

io_is_busy is one I would leave at 0, as that from what I can understand, changing setting that (to 1) will allow the OS to shut off CPU1 when in the middle of a disk read or write operation and that seems like it could have the potential for data loss.

up_threshold is the percent of max load at the current frequency step before it ramps to maximum speed.

down_threshold is the percent of load that the system has to drop down to before it will scale down a step. (From what I understand this is a range that is determined by the down_differential to allow for minor fluctuations. For example if you have down_differential set at 10 and down_threshold set to 30 and your load is jumping between 28 and 32 it would still scale down as you wouldn't want it to keep jumping back up.)

sampling_rate is how frequently in µs (1x10`^-6 or .000001 seconds) the governor will check for CPU load. The faster it is (lower number) the more responsive it will be at the sacrifice of battery life.

hotplug_out_sampling_periods is how many samples of the sampling_rate show low enough load to disable CPU1.

hotplug_in_sampling periods is the same as above but how many periods before it turns CPU1 back on.

ignore_nice_load would from what I understand ignore all process priority and give all processes equal priority. I wouldn't recommend changing this, but you can play with it, but you may get undesired results.

If you don't tweak these with a script, you can tweak them on the fly with terminal or even a text editor. If something causes issues just reboot and the settings will be reverted. With these settings you can really tune hotplug to your liking as far as performance vs. battery.

So... If hotplugX could be made it could be tuned to scale very close to Interactive. I know it would not quite be InteractiveHotplugX, but it could operate similar (assuming if imo makes it and he makes it tunable with sysfs). Also the values can be set in init scripts so they can set at boot if you find a good combl.

I know that is more than you asked, but there are so many things you can do that most people don't know exist since they can be not only hidden but a bit technical.

imoseyon, if you see anything I got wrong, feel free to correct me.

Edited by abqnm, 12 February 2012 - 01:05 AM.

• 3 Likes

sefirosu

sefirosu

Supporting Member

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:30 AM #3916

Just flashed this kernel earlier today and I'm so glad I did. I've more than doubled my battery life. Thanks for the great work!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

ridobe

ridobe

Shut up and wipe

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:37 AM #3917

I have always used iX on the latest exp builds, 350/1350, no additional uv, zram/swap enabled. However, since hotplug became stable, it's become my default.
  • 0 Likes

cdmta

cdmta

Android Lover

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:47 AM #3918

Loving this lkflash method. If you haven't upgraded with this, you need to try it-pretty slick.
I do wish there was a way (tell me if there is) for it not to download the latest if you are already on it. It should check your current kernel. Or maybe show a list of available kernels to choose from.
  • 0 Likes

abqnm

abqnm

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:21 AM #3919

Loving this lkflash method. If you haven't upgraded with this, you need to try it-pretty slick.
I do wish there was a way (tell me if there is) for it not to download the latest if you are already on it. It should check your current kernel. Or maybe show a list of available kernels to choose from.

Agreed that this would be nice. At the very least just show the filename of the kernel after you choose which one you want to download and then ask for confirmation. Or ask for confirmation after downloading before it hits the dd step to flash the img.
  • 0 Likes

dwang

dwang

• 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:09 AM #3920

Getting superb deep sleep battery life. 5 hours and still at 100% w 1.10exp2.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1329051856027.png
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329051867722.png

• 0 Likes