114 votes

[Kernel][jb43] [v8.3, FINAL] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

• Please log in to reply

Exodus

Exodus

Android Lover

• 114 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:53 PM #3411

The Noop I/O Scheduler is the one that lou uses in his defiant v3 kernel. IMO should look in to it.
  • 0 Likes

kidserious

kidserious

Super User

• 423 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:06 PM #3412

The Noop I/O Scheduler is the one that lou uses in his defiant v3 kernel. IMO should look in to it.

Well, I use voltage control and it has noop as one of the choices for the scheduler for LeanKernel. Now whether it's an older version than the one you're talking about, I don't know.

sent by a Scumbag Kanger

Edited by kidserious, 04 February 2012 - 01:08 PM.

• 0 Likes
Sent by a Scumbag Kanger who gets 3 days battery life on 1 charge in Airplane mode

abqnm

abqnm

Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:11 PM #3413

Noop is already in the kernel. Deadline is default though. You can set noop with an app like NoFrills CPU among others.

Noop is also not new. It is actually the oldest (or nearly) Linux I/O scheduler I believe. IIRC, noop merges all read/write requests on adjacent blocks. It does nothing fancy. This is fine since most other I/O schedulers are optimized for spindle hard drives which have seek latency and slow random read/writes. Since SD does not have this problem and there is less need to put I/O requests in an optimal order, just the basic schedulers work fine. Deadline is just noop with a set of time limits for read/write operations so that one single I/O operation can't lock down the I/O forever. Noop should give performance benefits as long as you don't have a large amount of simultaneous read/write operations. Those could start to starve the system a bit on noop if it gets backed up. Deadline just watches over things a bit to make sure traffic flows smoothly, per se. Both are good for SD so try them both and see which works better in practice for you. Benchmarks will almost certainly prove noop to be the performance leader under ideal circumstances but deadline will likely work a bit better in real usage.

Imoseyon if you disagree or have anything to add to that, feel free.

Edit: Since posting this 1.9.0 was released with changes to the deadline scheduler which actually has improved performance and it is actually benchmarking comparable to noop while still maintaining the benefits of the deadline.

Edited by abqnm, 04 February 2012 - 02:22 PM.

• 3 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Verizon Galaxy S3 (Left Verizon, so it is just a media device now)

Too many old Androids to list...

-Android user/abuser since December 2009-

abqnm

abqnm

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:14 PM #3414

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to this rooting business, but I've flashed my phone with the kernel and I'm running AOKP 21 w/ Tangerine theme right now. Adjusted my voltages as I've seen others do on here and i'm currently running 1350 MHz/1175 mV, 1200/1075, 920/975, 700/875, 350/775 and running an interactiveX governor on it. I've definitely seen an increase in my battery but after looking at the usage of whats draining my battery, and it seems as though my kernel is sucking an enormous amount of power (which is strange to me since this is a lean kernel).

What could the reason behind this be? I figured it could possible be that either A. I've done something wrong and its just sucking a ton of power because of this. Or, just that the power use of everything else is so low and hence why its so much higher in comparison.

I took a screenshot of it, any idea?

>Edited Picture Out for Size<

That is normal. The kernel runs everything on your phone so it will be up there. It will depend on what is syncing, google voice, gmail, etc. It also depends on what is being backed up, if anything, and many other normal operations and vital processes.

Edit again: Based on those numbers, your kernel used 2.23% out of the 26% already used in your screenshot so that means everything else used 23.77% out of that 26%. I would go look at your screen. I bet that is eating you battery the most. The screen will use ~10x the power at full brightness as it does at low brightness, i.e. you will use the same amount of battery at 6 minutes on max as 60 minutes on the lowest brightness.

Edited by abqnm, 04 February 2012 - 01:19 PM.

• 2 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Verizon Galaxy S3 (Left Verizon, so it is just a media device now)

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:36 PM #3415

leanKernel 1.9.0
  • removed more unnecessary components for leaner kernel
  • lkflash kernel updater script (open terminal, type "su" without quotes and hit enter, and then type "lkflash" without quotes and hit enter)
  • RCU updated to Linux 3.3-rc2 (latest), including some power consumption enhancements
  • Hotplug fix (try hotplug and iX governors again if you were experiencing SoDs in the past)
  • a few other minor backports: watchdog, fuse, etc.
  • deadline scheduler tweaks and a few other filesystem tweaks.
  • a couple of suspend fixes from linux-omap

Edited by imoseyon, 05 February 2012 - 03:09 PM.

• 4 Likes

cbear

cbear

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:43 PM #3416

That is normal. The kernel runs everything on your phone so it will be up there. It will depend on what is syncing, google voice, gmail, etc. It also depends on what is being backed up, if anything, and many other normal operations and vital processes.

Edit again: Based on those numbers, your kernel used 2.23% out of the 26% already used in your screenshot so that means everything else used 23.77% out of that 26%. I would go look at your screen. I bet that is eating you battery the most. The screen will use ~10x the power at full brightness as it does at low brightness, i.e. you will use the same amount of battery at 6 minutes on max as 60 minutes on the lowest brightness.

Thanks for the information, that really clears things up. Regarding my screen, I have it set on the dimmest settings, and it was the other large usage of battery, something like 50%~, and I know its down a bit because I was on the phone quite a bit this morning. More or less, I was trying to figure out if this was normal.

Thanks again.
  • 0 Likes

Exodus

Exodus

Android Lover

• 114 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:49 PM #3417

funny how abqnm was talking about deadline scheduler a minute ago and them IMO added it. Coincidence?

1.0.9 is a screamer!!!! It is fast as hell!!

Edited by Exodus, 04 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

• 0 Likes

mightybrick

mightybrick

Super User

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:55 PM #3418

funny how abqnm was talking about deadline scheduler a minute ago and them IMO added it. Coincidence?

IMO didn't add it, he updated it. It has always been there.
  • 0 Likes

abqnm

abqnm

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:55 PM #3419

He didn't add it. It has been there all along. It was just an update to the deadline scheduler.
  • 0 Likes

jakebites

jakebites

Developer

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:56 PM #3420

Well I figure since your already flashing the new kernel, why not flash the new leantweaks too? :)
v6.1:
-Fixed the min/max typo in the frequency menu
-Added 920 MHz as a max frequency at boot option for those that like to underclock

Enjoy!

http://rootzwiki.com...erneltweaks-61/

Edited by jakebites, 04 February 2012 - 01:56 PM.

• 1 Likes
PSN: LoveLESSjake
^ add me for Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 :D ^