Rate this Topic

114 votes

[Kernel][jb43] [v8.3, FINAL] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

• Please log in to reply

dpaine88

dpaine88

Android Lover

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:58 PM #3111

Hey IMO, I just found this little tidbit which is an email from a Google Dev Colin Cross sent to Fransico Franco(another kernel dev) in regards to the GPU overclock.

Most GPU workloads on 4460 with a 720p screen are limited by the
memory bandwidth, not the GPU computation ability (which is fairly
linear with clock speed). With the GPU at 307 MHz, the core is at
OPP100, the and the memory bus is at full speed. At 384 MHz, the core
is at OPP_100_OV, which raises the core voltage (not counting
SmartReflex) from 1.127V to 1.25V, causing a huge increase in power
usage. Without the GPU, the core is almost always running at OPP100
when under load, because CPU OPP100 (700 MHz) requires core OPP100.
That means scaling the GPU from 150MHz to 307MHz costs very little in
terms of power. Nothing else in the chip requires core OPP100_OV, so
scaling the GPU to 384MHz is a pure power hit for very little (or no)

performance gain

• 2 Likes
The best there is, Liquid JB and LeanKernel

Cblox

Cblox

Average Android

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:32 PM #3112

Curious as to which version you are running?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A bit late, but 1.7.3 stable
  • 1 Likes
If you see what you like, then Like what you see.

egeorgia

egeorgia

Android Apprentice

• 203 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:14 PM #3113

I know, I know, another battery post, but man I have really noticed a difference on 1.8. Standard battery. So far 9 hours and still at 70%. Regular use and streamed I heart radio for an hour.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:25 PM #3114

Hey IMO, I just found this little tidbit which is an email from a Google Dev Colin Cross sent to Fransico Franco(another kernel dev) in regards to the GPU overclock.

Thanks for posting that. Yeah in my kernel i'm running 384mhz at OPP100 (instead of OPP100_OV) so we're safe there. I do want to double check the other entires in my OPP table to make sure they're in-line with what Colin says. Colin's actually the Google kernel developer that works on smartreflex, C4, etc., and he's also the one who recommended me not to tweak the C4 state due to stability issues arising from mucking with it. That's the reason why you don't see the C4 state tweak in my kernels.

Also, I just wanted to comment on a posting from KaosMcRage a while back (in fact, if he didn't PM me i would have never seen that post). I had him do some more controlled testing using Linnpack and Antutu and the second set of test results from KaosMcRage actually showed that performance-wise Franco and my kernels were pretty much equal. Having said that, I do not shy away from recommending other kernels to people. Franco's a great guy and he likes to add lots of bells and whistles to his kernels (he's got tons of time that guy haha). My approach is almost the opposite of that. I definitely encourage you guys to try other kernels and stick to what you like the best. Ezekeel's another great developer who does some non-conventional stuff to his kernels.

Edited by imoseyon, 30 January 2012 - 04:27 PM.

• 3 Likes

wKovacs64

wKovacs64

Kind of a Big Deal

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:33 PM #3115

Thanks for taking a look at it, imoseyon. Glad we were able to generate more data. Much more beneficial to the community than the hostile response my post received from some of the forum trolls here.
  • 0 Likes

gonzlobo

gonzlobo

Crackflasher

• 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:35 PM #3116

Love me some 1.8.0ex2-230! I'm at 7hrs @ 65% (lighter than usual use). 60% of that time was in deep sleep. I don't know what deep sleep is, but it sips battery. My old Droid incredible would eat a full charge in 6hrs.
  • 0 Likes
- GN
- JB Kangs

Character Zero

Character Zero

Android Beginner

• 117 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:55 PM #3117

Thanks for posting that. Yeah in my kernel i'm running 384mhz at OPP100 (instead of OPP100_OV) so we're safe there. I do want to double check the other entires in my OPP table to make sure they're in-line with what Colin says. Colin's actually the Google kernel developer that works on smartreflex, C4, etc., and he's also the one who recommended me not to tweak the C4 state due to stability issues arising from mucking with it. That's the reason why you don't see the C4 state tweak in my kernels.

Also, I just wanted to comment on a posting from KaosMcRage a while back (in fact, if he didn't PM me i would have never seen that post). I had him do some more controlled testing using Linnpack and Antutu and the second set of test results from KaosMcRage actually showed that performance-wise Franco and my kernels were pretty much equal. Having said that, I do not shy away from recommending other kernels to people. Franco's a great guy and he likes to add lots of bells and whistles to his kernels (he's got tons of time that guy haha). My approach is almost the opposite of that. I definitely encourage you guys to try other kernels and stick to what you like the best. Ezekeel's another great developer who does some non-conventional stuff to his kernels.

Its nice to see that the actual Google devs converse with the community and offer some insight into some of thier (Google's) software decisions and why they make sense.
  • 0 Likes

gnarlsagan

gnarlsagan

• 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:18 PM #3118

Hey imo how can I get color control changes to stick? I prefer -5 0 -2 over the stock -10 0 -2 but it reverts after every reboot.
  • 0 Likes

cpa10

cpa10

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:27 PM #3119

using 1.8EXP2 , hot plug is 100% stable on my phone , greatest build so far

Edited by cpa10, 30 January 2012 - 07:28 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:36 PM #3120

Hey imo how can I get color control changes to stick? I prefer -5 0 -2 over the stock -10 0 -2 but it reverts after every reboot.

Yikes, you need a init.d script to make that stick. First your ROM must support init.d (ie. proper busybox support). And then you need to create a file in /system/etc/init.d, that basically sets those values. Lastly you need to make the file executable.
  • 0 Likes