Rate this Topic

114 votes

[Kernel][jb43] [v8.3, FINAL] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

• Please log in to reply

Skeeter

Skeeter

If it ain't broke, Flash it!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:26 AM #10261

For those that don't want to use Jake's leantweaks, here is an up to date list of scripts for use in terminal:

http://rootzwiki.com...600#entry649976
  • 0 Likes
My Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S3: Testing all
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: LiquidSmooth Rom

mozy420

mozy420

Android Lover

• 215 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:49 AM #10262

You can check CPU1 status by looking at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online. If it is 0 when screen is on then you have a problem, posting results of dmesg might help then.

Thanks! It was indeed @ 0.

Although not recommended, I was using 3rd party app to set min/max/volt/gov settings (cpu tuner). Even when cpu tuner was set to "don't enable settings at boot, it would somehow break hotplugX when I opened the app. The work around was to deny SU privileges to CPU tuner and now I use leantweaks for those settings. I use CPU Tuner just to monitor settings now. When I view the cpu1/online settings, it's 1. I'm not sure how it interferes with other governor settings, but to be on the safe side, I'll continue to use LT and Imo's Lean Kernel scripts to make changes.
  • 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:30 AM #10263

I don't understand how sr vmin works. If I set a value this value will be the lowest point that Sr can go or the selected unit will ran at the exact voltage??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SmartReflex, despite the name, is not all that smart when it comes to really low voltages and really high voltages. In order to prevent SR from calibrating to unsafe voltages, TI set upper and lower boundaries in the kernel. Default limits in the kernel are: 1) VDDMIN - 830mV for all three domains, 2) VDDMAX - 1410mV for MPU, 1260mV for IVA, and 1200mV for CORE.

Custom SR Tuning v1 allows you to independently override the kernel defaults for the lower limits. Majority of the phones out there can handle MPU voltage lower than 830mV it turns out, but the real motivation for this feature is to give you a way to further undervolt or overvolt IVA (audio/video compression module) and CORE (GPU, etc.) using SR.
  • 0 Likes

simonbarsinistr

simonbarsinistr

Super User

• 467 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:34 AM #10264

Thanks! It was indeed @ 0.

Although not recommended, I was using 3rd party app to set min/max/volt/gov settings (cpu tuner). Even when cpu tuner was set to "don't enable settings at boot, it would somehow break hotplugX when I opened the app. The work around was to deny SU privileges to CPU tuner and now I use leantweaks for those settings. I use CPU Tuner just to monitor settings now. When I view the cpu1/online settings, it's 1. I'm not sure how it interferes with other governor settings, but to be on the safe side, I'll continue to use LT and Imo's Lean Kernel scripts to make changes.

I was looking into this on my phone, noticing that cpu1 was also at zero with the screen on at times. After rereading the info on hotplugx, I believe thats normal operation. Imo has it tweaked to turn off a core if the load is low enough, even with the screen on. Ix, on the other hand, is just a tweaked interactive governor with hotplugging ability with the screen off.

Tapped from my unicorn'd Gnex
  • 1 Likes

Mr. Steve

Mr. Steve

That one guy...

• 434 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:55 AM #10265

On 3.5.0exp6 I set all three of the smartreflex systems to a vmin of 700mHz. (Only MPU will stick after a reboot). So far nothing out of the ordinary has happened...
  • 0 Likes

Current:
Google Nexus 4 running MMuzzy's French Vanilla AOSP (Jan 12); Franco's r53 kernel; TWRP 2.3.3.2

Google Nexus 7 running MMuzzy's French Vanilla AOSP (Jan 13); Franco's r41 kernel;

Retired: Galaxy Nexus (CDMA), Motorola Droid 2, Motorola Droid

execute.method

execute.method

Nutshell

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:55 AM #10266

SmartReflex, despite the name, is not all that smart when it comes to really low voltages and really high voltages. In order to prevent SR from calibrating to unsafe voltages, TI set upper and lower boundaries in the kernel. Default limits in the kernel are: 1) VDDMIN - 830mV for all three domains, 2) VDDMAX - 1410mV for MPU, 1260mV for IVA, and 1200mV for CORE.

Custom SR Tuning v1 allows you to independently override the kernel defaults for the lower limits. Majority of the phones out there can handle MPU voltage lower than 830mV it turns out, but the real motivation for this feature is to give you a way to further undervolt or overvolt IVA (audio/video compression module) and CORE (GPU, etc.) using SR.

What is the process to properly set up SR?
Set MPU vmin, then run calibration?

I noticed that after I set the MPU to 700000 then calibration script set 810000 for the lowest clock slot.

Do we need some type of calibration for CORE and IVA?

If using Jake's script and set Undervolt Values there, does it have an effect on SR (as max voltage) or are the static values only used when SR is off?

Btw, love your work. I've been on your kernel since the T-bolt days. Thanks kernel bawse.

Sent from my (*) using Tapafux.
  • 0 Likes

mozy420

mozy420

Android Lover

• 215 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:57 AM #10267

I was looking into this on my phone, noticing that cpu1 was also at zero with the screen on at times. After rereading the info on hotplugx, I believe thats normal operation. Imo has it tweaked to turn off a core if the load is low enough, even with the screen on. Ix, on the other hand, is just a tweaked interactive governor with hotplugging ability with the screen off.

Tapped from my unicorn'd Gnex

Yes I agree.However, I will monitor cpu and watch it scale down to one cpu.. but I do at least observe it using both CPU under load. But after opening up CPU Tuner, the second CPU(1) would stay offline. In other words. the problem I was experiencing before was that CPU 1 was NOT enabling under any circumstances. Before discovering how CPU tuner was interfering with some of my gov settings, benchmarks were around~2300).. after denying cpu tuner access, I'm not now getting around ~3300 using hX :)

Thanks for input!

Edited by mozy420, 13 May 2012 - 09:12 AM.

• 1 Likes

ashclepdia

ashclepdia

Android Beginner

• 779 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:14 AM #10268

What would be a reason to overvolt iva?
Isn't that high risk for causing damage?
Just wondering, i trying to learn what repercussions are for things like that.
For example, could over volting the iva help to stop the music stutter issues i was encountering once in a while?

Also curious on your settings for those types of things imoseyon, or do you just use the set values you package the kernel with, i know all devices react differently but I'm just looking for some reference points...
Thanks for any info, and for all your work, you are a kernel making machine

From my nexus tappin the talk
<edit post successful>

Edited by ashclepdia, 13 May 2012 - 08:16 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:21 AM #10269

What is the process to properly set up SR?
Set MPU vmin, then run calibration?

I noticed that after I set the MPU to 700000 then calibration script set 810000 for the lowest clock slot.

Do we need some type of calibration for CORE and IVA?

If using Jake's script and set Undervolt Values there, does it have an effect on SR (as max voltage) or are the static values only used when SR is off?

Btw, love your work. I've been on your kernel since the T-bolt days. Thanks kernel bawse.

Sent from my (*) using Tapafux.

Actually setting VMIN automatically restarts the calibration. I should add that to the post.

What would be a reason to overvolt iva?
Isn't that high risk for causing damage?
Just wondering, i trying to learn what repercussions are for things like that.
For example, could over volting the iva help to stop the music stutter issues i was encountering once in a while?

Also curious on your settings for those types of things imoseyon, or do you just use the set values you package the kernel with, i know all devices react differently but I'm just looking for some reference points...
Thanks for any info, and for all your work, you are a kernel making machine

From my nexus tappin the talk
<edit post successful>

I don't see any reason to *overvolt* IVA, but some of you may want to overvolt CORE for GPU overclocking to 512Mhz to work reliably.
  • 1 Likes

gotwillk

gotwillk

Super User

• 430 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:08 AM #10270

so i dont have to do any more custom tweaking of the SR if i dont want to right? its good to go right out the box?
  • 0 Likes