Rate this Topic

5 votes

Getting back on the OTA update path

• Please log in to reply

OP Droid Commando

Droid Commando

• 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:34 PM #1

Unwittingly, I took the the 893 leak back when cheesecake was all the rage. I knocked myself off the OTA path and would like to get myself back on so I can get ICS when the time comes.

My current setup:

Posted Image

What I know:
-Kernel - It is impossible to update the kernel unless you have signed moto zip. Unfortunately, the signed moto zip checks to make sure everything matches stock versions. However, from what I have seen on the internet - my kernel matches that of the official 8.5.893 update, thankfully.

-Radio - radio can be updated with an unsigned zip. Unfortunately, the official 8.5.893 update's last two numbers is 01 and not 02, so I will need to acquire a zip that contains it. Anyone know of any I could flash?

-System - My system is on 886 because I'm running Liberty. Out of everything here, it seems to easiest to change through clockwork. Does anyone know of a stock 5.5.893 zip that's out there?

If I can get all those values to match, I should be good for the new 901 OTA update, correct?

Thanks for your help.
  • 0 Likes

Timmy10shoes

Timmy10shoes

Android Admirer

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:49 PM #2

your kernel is the leaked version, no way back to offical update path.
  • 0 Likes
Sent from above

OP Droid Commando

Droid Commando

• 90 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:55 PM #3

your kernel is the leaked version, no way back to offical update path.

This is supposedly the official update system info screen:

http://www.droidforu...ta-moto-am.html

The Kernel version matches.
  • 0 Likes

vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:29 AM #4

this is extremely risky but I have done it with success.... edit the xml file in the fxz to remove cdt.bin, boot.img and recovery.img. then restore using the rest of the FXZ. boot your system, temp root it, dd the boot img (i think its block 15, please CHECK tho to be sure), reboot... you will get a validation failure. Don't worry. Reboot in to recovery. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DD the recovery. Also, please make sure you are on STOCK recovery. then apply the 5.5.893 update zip. it WILL work as you DO have the stock boot img. You should then have a booting system again. After this, you will be back on the official upgrade path. If you intend to root, apply forever root BEFORE you dd the boot img.
  • 2 Likes
Remember - Remain respectful to others as you would wish to be treated.
Please read the RULES before posting.

OP Droid Commando

Droid Commando

• 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:49 PM #5

this is extremely risky but I have done it with success.... edit the xml file in the fxz to remove cdt.bin, boot.img and recovery.img. then restore using the rest of the FXZ. boot your system, temp root it, dd the boot img (i think its block 15, please CHECK tho to be sure), reboot... you will get a validation failure. Don't worry. Reboot in to recovery. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DD the recovery. Also, please make sure you are on STOCK recovery. then apply the 5.5.893 update zip. it WILL work as you DO have the stock boot img. You should then have a booting system again. After this, you will be back on the official upgrade path. If you intend to root, apply forever root BEFORE you dd the boot img.

What does "dd" mean?
  • 0 Likes

ussj4brolli

ussj4brolli

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:53 PM #6

Do you think you could Make this a step by step? Maybe even make a new thread for it, this could be a break threw, and help with so much now and to come!
  • 0 Likes

vinylfreak89

vinylfreak89

Developer

• 140 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:34 PM #7

baaah... i wrote that while i was at work. I'll make a step by step tomorrow. just a little note... please understand what you are doing before you do it. If you don't know what a dd is you probably shouldn't be doing this. It is very tedious, and screwing up will lead to a semi perma brick (or if u flash to the wrong partition... worse). I did this as a last resort and it is not for the faint of heart.
  • 2 Likes
Remember - Remain respectful to others as you would wish to be treated.
Please read the RULES before posting.

closer

closer

• 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:49 PM #8

baaah... i wrote that while i was at work. I'll make a step by step tomorrow. just a little note... please understand what you are doing before you do it. If you don't know what a dd is you probably shouldn't be doing this. It is very tedious, and screwing up will lead to a semi perma brick (or if u flash to the wrong partition... worse). I did this as a last resort and it is not for the faint of heart.

Many of us would appreciate the guide. I'm sure plenty of us are familiar with dd and understand the risks, but would still like a guide to how you accomplished this. Thanks for taking the time.
  • 1 Likes

FenixJr

FenixJr

Android Lover

• 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:26 PM #9

I was in a similar predicament, however, I'm at 5.8.894. But after some more playing i had ended up with the Stock Bandband. I believe the way the updates work is: it will proceed with the update if you have the stock kernal, or the kernal it's supposed to update to. So, you should be able to go back to stock with Released and 43v3r root. Then flash the stock radio.zip. Then from there, since you have the matching kernal for 5.5.893, apply the update for 5.5.893. You may be missing the zumocast file, and it will give you an error. Which you just have to place the file in the right place (/preinstall/app)

EDIT: If you're interested in trying this i can elaborate on it.

Edited by FenixJr, 21 December 2011 - 08:36 PM.

• 2 Likes

migdroidbionic

migdroidbionic

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:28 PM #10

Well it worked for me.
I was running the latests theory tpax did a full wipe in boostrap recovery. Did not install any rom.
Then used forever root option 1
Restore image... some error at wipe time but simple unplug and plug back solved it.
Then booted change setting to root
Rooted and did the 1st ota.
Worked like a charm
Then used the newest update from droid-life in stock recovery.
Updated and rooted is kept.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes