• Please log in to reply

masri1987

masri1987

Incognito

• 1,164 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:37 PM #11

Making backup first Lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Edited by masri1987, 19 December 2011 - 01:38 PM.

• 0 Likes

gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Android Apprentice

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:56 PM #12

This kernel is running amazing android os has dropped significantly as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  • 0 Likes

OP faux123

faux123

Kernel Haxor

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:57 PM #13

It seemed with the OMAP architecture, the kernel needs to be matched to the userspace side, that's why 4.0.1 kernels won't work with 4.0.2/3 system images and 4.0.3 kernels won't work with older 4.0.1/2 system images. In the download section I have specified to only 4.0.3 images. I will update my thread info/title.

Sorry to break the news to you, as cool as coolbho3k is, his patches for CPU OC and UV both have problems, I originally used his patches in my older releases I have since reverted them both.

Coolbho3k's CPU OC has issues with 1.4 GHz... I have implemented my own @ 1.35 using different settings. My teammates have tested my version and it does not have any of the slow down lag issues at the highest speed.
Coolbho3k's CPU UV has issues as well. When you undervolt below min core vdd, the Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaler (DVFS) will report error and stall thus not scaling down to lowest possible OPP state (this can be verified by all the errors in dmesg log). Once you stalled DVFS, all the benefits from Undervolt is immediately wiped out because you are stuck at a higher frequency. For now I have implemented my own undervolt which pre-UV @ -100mv across the board and again this has been tested under various conditions and it's been rock solid (no DVFS stalls).

I will address BOTH issues further with my subsequent releases.

As for as 4.0.2 compatibility, Google has skipped over 4.0.2 kernel source and released the absolute latest 4.0.3 (which includes 4.0.2 updates), so unless someone point out to me the exact patches needed for 4.0.2, there's nothing I can do for it. Either update to 4.0.3 using some unofficial AOSP builds by all these wonderful ROM developers or wait for Google to update to 4.0.3 officially.

Edited by faux123, 19 December 2011 - 02:31 PM.

• 3 Likes

houseboatwayne

houseboatwayne

Android Apprentice

• 183 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:03 PM #14

Try antutu or cf bench quadrant standard hasn't been updated for this device.

I'll give them a try thanks.

• 0 Likes

dajmanjt

dajmanjt

Android Beginner

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:04 PM #15

thanks much faux123... your info about the kernel itself was enough to sell me. I will be upgrading to 4.03 to try out your kernel soon. do you have another update coming soon? if so i will wait for it before going to 4.03 asop.... enjoy my 4.02 only mods for another day lol

Edited by dajmanjt, 19 December 2011 - 02:04 PM.

• 0 Likes

icanhazdroid

icanhazdroid

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:04 PM #16

As stated in the OP:

USB Gadget/OTG dual mode support (Mass Storage won't work, but peripherals such as mouse/keyboard will work)

Is this something we should worry about?
  • 0 Likes

OP faux123

faux123

Kernel Haxor

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:13 PM #17

As stated in the OP:

USB Gadget/OTG dual mode support (Mass Storage won't work, but peripherals such as mouse/keyboard will work)

Is this something we should worry about?

No, it's only when you use the OTG functionality. Google has disabled OTG mass storage capability (USB Sticks, harddrive etc) at the last second right before release of ICS. It probably conflicts with their decision to use MTP/PTP for internal storage. Not sure when OTG Mass Storage will be restored by Google, I am sure they have their reasons.
  • 0 Likes

OP faux123

faux123

Kernel Haxor

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:16 PM #18

thanks much faux123... your info about the kernel itself was enough to sell me. I will be upgrading to 4.03 to try out your kernel soon. do you have another update coming soon? if so i will wait for it before going to 4.03 asop.... enjoy my 4.02 only mods for another day lol

Probably not any time soon. My kernels have been tested quite extensively internally by my teammates. Right now there are no major breakage or missing functionalities. I have brought some of the latest technologies from Linux-Next into this kernel and introduced quite a few enhancements and fixed bugs (CPU OC/UV). It is quite stable... I am currently researching on more advanced OC/UV capability for GPU/CPU plus additional patches from Linux-Next... but those won't be available for public consumption for a while.
  • 1 Likes

JWellington

JWellington

Android Lover

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:18 PM #19

It seemed with the OMAP architecture, the kernel needs to be matched to the userspace side, that's why 4.0.1 kernels won't work with 4.0.2/3 system images and 4.0.3 kernels won't work with older 4.0.1/2 system images. In the download section I have specified to only 4.0.3 images. I will update my thread info/title.

Sorry to break the news to you, as cool as coolbho3k is, his patches for CPU OC and UV both have problems, I originally used his patches in my older releases I have since reverted them both.

Coolbho3k's CPU OC has issues with 1.4 GHz... I have implemented my own @ 1.35 using different settings. My teammates have tested my version and it does not have any of the slow down lag issues at the highest speed.
Coolbho3k's CPU UV has issues as well. When you undervolt below min core vdd, the Dynamic Voltage Frequency Scaler (DVFS) will report error and stall thus not scaling down to lowest possible OPP state (this can be verified by all the errors in dmesg log). Once you stalled DVFS, all the benefits from Undervolt is immediately wiped out because you are stuck at a higher frequency. For now I have implemented my own undervolt which pre-UV @ -100mv across the board and again this has been tested under various conditions and it's been rock solid (no DVFS stalls).

I will address BOTH issues with my subsequent releases.

As for as 4.0.2 compatibility, Google has skipped over 4.0.2 kernel source and released the absolute latest 4.0.3 (which includes 4.0.2 updates), so unless someone point out to me the exact patches needed for 4.0.2, there's nothing I can do for it. Either update to 4.0.3 using some unofficial AOSP builds by all these wonderful ROM developers or wait for Google to update to 4.0.3 officially.

A true knowledgeable developer. I thank you for the clarifications.
  • 0 Likes

masri1987

masri1987

Incognito

• 1,164 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:19 PM #20

lol yay!! let me know how the test goes... ill praying it does work

Didn't work

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner
  • 0 Likes