- - - - -

[How-To] [Windows] Install TWRP 2.0 on your Kindle Fire

Kindle Fire TeamWin TWRP
  • Please log in to reply

OP Pyrostic

Pyrostic

• 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:37 AM #1

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE RISKS IN FLASHING THIS.
  • You may lose Fastboot and ADB access if it is not flashed correctly (and maybe even if it is)
  • You may lose functionality to receive OTA updates from Amazon
  • You will be able to flash custom ROMS and kernels using TWRP
  • Neither I or Team Win are responsible for anything that you flash on your devices. You do this accepting the risks
Hello, I'm Pyrostic and I volunteered to test TWRP 2.0 for the Kindle Fire. I hope the following tutorial helps you:

READ EVERYTHING and at least until page 3 and the last few pages in this thread before you continue.

Download the following file and place it in the location of your "fastboot" file. (mine is located in platform-tools because I figured it would be easier to start commands for ADB and Fastboot from the same prompt)

twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img

Right Click+shift the folder where your twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img file is located (along with ADB and Fastboot) and click Open Command Window Here:

Execute the commands below from this command prompt with your Kindle connected to the PC.

adb shell
idme bootmode 4002
exit
fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img

your command window should state that it is <waiting for device> (if it doesn't instantly reboot itself). If the device doesn't reboot immediately hold the power button on the bottom of your device until it turns off. Then power it on. You should see some on screen signage and then the installing of TWRP 2.0 and the FIREFIREFIRE Bootloader.

AFTER it is done and the REBOOT option shows up. Open up a command prompt from your platform-tools folder.

type the following

adb shell
idme bootmode 4000
reboot

your device should reboot into the OS

From now on:
tapping power repeatedly during boot up will bring you into TWRP 2.0
not doing anything during boot up will bring you to your OS

For those of you that are still stuck on the yellow triangle:

Thanks to rwphwp:

Add the vendor ID 0x18d1 and
%SingleAdbInterface%			= USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100
%CompositeAdbInterface%  = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0100&MI_01

to the android_winusb.inf (PID came from properties/detail under device manager)

If you LOVE TWRP 2.0 on your Kindle Fire. I suggest donating to @agrabren (<--- donation link) for his hard work and thanking me here for my testing :android-smile: .

TWRP 2.0 is solely supported here at RootzWiki.

Edited by Pyrostic, 18 December 2011 - 11:49 AM.

• 6 Likes

gaurav2328

gaurav2328

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:00 AM #2

Okie.. so I am struck for last four-five hours. I think, I flashed the old recovery image and then when I rebooted after finishing the install, it is just struck at this yellow triangle. I tried everything I could find but none of them is working. Windows is not recognizing Kindle Fire, it is listed as unknown device in device manager and I tried use the driver which I used at the time of rooting but windows does not accept them. Fastboot keeps waiting for the device.
Although I am fairly handy at all these things, but as I am not a dev thus not able to figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by gaurav2328, 18 December 2011 - 09:01 AM.

• 0 Likes

bjanice44

bjanice44

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:04 AM #3

Okie.. so I am struck for last four-five hours. I think, I flashed the old recovery image and then when I rebooted after finishing the install, it is just struck at this yellow triangle. I tried everything I could find but none of them is working. Windows is not recognizing Kindle Fire, it is listed as unknown device in device manager and I tried use the driver which I used at the time of rooting but windows does not accept them. Fastboot keeps waiting for the device.
Although I am fairly handy at all these things, but as I am not a dev thus not able to figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the same exact spot. Please help. I cannot get fastboot at all.

I followed the updated instructions with the updated file from this morning over on the kindle fire thread.

I did not use the method below:

dd if=/sdcard/twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
dd if=/sdcard/u-boot.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2

I followed the instructions in the thread above and on the kff forum over in XDA.

Edited by bjanice44, 18 December 2011 - 09:30 AM.

• 0 Likes

KrelvinAZ

KrelvinAZ

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:07 AM #4

It would be helpful if you provided a recap of what this is, what it does and why you might want to do it.

Having the instructions is fine, but a lot of people will see this and think they need it, when they really don't know what they are doing. Including ALL the info to accomplish this might reduce the number of questions.

o What should be done before attempting this (backups, copies of data, commands that should be run/captured)
o Where to get the Fastboot command
o MD5sum of the image file to validate you have the right one.
o Ramifications of doing this (effects OTA's from Amazon??), allows you to make system level backups etc...

Edited by KrelvinAZ, 18 December 2011 - 09:45 AM.

• 0 Likes

rwphwp

rwphwp

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:21 AM #5

I'm stuck at the yellow triangle as well. No adb or fastboot. I'm just posting to let others know. I'll keep checking back for solutions. It'll be great to get ics up and running! Also, thanks to the devs for the hard work.
  • 0 Likes

bjanice44

bjanice44

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:26 AM #6

I'm stuck at the yellow triangle as well. No adb or fastboot. I'm just posting to let others know. I'll keep checking back for solutions. It'll be great to get ics up and running! Also, thanks to the devs for the hard work.

I think those of us stuck at the yellow triangle are permanently bricked.
  • 0 Likes

Houndog101

Houndog101

Average Android

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:30 AM #7

I just did the above install, everything finished ok , but when I rebooted its stuck at the yellow triangle screen (at the bottom it says "press power button for recovery") and it just stays there. When I hold power button till it shuts off and power on it comes back to that same screen.. Whats going on ? Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

OP Pyrostic

Pyrostic

• 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:33 AM #8

I think those of us stuck at the yellow triangle are permanently bricked.

No you are not perma bricked, the delay that U-Boot has is too short for Fastboot to recognize on Windows. For a fix we will have to get you booted into linux I beleive.
  • 0 Likes

bjanice44

bjanice44

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:36 AM #9

No you are not perma bricked, the delay that U-Boot has is too short for Fastboot to recognize on Windows. For a fix we will have to get you booted into linux I beleive.

I have my system set up to dual boot into unbuntu or windows. I have never adb or fastbooted in there though.
  • 0 Likes

dranyam

dranyam

Android Beginner

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:41 AM #10

Well this is interesting... I got TWRP installed, and after doing so I went to reboot the device from inside of cyanogenmod and I told it to reboot into recovery.. it did I made a backup and I thought all was well until I went to reboot it and now no matter how I reboot it, it goes back to TWRP recovery. I mean I assume I am still ok as I have a recovery and a backup..... But how in the world do I get it to boot back into the os ?
  • 1 Likes