- - - - -

How to Install TWRP 2.0 (Linux)

• Please log in to reply

OP Rogan

Rogan

Supporting Member

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:39 AM #1

Disclaimer:

I'm only providing this to ease the process of installing TWRP, some people are really unfamiliar with fastboot and a guide is always handy. If you brick your device, its on your own head. I'm only sharing how I went about installing TWRP.

Requirements:

You must have access to adb and be rooted on your stock KF or be running cm7. You'll also need the fastboot binary, its attached to this post. Unzip the binary and place it into the Android SDK's Platform-tools folder. Also make sure that fastboot is executable. TWRP2 is here, place it in your Platform-tools folder as well. You should have everything you need to install TWRP now.

Connect your KF to you computer and open a terminal.

Navigate to your platform-tools folder

cd Path to platform-tools

Once here check to see your KF is recognized by ADB
sudo ADB devices

*Note you may have to use the command Sudo ./adb devices, it really depends on how you have your SDK setup.

If you see a series of numbers it verifies your KF is being seen by ADB. Next you'll type

sudo ADB shell or sudo ./adb shell

Then ask for root permission
SU

Next you'll need to set your bootmode to fastboot

idme bootmode 4002

It will tell you that <idme> write 4002 to offset 0x1000. Now you'll need to exit the shell

Exit

Exit

Once you're back in your platform-tools folder restart adb

Sudo adb reboot or sudo ./adb reboot

ADB will restart then you can issue the fastboot command

sudo fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.RC0.img or sudo ./fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.RC0.img

If memory serves me correctly, the device will reboot to TWRP and saying its installed. It will reboot itself. Once rebooted you'll be shown a yellow triangle with a fire on it. Don't panic as its a modified bootloader that allows you to access your recovery. It boots here because your device is still set to boot into the bootloader. To fix this type

sudo fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000 or sudo ./fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000

Then simply give fastboot the command to reboot

sudo fastboot reboot or sudo ./fastboot reboot

Your device will reboot to the bootloader again, except this time it only stays like that for a short period in order for you to access your recovery if need be. To access TWRP simply hold your power button down for around 2 seconds. Your power button will change to an orange color, release the button and TWRP will show up. If you do nothing at the bootloader your rom of choice will continue to boot.

Attached Files

Edited by Rogan, 18 December 2011 - 01:58 AM.

• 1 Likes
Current Phone: Droid Incredible 2

Current Tablet: Nexus 7 16 gb

Earlier Devices: Droid Eris, Motorola Droid, Kindle Fire

Ch4m3l30n

Ch4m3l30n

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:57 AM #2

Is this still valid on 2.6.1?

I'm having trouble...

root@Chameleon:/home/paul/Downloads/Android/Amazon Kindle Fire# tail -n 2 ~/.bashrc
#Android SDK Tools
export PATH=${PATH}:$HOME/android/platform-tools/

root@Chameleon:/home/paul/Downloads/Android/Amazon Kindle Fire# echo ff2486523e51639542a0b96a6b4af028 ; md5sum twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img
ff2486523e51639542a0b96a6b4af028
ff2486523e51639542a0b96a6b4af028  twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img
root@Chameleon:/home/paul/Downloads/Android/Amazon Kindle Fire# fastboot -i 0x1949 boot ./twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img
< waiting for device >
downloading 'boot.img'...
FAILED (status read failed (Value too large for defined data type))
finished. total time: 25.022s

• 0 Likes

OP Rogan

Rogan

Supporting Member

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:45 PM #3

Do you have root with 2.6.1?
  • 0 Likes

adbirdie

adbirdie

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:00 PM #4

Hi, I followed your instructions, yet my fastboot was not executable. I'm now stuck in fastboot. Any idea how to fix it? Do i need to replace the fastboot or how do i get it to boot normally. Thanks.
  • 0 Likes

OP Rogan

Rogan

Supporting Member

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:50 PM #5

To make it executable, right click fastboot, then properties. Click permissions, and click the make executable option.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Edited by Rogan, 25 December 2011 - 09:01 PM.

• 0 Likes

kittyprincess66

kittyprincess66

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:44 PM #6

getting an error trying to load twrp, says

cannot load 'twrp-blaze-2.0.RC0.img'
  • 0 Likes

kittyprincess66

kittyprincess66

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:06 PM #7

ok that problem resolved, now laggs at waiting for device :( Will keep trying, I wonder if it is still using the device id 0x1949. have also tried 18d1. Still no go. I had to add the other as it got stuck in the amazon bootloader without animation, now it boots regularly and still rooted. it is recognized as a device again in adb-linux. I have mod'd these commands only to include that variable it is sudo ./adb-linux <command> for me for some reason. thank you in advance
  • 0 Likes

OP Rogan

Rogan

Supporting Member

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:02 AM #8

If it's waiting for the device just reboot the kindle fire, then once it shows the bootloader again just run your fastboot command. It should see the device if you restart it.
  • 1 Likes

AproSamurai

AproSamurai

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:28 AM #9

To everyone who was having issues with the <waiting for device> prompt.

Run

Sudo -s

fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000

fastboot reboot.

And then you'll be all good.
  • 0 Likes

dogwith2bones

dogwith2bones

Android Beginner

• 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:58 AM #10

I screwed up and can only connect to my KF in recovery (when I ADB devices i get a series of numbers followed by "recovery"). I have a factory cable as well but I get the same results. When I try to execute idme or fastboot (basically any adb command in shell) I get /sbin/sh [command]:not found. Any ideas?
  • 0 Likes