- - - - -

[How to] Flash factory images to fix your brick

• Please log in to reply

OP kman79

kman79

Android Apprentice

• 113 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:04 PM #1

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to write a guide on how to utilize the factory images that were released today. I'd like to go back to the out-of-box state because I seem to have messed something up. I'm unable to get into recovery, I tried install clockwork mod, and obviously I've done something wrong. The phone still boots up and functions and I'm still able to get into fastboot, I'm just unable to get into recovery.

I'd like to start fresh from an out-of-box state, but I'm having a hard time finding the commands to utilize the factory images to do so. Any help with this is greatly appreciated
  • 0 Likes

swimminsurfer256

swimminsurfer256

Nerd

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:13 PM #2

After I pseudo-bricked my Nexus after rooting it I had to get it back. There were 3 images in the thing I found: boot.img, system.img, and userdata.img (sometimes called data.img I think). It let my phone boot again (after being pretty much bricked -- I forgot that locking/unlocking bootloader would wipe data and I also factory reset/wiped system and data/media / sdcard wouldn't mount). I'm pretty sure the ones I used were for the GSM version because my radio didn't work after but if they released the CDMA/LTE then definitely use those!
You just do:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot reboot

Worked great to fix my phone :)

Edited by swimminsurfer256, 15 December 2011 - 08:13 PM.

• 3 Likes
Wanna know how computing devices work, why processor speed really isn't that important, and kinda how caching systems work? Click here!

OP kman79

kman79

Android Apprentice

• 113 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:18 AM #3

Thanks for the post.

It did help. However, my stock recovery is still not functional, it just shows a green android on his back with a Red Triangle with a Black exclamation mark on his chest :( Any ideas?
  • 0 Likes

humungus

humungus

Android Beginner

• 23 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:52 AM #4

Thanks for the post.

It did help. However, my stock recovery is still not functional, it just shows a green android on his back with a Red Triangle with a Black exclamation mark on his chest :( Any ideas?

When you get to that screen (with the red triangle), just press all the buttons and stock recovery should open.
  • 0 Likes

runandhide05

runandhide05

Android Guru

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:08 AM #5

It wont open if he flashed cwm and has not fastboot the stock recovery. U need to fast boot the stock recovery. Or reflash cwm. Ice noticed like others mine will not steady flashed after a reboot. So I have to flask cwm each time that I want to go into cwm. Using room manager is the easiest way
  • 0 Likes

JWellington

JWellington

Android Lover

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:19 AM #6

-Extract Everything in the .tgz . The TAR too.
- open the flash-all.sh
- look at it
- execute every command in a command prompt/terminal

Of course, you must already have adb and fastboot all setup properly.
Source: I just did it myself;

Be careful with the radio images, as there are two of them, and they are different. I borked mine the first time mixing them up. It's all good now though.
  • 0 Likes

andrewp3481

andrewp3481

Android Beginner

• 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:31 AM #7

Yo, I just want to say thank you to the community for always helping out. That being said I have a question. Has there been a perm recovery img released? I flashed the cwm 5.x toro.img and was able to flash a su.zip then I even downloaded rom manager and flashed the recovery again like I had read. So my question is....is that if I have my boot loader unlocked and I've flashed cwm via fast boot and rom manager, then why can't I access cwm via the boot loader?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki Forums
  • 0 Likes

swimminsurfer256

swimminsurfer256

Nerd

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:45 AM #8

Here, I made a post with a step-by-step as well as a link to the images that I found
http://rootzwiki.com...bricked-phones/
  • 0 Likes
Wanna know how computing devices work, why processor speed really isn't that important, and kinda how caching systems work? Click here!

thepolishguy

thepolishguy

overcome evil with good

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:46 AM #9

-Extract Everything in the .tgz . The TAR too.
- open the flash-all.sh
- look at it
- execute every command in a command prompt/terminal

Of course, you must already have adb and fastboot all setup properly.
Source: I just did it myself;

Be careful with the radio images, as there are two of them, and they are different. I borked mine the first time mixing them up. It's all good now though.

Can I ask you to elaborate on this post just a bit?

I opened the .sh file and see the licensing agreement and then the fastboot commands...

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15

imgfastboot reboot-bootloadersleep 5fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02

imgfastboot reboot-bootloadersleep 5fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05

imgfastboot reboot-bootloadersleep 5fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip

so I can just copy and paste these in order and it will return my phone to stock icl53f?

Sorry - I am just wanting to make sure I understand the process. Because I have seen a few different methods. thanks.

****EDIT****

And before someone asks - yes I saw the post right above mine and I did read it. That is why I have questions. Like I said - it may simply be 2 different methods of accomplishing the same thing - but that is why I am looking for clarification. The fastboot commands inside the .sh file look like they install everything in the .zip without having to extract them plus it looks like it does a few extra things that would not be done if you simply extracting the .zip and flashing the files. For instance - there are no radio files in the .zip.

kthxbai

Edited by thepolishguy, 16 December 2011 - 08:55 AM.

• 0 Likes

JWellington

JWellington

Android Lover

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:54 PM #10

Assuming you have everything setup already....

cd to the directory
adb devices
[if you see something listen here, good]
adb reboot bootloader
[wait for bootloader]
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15dsa
fastboot reboot-bootloader
[wait]
fastboot flash radio radio radio-toro-i515.ek02
fastboot reboot-bootloader
flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05
fastboot reboot-bootloader.
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip

Done!EDIT: Typo

Edited by JWellington, 16 December 2011 - 03:13 PM.

• 1 Likes