Android OS Forum banner

[How-To] Step by Step OEM Unlock and Root

202K views 276 replies 118 participants last post by  Atreides 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
DO NOT USE THIS WITH ANY OTHER ROOT METHODS, THIS DOES IT ALL.

CONVERSATION WITH OTHER ROOT METHODS SHOULD BE IN ANOTHER THREAD

As people seem to be having trouble with this, heres a general walkthrough.

BEFORE DOING THIS - I recommend you install all updates.

THIS SHOULD WORK FOR BOTH CDMA AND GSM

General credits to Koush here - https://plus.google....sts/1Jsh9xPwnQP

Prerequisites:
  • ADB installed and ready to go
Get Downloads:

Fastboot#LINUX#
  • For proper set up of UDEV rules in case your machine doesn't recognize your device use this guide by dusinmj to get ALL device id's working.
!WINDOWS! (one of these driver packages will work, i suggest trying the first one first and going to the second one only if you get "waiting for device" in fastboot.)Choose one Custom Recovery and one Root Manager
Let us begin

How to unlock your phone

WARNING: Unlocking your phone does a factory reset. Everything will be erased.
  • open terminal (command prompt for windows) and change to directory of the fastboot binary (or add to path...but if you can do that then why are you reading this)
  • power off your phone
  • Hold your volume up and down and power button, wait for a vibrate and let go of buttons. (if in windows, wait for drivers to install)
  • run:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  • choose yes on the unlock option on your phone screen.
  • press volume down till you get the "restart" option, then press power to select it.
  • phone will reboot a couple times then boot up.
  • Make sure phone has booted.
*YOUR PHONE IS NOW UNLOCKED*

Now to install the Custom Recovery and Root Manager
  • Copy the root manager zip to your sdcard in android
  • power off your phone
  • boot into fastboot mode
  • Place the recovery img file in the same folder as fastboot
    Note: For the next step replace "nameofrecovery" with the file name of the recovery you downloaded.
  • run
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
  • press volume down till you get the "recovery mode" option, press power to select recovery.
  • select install zip from sdcard
  • select the root manager zip you put on your sdcard
YOU ARE NOW ROOTED, BUT YOUR CUSTOM RECOVERY WILL NOT STAY AROUND IF YOU UPDATED TO 4.0.2 VIA OTA UPDATE, AS I RECOMMENDED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST. SOO....
  • in terminal run:
    Code:
    adb shell
  • then run:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /system
  • then run:
    Code:
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.bak
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE DOING THIS STEP, JUST USE ROOT EXPLORER TO DELETE THE install-recovery.sh FILE. OR GO INTO ROM MANAGER AND REFLASH CLOCKWORK. EITHER METHOD WORKS

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
you should mention setting up your udev rules in linux. i got caught up there for a while.

EDIT - The guide you linked ot in the post in incomplete. You need fastboot rules setup as well. I had my ADB rules setup, but not fastboot. Caused fastboot to hang at < Waiting for device >. My info was taken from here. http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

Code:
<br />
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules<br />
and add these lines with your username substituted in

Code:
# adb protocol on maguro (Galaxy Nexus)<br />
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"<br />
# fastboot protocol on maguro (Galaxy Nexus)<br />
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"

#224 ·
you should mention setting up your udev rules in linux. i got caught up there for a while.

EDIT - The guide you linked ot in the post in incomplete. You need fastboot rules setup as well. I had my ADB rules setup, but not fastboot. Caused fastboot to hang at < Waiting for device >. My info was taken from here. http://source.androi...itializing.html

Code:
<br />
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules<br />
and add these lines with your username substituted in

Code:
# adb protocol on maguro (Galaxy Nexus)<br />
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"<br />
# fastboot protocol on maguro (Galaxy Nexus)<br />
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
Just for clarity, since I'm going to be doing this Monday: is this step absolutely necessary or is the 99 .rules file enough?

#3 ·
Shouldn't you only boot the recovery and not flash it until one thats meant for the LTE Nexus comes out?

#30 ·
"I was getting the wait for device... when i went into devices and printers ( wrong spot ) but i saw the android 1.0 with a yellow exclamation point. I clicked on it and properties/ update driver. manually browse and then choosed driver from list. I saw samsung android phone... proceeded with fastboost oem unlock etc...boom all went well"

found it in the comments on droidlife... worked perfect for me. i was having trouble with other drivers... have the phone in bootloader when you go to load the driver

#39 ·
Where am i running clockwork recovery img from? i run it in the code like you'd think and i get "error: cannot load" and if i try to run it as a program it opens up the cd burner. Why am i so lost here when I've been doing this for so long? Am I supposed to put it on the root of the phone's "sdcard" and there was for some reason no step saying this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.